Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop Schlafly Big Muddy Adventures paddlestop.com The Nature Conservancy In Missouri StilL 630 ust EquipmentShare Terrain Magazine Midwest Paddle Adventures Pfefferkorn Engineering & EnvironmentalSome Beach Outfitters Llama Racks Lewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center healthyriverspartnership.com<Paddle KC
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Seat hanger installation question (Read 60 times)
06/08/22 at 05:16:24

raoul duke   Offline
Future Participant

I just picked up a used Wenonah V1A. The previous owner removed the seat hangers to reinforce the ribs. What's the best way to reinstall the hangers into the ribs? I was thinking of drilling a hole into the rib slightly larger than the screw I would use, putting epoxy into the hole, redrilling a smaller hole in the epoxy, and then securing the hanger onto the rib with a screw into that hole (reinforced with a layer of epoxy between the hanger and the rib). Is this the right approach?  What epoxy works well between aluminum and kevlar/carbon?

Thanks.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 06/15/22 at 21:09:26

ChrisD   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Bangor, ME

I did something similar to firm up a footbrace attached to ribs on a Wenonah kevlar boat. I used JB Weld clear. I suggest using pop rivets rather than screws. Screws would tend to work themselves loose.

Are you sure there aren't aluminum brackets inside the ribs? Wenonah usually does that when seats are attached to ribs, and if the previous owner mainly worked on the outside of the ribs they might still be there.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 06/16/22 at 12:17:05

raoul duke   Offline
Future Participant

Thanks for the advice, Chris. I didn't think to check for aluminum brackets, but I'll do so.

Assuming no brackets, I would drill a hole, fill it with JB Weld, drill a smaller hole in the JB weld, and then put the rivet in that hole?

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 06/16/22 at 19:55:36

ChrisD   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Bangor, ME

If the inside wall of the rib is strong, you might not even need epoxy. I'd drill for the rivet first (presumably 3/16") and see how it looks. If the sides of the hole look solid, then maybe you just install the seat hangers and be done with it. If not, then as you say, fill a slightly larger hole with epoxy so you have something solid for the rivet to hold on to.

When I did it I was dealing with an already blown out hole (random whitewater incident), so I knew I had to firm things up.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print