Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop Llama RacksPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com paddlestop.comOlathe Ford Lincoln MercuryFarmer's InsuranceLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature CenterSome Beach Outfittersprojectathena.org healthyriverspartnership.comMidwest Paddle Adventures
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2019 race info?? And Props to Landick the Legend! (Read 822 times)
11/18/19 at 11:19:46

Marcus   Offline
Future Participant
Orange County, CA

I've been following the news stories and couple bits of info I have found, but all the 2019 info still references 40+ competitors, not the 4 that actually attempted the 2019 Ice Gauntlet 340.

Very impressive showing by everyone who started.

Does anyone know specifically which boat Landick paddled? It looks like a Crozeir V1 Corbin to me, but I'm curious if anyone knows exactly which make/model it is. (or is it a Savage River JDII or Corbin Coatworks Corbin?)

Also, does anyone have more pics/info of the pedal paddle boat? That thing is nifty. 

Last, Landick is a LEGEND. I mean, he has been for a while, but this has to be one of the harder races when you factor in the temp, tippy boat, risks of cold water, and continuous push. (Vore too). I'd be curious to know what he thought of this race compared to the other extreme navigations he's done over the many years. Anyone know how old he is now? hes gota be over 60, no? Again, extremely impressive feat!

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 11/26/19 at 18:55:01

Jeff Behrns   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
St. Louis, MO

It was a hell of a race to watch.  I believe it was a V1A mixer with the wider stern which Landick heavily modified.  They pretty much ran a 100% perfect on tactics.  Looked effortless.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 01/10/20 at 09:57:35

J. Vore   Offline
Future Participant

This is a belated reply and I apologize for not seeing it sooner!

To answer your questions, Marcus, Jeff is correct. The Dark Knight is a heavily modified Wenonah V1A Mixer. Steve has raised the gunwales at the bow and stern and added a huge amount of flare above the midships waterline so that she's sporting a 40-inch beam. That makes it a fast boat on the water, but with the flare to lend incredible stability when things get rough. And, by rough, we often paddle it in 3 and 4 foot downwind conditions on Lake Superior without difficulty.

In true Landick fashion, he's invested a massive amount of experience, time, and craftsmanship in creating adjustable-height seats, a great rudder system, and all of the thoughtful details that make it possible to be in the boat for 35 hours and 27 minutes in comfort and efficiency.

If I could only have one canoe . . . I'd steal the Dark Knight from Steve. :-D

Steve IS a legend. I've been following him since I was a brand new pre-teen paddler in the late 80s. I've known him for about 4 years and we just started paddling together in June of 2019. Even more than being a legend, Steve is a good person and one that I'm beyond honored to call my friend. Paddling with him is a great experience, but calling him my friend is priceless.

He's 66 at the moment. I'll ask him your question about how the MR340 stacked up against the other races of similar length that he's done and get back to you.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 01/10/20 at 14:57:52

J. Vore   Offline
Future Participant

Marcus wrote on 11/18/19 at 11:19:46:
I'd be curious to know what he thought of this race compared to the other extreme navigations he's done over the many years.

Steve and I just had coffee and I asked him this question. Here's what he said (paraphrased as closely as I can 60 minutes removed from the conversation):

Quote:
It's impossible to really compare because the challenges of every race are so different. Obviously, the November weather was a challenge, but it was also one of our strengths. The river, itself, wasn't technical, but it was a constant hunt for the fast water, especially after a long flooding period that blew out and remapped the river channel.

The biggest differentiator for the MR340 was Scott Mansker. I've never seen a race director that dedicated, flexible, and engaged in the success of a race. His commitment was amazing and a huge motivator on the river.

(I solemnly swear that Scott did not pay for that last paragraph. I can also attest to a conversation at dinner the night before the race where Steve said, "After everything Scott has done to make this happen, we owe it to him to finish strong.")

So, there you go. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print