" />

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop Llama RacksPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com paddlestop.comOlathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature CenterSome Beach Outfitters
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dumb idea? (Read 711 times)
05/27/19 at 20:40:08

Cander   Offline
Future Participant

I've never done a race, that being said I have fished out of a kayak a bunch and canoed in small rivers and lakes. With the Gritty being moved I could be free that's date. Could a guy find a boat (cheap) and be able to do the race? Like in a 10' or 12' fishing yak? I haven't paddeled in over a year. I want to start doing races. I wanted to do the gritty to get my feet wet but have a prior commitment with a goruck race this Saturday. But now that the date has changed? Just thinking out loud

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 05/28/19 at 10:18:38

Meanhorse   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran

I would think you could. I would suggest shooting for something a little faster then one of the little fishing kayaks. It makes the race a little better if you can keep up with people you meet. But if thats what you end up with our have. Try it.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 05/30/19 at 19:20:29

Jaybee   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Knoxville, TN

It's been done so yes, you could do it.  I seem to recall that several years ago a guy posted that he bought a kayak from Dicks a few weeks before the MR then entered and completed the race.  So yes, it can be done.

You'll have a higher chance of failure than someone who has been planning, practicing and has a faster boat and you'll have to work pretty hard the first day to stay ahead of cut-offs, but it can be done.

Jim
Boat # 3489
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print