Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop Llama RacksPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com paddlestop.comOlathe Ford Lincoln MercuryFarmer's InsuranceLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature CenterSome Beach Outfittersprojectathena.org healthyriverspartnership.comMidwest Paddle Adventures
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
South Dakota Kayak Challenge 2019 (Read 1129 times)
04/05/19 at 10:45:31

wcopaddler   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Colorado

I'm planning to race this year's SDKC as a warmup race for the MR340.† I'll be racing with my niece, who is new to canoeing, so we want to use it to get a little practice for her, and our ground crew, who will be new this year.

For those who've done the race before, any thoughts on how it might compare to Day 1 of the MR340?† Will we be able to get a good feel for things at the checkpoints, etc?† We want to practice food, water, resupply, etc., essentially treating it as the first day of the big race.

Also, any chance someone has a GPS channel track for that section?† I'll be coming from 800 miles away, and she's almost 200 away, so we won't have any time to get to know the river.

Any thoughts and input on the race will be greatly appreciated!

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 04/05/19 at 21:19:41

Jeff Behrns   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
St. Louis, MO

From a purely physical standpoint, yes it's comparable to day 1 of MR340, if not more challenging especially if the weather turns.  It's a unique race. It's a beautiful section of the river and the race is organized extremely well.  The checkpoints are less crazy/busy than the 340.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 04/06/19 at 10:25:30

GaryE   Offline
7X MR340 Veteran
Mount Carroll, IL

I did the SDKC last year and will again this year, itís very well organized. Distance is the same as paddling to Waverly, 20 miles short of the minimum recommend distance for the mr340 first day. The first 50 miles I would describe as a water dessert, wide shallow sand dead trees islands and hard to figure out the channel, beautiful in its own way. The last 20 miles is channelized, the weather was great last year and the power boating was intense in this section, I hesitated to cross at the bends to stay in the fast water. The river was moving fast at the finish line be prepared for the turn into the boat ramp. This year I printed the check point to check point maps to maybe have a better guess about the channel for the first 50 miles. Iíll be in a 18X sport #1251, say hi if you see me, itís a 400 hundred mile drive for me so I must have liked it.

One of The Legendary Carp Whisperers (seen on 340paddler)
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 04/07/19 at 14:53:15

wcopaddler   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Colorado

Thanks Gary and Jeff - It sounds like it will be a good warm-up for us.  We're looking forward to it.  I had heard that finding the channel can be a bit of a challenge (hence my looking for a GPS track).

We'll be a mixed tandem in a kevlar Minnesota II, number 8714.  We'll keep an eye out for you!

Paul

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 04/30/19 at 13:32:19

Pete Roscoe   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
Wildwood, MO

I'll also be heading there this year from St.Louis for mixed tandem. First time doing the South Dakota race. Have a good race!
Pete

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 05/01/19 at 16:31:10

wcopaddler   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Colorado

Thanks Pete.  I'm sure we'll see each other since we're mixed tandem as well.  What will you paddling?  First time for us there as well, but I hear good things about it.

Paul

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 05/05/19 at 17:18:32

HoganHaake   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Saint. Louis, Missouri

Pete,

We're heading to our 3rd SDKC from Webster Groves, MO this year. We love that race and are looking forward to it! Hope to see you up there!

Hogan

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 05/07/19 at 21:10:04

Pete Roscoe   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
Wildwood, MO

Paul we'll be in a tandem 18X kayak. Looking forward to seeing you, Hogan's team, and others from the area. Sounds like a fun race. I've been hoping to make the trip for a few years now. I'm happy to finally be signed up.
Pete

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print