" />

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop Llama RacksPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com paddlestop.comOlathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature CenterSome Beach Outfitters
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MR340 ProPaddler Texting (Read 771 times)
03/02/19 at 07:14:48

Jon Marble   Offline
8X MR340 Veteran

Google is in the process of a security clamp down on apps that automatically send text messages. Google is moving their developer base toward the more restrictive Apple model; which simply does not allow text messages from applications.

Unfortunately, the 340 ProPaddler app is impacted by the change. Autotexting features - auto checkin and checkout as well as crew ETA texting - will be removed by March 9th. Cry

The good news is that there are other options. Hogan and I are working hard to migrate the ProPaddler texting functionality into Raceowl. This would effectively open up auto checkin and out to anyone with some form of a tracker (phone, Garmin, or spot). More information on that to come.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 03/06/19 at 07:42:56

MoRiverSwimmerToo   Offline
Future Participant

So the texting function hopefully will move to RaceOwl. That app works with an iPhone but will you still need an Android phone for the navigation/channel feature of the MR340 paddler app?  If so, are there any good hints out there on which Android burner phone I can buy at Walmart is most compatible?

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 05/26/19 at 23:45:36

I Hear Banjos Dan   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran

Any new updates on this? Also, if the ability to have auto checkin and out with a Spot tracker becomes available, could you possibly make a video on your YouTube channel showing how to set it up and use it? That would be awesome! Thanks for all your hard work Jon! See you on the river!

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 05/28/19 at 15:53:50

Jon Marble   Offline
8X MR340 Veteran

The modified version of the android checkpoint texter is on the store. It is not as good as it was, but the double send is not too bad.

For the better solution, Hogan and I have been actively testing auto-checkin on the Raceowl website.  It has been pretty challenging. We're using all the recorded GPS updates from the 2018 race for testing. And I'll say that in general, the algorithm is working and matching 'truth' checkin/out history within a few minutes so long as the track data is semi-clean. The challenge is making it robust to the most messed up track data that is out there (examples: really, really sparse GPS data like 1 ping for the whole race or when you give your cell phone to your ground crew who then tracks 'you' all the way to Chicago).

If we can get there with a robust enough system, then all you will need to do is track yourself with some device.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print