Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop Llama RacksPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Doing the MR340 without a Ground Crew?? (Read 499 times)
12/27/18 at 19:10:28

Waterboy   Offline
Future Participant
KC

Anyone have any info or tips on doing the MR340 without a Ground Crew? Are there any shuttling outfits or options at the finish line or checkpoints? Do the checkpoints have public water sources available? I understand a ground crew would be a great help, but I need to know what my options are if without one.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 12/27/18 at 20:56:07

JC3053   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran

Do not over pack!!!  I have done the race twice without  aground crew.  You can get food and water at the check points. stick with the required gear list.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 12/29/18 at 10:47:15

Notorious D.A.D.   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Wichita KS/Scottsdale AZ

I've done it both ways.  With a crew is easier, but without is totally doable.  In fact I may be going that way again this year.

There's water available at pretty much every checkpoint, and food for purchase at most, depending on when you hit them.

Take half as much gear and twice as much money (in small bills) as you think you'll need and you'll be fine.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 01/01/19 at 10:32:01

Jim Tyrrell - 2525   Offline
8X MR340 Veteran
St. Louis

I've finished the 340 seven times, and have gone solo unsupported every time.  Each year, I take less and less.  Food and water can be generally resupplied at most checkpoints.  I take a handful (and wide variety) of snacks from the start.  All other ground crews will get you what you need in a pinch. 

I prefer no support, as I can't be tempted to stay too long at a stop or crawl into a car with AC. 

Game plan to push to Dalton Bottoms night 1, Mokane night 2, then finish.  Glory will be yours.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 01/01/19 at 13:08:38

Waterboy   Offline
Future Participant
KC

Thanks to everyone that responded. How did you handle getting your boat back to KC?
Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 01/01/19 at 21:47:56

Wayfarer   Offline
10X MR340 Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Fort Collins, CO

My shuttle service is called Amtrak

http://race.fit2paddle.com/self-shuttle-by-amtrak-during-missouri-river-340-race...

for the last 7 years or so.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 01/07/19 at 19:37:21

Team Barenaked   Offline
Future Participant

Wayfarer wrote on 01/01/19 at 21:47:56:
My shuttle service is called Amtrak

http://race.fit2paddle.com/self-shuttle-by-amtrak-during-missouri-river-340-race...

for the last 7 years or so.

Do you load your rig on the Amtrak too?

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 01/07/19 at 22:22:24

Wayfarer   Offline
10X MR340 Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Fort Collins, CO

I am just taking morning Amtrak on Friday from Kirkwood to Kansas City, and  then returning with my car to St Charles, usually, in time for the award ceremony.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 01/10/19 at 22:34:23

DeniseD   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
4X Ground Crew Veteran
St. Louis

You can leave boats at the boathouse till the race ends at least. 

There are also safety boats heading back up river to KC after the race, might be able to hitch a ride with one of them.

You could also probably leave a vehicle at the boathouse on Monday morning before the race and catch a ride to KC with a STL paddler, then your vehicle waiting for you at the end of the race. This would be easiest to do if your boat waits in KC.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 01/11/19 at 14:27:04

Waterboy   Offline
Future Participant
KC

Thanks, two good ideals I had not thought of. The like the ideal of connecting with someone from St. Louis, that is paddling without a ground crew also, benefits both parties. Awesome!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print