" />

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop Llama RacksPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com paddlestop.comOlathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature CenterSome Beach Outfitters
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ICD's (inserted cardio devices) question (Read 590 times)
12/19/18 at 11:15:41

bamalongboat   Offline
Future Participant

Hello people,
Does anyone have any experience with paddling with an ICD (basically a heart pacer and/or defibulator combo ? I have paddled for about 14 years and will be able to start again in February ... after having one installed... lots of info on backpacking and body building but paddling not so much... yet.
thanks

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 01/04/19 at 10:09:59

bamalongboat   Offline
Future Participant

About 4 weeks after implant and all seems well... several 4 hour hikes finished with no issue... will attempt to shoot my traditional bow this weekend, maybe ride my motorcycle and if all goes well kayak in a couple of weeks

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 01/08/19 at 16:25:47

thatwolfieguy   Offline
Future Participant

I would ask your cardiologist about it, but I would think it would be a good thing. Steady state cardio is going to be popular with the heart docs.
I think the bigger issue would be making sure you don't develop an electrolyte imbalance during the race. That could get very dangerous.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 05/29/19 at 20:48:38

Grit   Offline
Future Participant

I agree with the electrolyte imbalance, also have you done any longer distance paddling with it yet.  I wonder how sore it might get with that repetitive paddling motion and the location of the ICD.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print