Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop St. James WineryPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
2018 OUAD Aluminum roll call (Read 1101 times)
05/08/18 at 17:40:02

MurKee Water   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

well here we go again...who will pursue the cup this year? Who has the chutzpah to do the distance in an aluminum canoe and take a shot at the cup? All you have to do is be the first to St. Charles, how hard could that be? The Paddlehawks are registered and it took them nearly 47 hours to finish it last year. They were only able to finish 9th overall, and 2nd in men's tandem. Maybe they can do better this year, assuming they are going aluminum again. It's unfortunate that aluminum canoes cant be competitive. Don't be intimidated though we are a great group if crazy paddlers and welcome one and all to the metal family.

We will keep to tradition and throw some money in a pot (aluminum of course) and the winner will take half and give the other half to our friends at River Relief.

More details to come but let's start spreading the word and get the names and numbers of the aluminum teams for 2018.

I'll start:

4620 YuKee Water....WARNING Lindsay is running marathons, planking like cray cray and practicing sleep deprivation....

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 05/08/18 at 17:49:20

D. Turley   Offline
Race Volunteer
Shawnee, KS USA

Boat 1862 Solo Kayak (I call it the Sawfish) is in. It’s aluminum, 12 foot and ready to run.
« Last Edit: 05/19/18 at 23:12:12 by D. Turley »  

D.Turley
Kaw River Paddler
KRV Sawfish (Osagian Kayak 12ft)
Greenland Paddle
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 05/08/18 at 19:35:55

MurKee Water   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

Never thought a kayak would be in the running, glad to have you Mr. Turley!

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 05/09/18 at 10:00:35

D. Turley   Offline
Race Volunteer
Shawnee, KS USA

At the end of the day the pot got bigger and that’s what counts. I needed 2 things in a kayak; 400lb weight limit and be made of aluminum just so I could still associate with my kind-heavy metal paddlers.

D.Turley
Kaw River Paddler
Greenland Paddle
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 05/18/18 at 11:11:06

Mni Wiconi   Offline
Future Participant

Mni Wiconi - boat 3428 - Mixed Tandem. Two rookies.

We will throw in on the pot with absolutely zero intention or expectation of being the first aluminum boat to St Charles.  Bringing my dads old 15' LoweLine.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 05/19/18 at 08:39:19

D. Turley   Offline
Race Volunteer
Shawnee, KS USA

What looks really cool is the drop off day for the race with all the aluminum parked together. All the battle scarred heavy duty beasts of the river with their padded seats and pool noodles. Remember that somebody in an aluminum canoe as given a good showing every year since this cup started and beaten a lot of more expensive boats to St. Charles.

D.Turley
Kaw River Paddler
Greenland Paddle
IP Logged

Reply #6 - 05/19/18 at 10:11:05

MurKee Water   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

Welcome Mni Wiconi, glad to have you! Be careful the competitive juices will get flowing! We all treat each other with the highest level of respect and Turley is correct seeing the aluminum boat together is pretty cool, but watch out for the degenerates.

image000000.jpg (610 KB | 71 )
image000000.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #7 - 05/19/18 at 10:19:04

Lindz Yung   Offline
Future Participant
Columbia, MO

This gun is ready to ROCK!!!

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 05/19/18 at 11:57:24

MurKee Water   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

That's what I'm talking about! Ask Scott to change your status to a much deserved veteran partner.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 05/25/18 at 23:52:10

I Hear Banjos Dan   Offline
MR340 Veteran

Team I Hear Banjos will be back for our second run! The 17' Alumacraft turned 50 this year, so it's only fitting to take her on a nice cruise down the river again! Looking forward to seeing all the other battleships out there!

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 05/26/18 at 10:51:43

Rusty Coons   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran

As always I will throw money in the pot. Even though I'm no longer paddling aluminum I still have a kinship with my fellow heavy metal paddlers. I may do it again in aluminum but not this year. When I do the TWS it will be aluminum again as well
Rusty Coons
Boat 3737

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 05/28/18 at 21:11:22

brian and marilyn   Offline
6X MR340 Veteran
Kawnivore Safety Boat Pilot
Kawnivore Veteran
Eldon MO

ALUMINAUGHTY will not be racing.  But you can bet we will be around.   And kicking in 💰 to the pot.

SYOTR.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 05/29/18 at 09:15:12

MurKee Water   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

great to have you back I Hear Banjos and happy birthday! Thanks, Rusty and Brian for your support! Another cool thing about the trophy is the memorialization of the race, Aluminaughty forever heroes!

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 05/30/18 at 19:28:35

Paddlehawks Nav   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran

PaddleHawks are in.

Sorry to hear we won't be rubbing aluminum with you on the river Brian and Marilyn but look forward to seeing you.

We'll bring the trophy to the safety meeting so those lighter boats can marvel at what they are missing out on!

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 05/31/18 at 09:13:52

MurKee Water   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

AWESOME! Glad to hear you will be defending the cup.
So here is the roster so far which I'm sure will grow.....
2008 Paddlehawks 2017 Trophy champs and record holder
1369 I Hear Banjos (back for more)
3428 Mni Wiconi (their inaugural race)
1862 D. Turley in the aluminum yak
4620 YuKee Water (going to skip the diner this year.....maybe)

keep them coming, spread the word, every year there are several aluminum boats that have not heard of this little shin dig...and it would be nice to make the pot nice for the winner and more importantly River Relief.

IP Logged

Reply #15 - 06/06/18 at 08:56:55

Manitou Paddler   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
2X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Record Holder

I just found another beaver and bought it.....seriously regretted selling my last one.  When I saw one of these rare birds for sale I figured it was a sign from the God's.

Is a beaver ligit for the aluminum division?  USCA had a hissy fit over them ....so just want to see what the view on this is.

right now Alma and I will ride kevlar for the race...but you never know  Cool

Silver Bullet

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #16 - 06/06/18 at 09:08:59

yankeeclipper   Offline
MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
2X Ground Crew Veteran
Katy 50 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

Beavers are always considered "cruisers" not stock aluminum. I was told for the 340 it is stock aluminum. Beavers got a bad reputation because good paddlers who couldn't do great in the open division used them in the stock aluminum. Gold hunters we called them plus there was only on manufacturer at the time. They got banned when a guy from Ohio came out with a lighter and faster aluminum but he (I
was told) only made 50 to qualify as a manufacturer. This arms race effectively killed a great, meaning big participation, class.
But you iron boat paddlers better decide now how you want to grow your class.

IP Logged

Reply #17 - 06/06/18 at 09:59:51

5X MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

Shocked

what about the even more rare 17 foot beaver...because that is what I think I found....will pick it up in a week or two

beaver.jpg (16 KB | 38 )
beaver.jpg

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #18 - 06/06/18 at 10:12:59

MurKee Water   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

We have a kayak in the division, and we have had multiple aluminum canoes with rudders, which would not be permitted in a stock class race, and there have been a couple of Beavers as well. We've been trying to grow interest and participation in the race since 2011. I'd rather kick Bryan's butt in his Beaver than not have them in the division at all. Charlie's point is well taken, the class could be more defined, but as small as it is presently I'm not too worried about it now. When we get 20-30 boats consistently than perhaps that would be the time to decide IMHO. Other participants thoughts?

IP Logged

Reply #19 - 06/06/18 at 10:46:37

5X MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

"its just a rabbit (beaver)"....run away

river is as river does
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2