Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop St. James WineryPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Boat addict? (Read 1644 times)
03/13/18 at 09:37:46

MurKee Water   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

I received a text from an anonymous source, we respect the right of disclosure, that I thought may initiate an interesting conversation. It went something like this..."I may have a paddling addiction. When you drive 9 hours in a vehicle you paid $800 for 6 years ago to pick up a boat worth twice that much, you might have a problem." I countered with.."I drove 4.5 hours each way after work on a Thursday night in my van that has a low air warning, head light out warning light on, washer fluid low, and check engine light on, my dash looks like a Christmas tree, arriving back in town at 3:00 am, getting to work at 8:00 am in the same close as the night before."
Are you an addict as well? I think Aluminaughty is. I know SteveW is Smiley
Bryan...MMMM boats good

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 03/13/18 at 14:48:48

briankay   Offline
Future Participant

I have logged about 17+ hours of windshield time fetching two boats-both worth about the same as my best vehicle.  Seems pretty average...

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 03/13/18 at 15:22:27

MurKee Water   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

Denial BrianKay, denial. Welcome to the club, you my friend, are an addict.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 03/13/18 at 16:44:31

Jaybee   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Knoxville, TN

There's a 12-step program for this boat addiction thing....

..... doesn't work though.

Jim
Boat # 3489
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 03/13/18 at 19:01:39

Dead Last Johnnie O   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
2X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Race Volunteer
3X Kawnivore Veteran
4X Kawlloween Veteran
See me on land? Tell me
GET BACK IN BOAT!!!
Belton,Mo

Yeah. 12 steps...to my garage with 5 boats and an SUP. Thanks goodness someone else bought the tandem Jensen and the SUP i recently lusted over but could not get My Financial Officer to agree to terms.  Roll Eyes

DLJ

The faster you can go, the less time you'll be in pain-FlyinLow
 Don't stop--West Hansen 
 DEAD LAST > DID NOT FINISH > DID NOT START
IP Logged

Reply #5 - 03/13/18 at 19:56:18

miki   Offline
Future Participant
Milwaukee, WI

I've bought a minivan, not because I have a big family but for the sole purpose so that I can sleep in my car and be on the water at sunset. It's the smallest one to be able to put my kayak on the roof. My wife probably didn't believe me when I've explained it. Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 03/13/18 at 21:36:33

Patrick M   Offline
Future Participant

Anybody driving from SD to Chicago area who wants to transport a boat and make some money?!?!?! Can't justify the 20 hours in a car to pick up a new surf ski when I am headed that way for the SDKC and it's too cold for most of the paddling I would do with it. But boy do I want it Sad

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 03/13/18 at 22:27:28

Yanoer   Offline
Future   Participant

Would 27 canoes and kayaks make me an addict?  Nah. 

Obsessed?  For sure.

Irresponsible and in debt?  Affirmative.

I’ll be selling some boats and gear over the next few months.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 03/14/18 at 06:32:40

Steve W   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran

IMO, there are people who go all in on what they do. Some of those things can destroy life quality (alcohol, drugs, etc) and some have the opportunity to improve life quality through a healthy activity, such as running, paddling, Pilates, whatever. Lots of good people & friends, i.e. other 'addicts' or co-dependents  Smiley to be had through paddling.

Millions of people have expensive hobbies, be it travel, power boats, guns or electronics. Admittedly, I don't need six boats to paddle but having them means no shortage of choices when going out with my paddling buddy (a 340 veteran), my wife, or other paddlers passing through from out of the area. Since this is under the for sale section, I have a beautiful row boat available to anyone needing that.

If this is wrong, I don't want to be right Cheesy. At least paddler's don't suffer from nature deficit disorder and learn lots of good environmental lessons, like how to pee while paddling. Try to remember that anything done to excess (MR 340?) can carry some consequences and risks. Guess that's why people climb Everest or do ultramarathons.

Fortunate enough to be able to have a few boats, keep my wife of 34 years and meet good folks on the river. Still like Bryan's motto best...MMMM, boats good  Grin.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 03/14/18 at 09:53:44

MurKee Water   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

I just thought it would be fun to hear about the crazy things people have done to buy and paddle boats. Rediscovery canoeing after many years has brought me much joy. Surrounded by what seems like many times chaos in the world, working in an environment with everyday pain and suffering, struggling financially, while attempting to raise respectful and responsible children, the peace of being surrounded by unmolested nature, the peace of the perfect catch of your forward stroke with no splash, that glide, soothes me.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 03/14/18 at 12:22:02

HoganHaake   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Saint. Louis, Missouri

Agreed, then there are the crazy lengths we go to to store our boats. I'm sure I've posted this before, but I have 2 hanging from the ceiling in my garage, plus the two racked on the side and one sitting on the floor. Okay, and the two at another property.

I'm pretty sure the Internet was invented so we could show our wives that there are people out there with more boats.

http://snorkie.com/re-hanging-my-canoe-first-draft-932012-and-9232012/

Hogan

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 03/14/18 at 13:34:09

MurKee Water   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

Ha Ha yes Hogan I can relate with this as well.....

My wife tells me it has to be an "outdoor" boat Sad

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 03/14/18 at 18:23:14

Arizona C-1er   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Arizona

Eight different C-1's here.  Last one I bought a year ago I left here at 7:00 AM to pick it up in San Diego.  Got back to Phoenix about midnight.  Felt lucky it only took one long day to get it here.

Contemplating another purchase even now.  No known cure for this particular affliction.

Boats.......Mmm, Mmm, Good.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 03/14/18 at 22:37:58

Wandering Josh   Offline
Future Participant

The key to overcoming your addiction is to give away a few of your boats. Fortunately I'm here to help you out. Just let me know where and when I should pick them up.

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 03/14/18 at 22:58:28

MurKee Water   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

I can just hear the conversation, " honey I'm home with my eighth solo canoe, I'm psyched, it was only a 17 hour drive." And Josh your a stand up guy willing to help, problem is it's catchy.

IP Logged

Reply #15 - 03/15/18 at 06:17:39

Steve W   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran

MurKee Water wrote on 03/14/18 at 22:58:28:
I can just hear the conversation, " honey I'm home with my eighth solo canoe, I'm psyched, it was only a 17 hour drive." And Josh your a stand up guy willing to help, problem is it's catchy.

My wife's reply..."17 hours? At least it's not as far as the last one. When are you going to sell that rowboat?"

Less interested in the idea of getting rid of boats but always curious about other boats. Maybe a boat swap thread? Hey, anyone interested in swapping their Riverhawk for my rowboat, please PM Cheesy!

IP Logged

Reply #16 - 03/15/18 at 06:59:07

briankay   Offline
Future Participant

I'm kind of feeling like a lightweight here since I only have five boats.  Plus almost all of them fit in my garage.  Of course, practically nothing else does...starting to feel better now.

IP Logged

Reply #17 - 03/15/18 at 10:45:23

KY Paddler   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Madisonville, KY

Yeah, I feel kind of lightweight myself.  Just two kayaks.  Drove 100 miles round trip for the first and 900 for the second.  I’ll try to up my game.

IP Logged

Reply #18 - 03/15/18 at 16:28:57

MurKee Water   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

BrianKay and KY Paddler, remember it is a marathon, not a sprint, and its good to have goals. Also, is it a sign to have like pictures of your boats as phone wallpaper and desktop backgrounds?

IP Logged

Reply #19 - 03/18/18 at 10:08:49

briankay   Offline
Future Participant

Desktop background at work.  It's really a picture of my kids-that's what I tell my wife.  Somebody mentioned denial here recently but there is NO WAY I'm in denial.  It's a picture of my kids, it's a picture of my kids, it's a picture of my.....boat?!?  Uh oh.

20170529_092656.jpg (3704 KB | 106 )
20170529_092656.jpg
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print