Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop St. James WineryPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spray / Wind Skirt (Read 673 times)
02/05/18 at 07:09:17

Steve W   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran

Have seen a few homemade skirted canoes. Not wanting to go to the expense of buying a custom cover so looking for suggestions as to the what's and how to's of making a homemade spray skirt. Primary use will be to assist a solo canoe through windy conditions, less concerned with wet weather and waves although those are nice secondary benefits.

Is there a way that some are making them out of window wrap material, then shrink wrapping edges with a hair dryer? Use of plastic or tarps? Please chime in if you have knowledge / experience. Would like to try doing this during the winter in order to be prepared for spring training. Thanks in advance for responses!
« Last Edit: 02/05/18 at 10:32:51 by Steve W »  
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 02/05/18 at 08:38:23

GoneOutdoors2   Offline
MR340 Veteran
St. Peters, MO

There are a couple cool videos on utube using rip stop nylon,  make sure it's the coated kind.  I made one for my canoe,  night and day difference in the wind...

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 02/05/18 at 10:36:38

Steve W   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran

Thanks, GO2. Yeah, that's why I'm wanting to figure this out. Are you able to post or send pics of yours? Will look for the youtube video's after work & appreciate the tip...

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 02/05/18 at 11:56:25

HoganHaake   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Saint. Louis, Missouri

Steve,

They are not hard to make, but it depends on your boat. If you browse to http://snorkie.com/2016-mr340/ and scroll to the bottom and then go up, you'll see a few photos of my boat with the spray skirt on. This is made with a few pieces of neoprene. JoJo was the mastermind behind it. She used Neoprene and glued it together with rubber cement and some minor sewing. Then we used pool clips glued in on the sides to clip it to the edge of the boat. We stretched it over the boat, then cut a plus shape where each of us would sit and slowly enlarged it to fit. It isn't perfect or fancy like you would expect to purchase, but it kept us dry during rain storms. As a bonus, we left it on for the whole MR340 in the middle to help the wind go over the boat. I used it to protect my legs from the sun. We ran some PVC pipes to give it the hump in the middle forcing the water out the sides.

Hope that helps!

Hogan

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 02/05/18 at 13:11:19

MurKee Water   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

Here's the cat's meow. Tarp and gorilla tape.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 02/05/18 at 13:33:41

Steve W   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran

MurKee Water wrote on 02/05/18 at 13:11:19:
Here's the cat's meow. Tarp and gorilla tape.

Like this one but since it's on water shouldn't you use duck tape? Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 02/05/18 at 17:06:55

MurKee Water   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

touche!!
Oh and BTW for you noobs that try to keep mud off things, forget about it...

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 02/06/18 at 04:59:18

GoneOutdoors2   Offline
MR340 Veteran
St. Peters, MO

I wish that I had taken pictures while I made the cover... but I did sew the hook side of the Velcro to the cover and loop side went on the boat.  Here is a picture.

IMG_20170729_181006.jpg (1336 KB | 81 )
IMG_20170729_181006.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #8 - 02/06/18 at 05:32:15

Steve W   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran

GoneOutdoors2 wrote on 02/06/18 at 04:59:18:
I wish that I had taken pictures while I made the cover... but I did sew the hook side of the Velcro to the cover and loop side went on the boat. Here is a picture.

Looks nice! So the canoe has Velcro strip points glued on the outside top that the cover attach to? Sounds like the Velcro was actually sewn onto the skirt, not sure if I'll be able to do that but bot ruling it out. What are your thoughts about using neoprene like HJ, which seems pretty nifty to be able to stretch but not sure about working with...

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 02/06/18 at 21:30:31

GoneOutdoors2   Offline
MR340 Veteran
St. Peters, MO

I had self stick loops on the canoe and then sew on hooks for the cover, super light.  Not sure on the neoprene,  I was looking for light weight.  The Velcro was also easy on / off.  It's the same material for a tent rainfly.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print