Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop Llama RacksPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need ZRE paddle sizing advice (Read 727 times)
01/11/18 at 22:08:06

Lekstam   Offline
MR340 Veteran

Currently looking at ordering the 7oz Power Surge Flatwater canoe paddle from ZRE. Basically just wondering the proper shaft length for me as I’ve never purchased a single blade before. I’m 6 feet tall and will primarily be using it in a 18’ long 21.5” wide kayak. I comfortably paddle a 240cm double blade. Any other info you could share about blade width and shaft angle would be much appreciated too! Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 01/12/18 at 03:15:55

Ozark paddler   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Independence Missouri

Check with Rocky Caldwell / C1 Paddler, he's a member here and an excellent source for ZRE paddles.

John R

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 01/13/18 at 18:17:35

Lekstam   Offline
MR340 Veteran

Thanks! He got ahold of me yesterday.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 01/14/18 at 10:39:45

yankeeclipper   Offline
MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
2X Ground Crew Veteran
Katy 50 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

For those who want a shorter single blade to use in your surfski/kayak I usually size people by the length of their blade used in a canoe. So measure from a chair seat to bridge of nose and add 18" -thats the approx length to use in a canoe. Most canoe seats are 5-6 above the base of the canoe so in a kayak you are 4-5 " lower so deduct that from the length of your canoe paddle. This gets you in the approx length needed. Remember some kayaks are wider than others so adjust accordingly also the shorter the shaft the less balanced the paddle will be. A paddle should be blade light so with a wood blade 43-44 o/a length is fine, a carbon blade enables you to go shorter but then you have a blade width issue. I think that width of 7.75-8.5 is the spread for blades.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 01/14/18 at 22:26:01

GoneOutdoors2   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
St. Peters, MO

Does ZRE have blades that short?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print