Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop Llama RacksPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What time are shooting for during the 340? (Read 1935 times)
01/10/18 at 07:55:11

paladin8640   Offline
Future Participant

I am curious what time are both the Veterans and the First Timers shooting for during the 340? I'm hoping to land somewhere between 60 and 70 hours.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 01/10/18 at 19:31:29

Notorious D.A.D.   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Wichita KS/Scottsdale AZ

No responses yet?  Honestly, I think that people are probably a little hesitant to say because if they throw out a number they could jinx themselves, or if it's a really low number then maybe they could come across as braggy or naive or maybe it could feel like a personal failure if they come up short.

My first year I said publicly that I'd be happy if I finished at all.  I told my friends and family I'd love to finish around 70 hours, but in my heart I was secretly hoping to be in the 50's.  That was completely unrealistic for my experience, physical condition, equipment & the fact that I was 100% unsupported.  I finished in 68 hours and was so physically wiped out by that point that I was darn happy to have finished at all.

My second year I thought that the mid 50's 's was a realistic goal since I had a faster boat, was supported along the way and had more of an idea of what the heck I was doing.  Once again I didn't mention that number ahead of time to too many people.  I was the last boat to come in under 60 hours and it was about 4 hours slower than I thought I could do but it was awesome.

This year I'll just throw it out there with some caveats; 

If I end up using my 18x like last year I'd like to see the low to mid 50's. 

But, if I have a good experience with my skinny outrigger frankenboat in the earlier races and get brave enough to use it on the 340, and if I don't have physical problems along the way, and if the weather cooperates, and if I can force myself to go with practically no sleep, I'm hoping to be in the high 40's.  May God have mercy on me  Shocked

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 01/10/18 at 20:12:05

ChrisD   Offline
Future Participant
Bangor, ME

I'm a first timer, and I've avoided giving myself any kind of a goal (other than to finish) for the reasons N.D.A.D. states. But I will admit to the soft goal of sleeping in a bed Thursday night. I figure if the trees are talking to me on night 2, night 3 could be pretty long.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 01/10/18 at 22:18:19

Rusty Coons   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran

This is my 6th race but the first time as a solo. I've had a couple great partners so I'm hesitant to say what my goal will be, but I'm gonna throw it out there. Looking for sub 50 also with zero sleep. This is of course with all the luck in the world pertaining to temps, storms, and fog. I really feel like with the experience of the ground crew I have I can spend less than an hour shore time all other factors withstanding. Last year my wife and I had a series of goals. They were in an order and we ticked them off as we overcame them.
#1 goal was FINISH
#2 was beat previous time of 55:32
#3was podium
#4 was sub 50
We fell short of number 4 partly because we slept 2 hours and partly because we caught up with the debris field in the middle of the night and kept slamming into logs and once and entire telephone pole.
Right now my goals are tentative
#1 is always finish
#2 beat previous time of 53:34
#3 finish in top 10% of men's solo
#4 beat Team River sisters three.... my wife is on that team shhh don't tell her it's a goal!
Rusty Coons
Boat 3737

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 01/10/18 at 22:45:42

Jaybee   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Knoxville, TN

I've always gone solo.  This so feels like I'm gonna jinx things but I've made no secrets about my MR340 goals so here it goes .......

My first year I really, really wanted to get from the Kaw into the Missouri without dumping.  Beyond that I felt that I had a realistic chance at a sub-60 time.  But I set up all my timing points to my ultimate goal of a sub-50.  Made it into St. Charles in 48:40 thanks to fast water and an awesome paddle partner.

My second year wasn't so much based on time but on position.  I was really shooting for a top ten finish.  Stupid food management on my part took me out and I DNF'd at Katfish Katy's Wednesday morning.  At the time I was in 8th place male solo.

Took a year off and am back this year going for that top ten finish.  Would also like another sub-50 and to beat my first years time.  My float plan has me at 47:35 but there are way too many things out there to predict that as THE number.  More of a target.

And still hoping I don't dump while crossing into the Missouri at the start.

And I will add that I am really looking forward to walking around Kaw Point Monday afternoon and just taking in all the boats.  And meeting up with all the paddlers that I haven't seen in a year or two.  And drifting around waiting for the start. And seeing if there really is a Tree/bush/house/dock thing on the left bank below Washington that really does look like a Tweety-Bird.  It's all good.

Jim
Boat # 3489
IP Logged

Reply #5 - 01/11/18 at 11:09:19

Otter   Offline
Future Participant

I'm a first timer and have set a goal of 70 hours or less.
However consider the fact that I'm going into a race I've never run, on a river I've never seen in a boat I don't even own yet.  Huh

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 01/11/18 at 12:44:42

Patrick M   Offline
Future Participant

First time paddler.
Goal #1 is finish
Goal #2 is beat a friend's time from last year in the high 70s
Goal #3 is under 60 hours.

If my final time starts with a 5, I will be very happy.

Racing a S18S with a first time ground crew. Putting in hours on the kayak erg and as much on the water time as I can get during winter. Plan to do the SDKC and either the freedom race or a long training run on the Missouri.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 01/11/18 at 13:49:49

Idratherbike   Offline
MR340 Veteran

Finish
Beat time from last year
Beat my friend who is trying to beat my time from last year

I see you Patrick

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 01/11/18 at 15:10:19

GaryE   Offline
6X MR340 Veteran
Mount Carroll, IL

If the trained crap do there job, top 10% overall and men’s solo. Go Long or Go Home

One of The Legendary Carp Whisperers (seen on 340paddler)
IP Logged

Reply #9 - 01/11/18 at 16:54:37

paladin8640   Offline
Future Participant

I love it!

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 01/11/18 at 17:07:13

gaelicfire   Offline
6X MR340 Veteran
Nashotah, WI

Gary-  Trained carp are real.  340paddler even did a video about it.

My goal is to beat Gary, and that is harder then you might think.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 01/11/18 at 17:11:36

DeniseD   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
4X Ground Crew Veteran
St. Louis

I've been slower every year LOL . . . so I guess my goaL is just to finish. Would be happy with sub-70.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 01/11/18 at 17:31:17

MurKee Water   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

Ha I love how Patrick got called out!!

If I go solo in my Frakenrigger I'll beat about everybody.

If YuKee Water is back in action this year mixed aluminum tandem, then we will do even better than what my solo time would be!

I love talking trash.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 01/11/18 at 22:30:11

Lekstam   Offline
MR340 Veteran

Last year was my first year competing. My goals was 60 and I finished at 57:40 which I was very pleased with. The goal this year in the same boat is under 55. Last year I got some pretty bad tendinitis the last 50 Miles that slowed me down quite a bit. Investing in a light single blade to switch back and forth with my double blade to give some relief to sore spots.

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 01/11/18 at 23:26:48

paladin8640   Offline
Future Participant

Lekstam what boat do you paddle?

IP Logged

Reply #15 - 01/12/18 at 09:23:06

KY Paddler   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Madisonville, KY

Goals in Order
#1 FINISH
#2 Return the grace and support on the course I’ve been shown and help someone else finish
#3 Finish and not hurt myself
#4 Finish and be able to say “Can’t wait to do that again!”
#5 Beat previous time
#6 Beat previous time with anything that starts with 6

Addenda
I have to also echo Jaybee’s goal and “get from the Kaw into the Missouri without dumping.”  That's an anxious moment.  And does hoping for less hallucinations count as a goal?

IP Logged

Reply #16 - 01/12/18 at 10:45:25

GaryE   Offline
6X MR340 Veteran
Mount Carroll, IL

gaelicfire wrote on 01/11/18 at 17:07:13:
Gary-  Trained carp are real.  340paddler even did a video about it.

My goal is to beat Gary, and that is harder then you might think.

I’ll have to do a better job of distracting you at Kaw Point this year, maybe if you forget to take your paddle I can keep up.

One of The Legendary Carp Whisperers (seen on 340paddler)
IP Logged

Reply #17 - 01/12/18 at 17:29:30

Jaybee   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Knoxville, TN

KY Paddler wrote on 01/12/18 at 09:23:06:
  And does hoping for less hallucinations count as a goal?

Well, I'm in it for the hallucinations!  Wink  I don't do drugs, Don't drink, Don't smoke weed even in the legal states.  I figure that people pay lots of money and will totally ruin their lives to get the equivalent of some MR night #2 action!  I getting me some of that for free*

*Plus a $205 entry fee, $5,000 worth of boat and paddle, $1,500 in hotels, food and fuel for the week, a few hundred more in misc gear, clothing and mods ......  That's kinda free.

Jim
Boat # 3489
IP Logged

Reply #18 - 01/12/18 at 18:08:07

paladin8640   Offline
Future Participant

Jaybee, when you put it that way...

IP Logged

Reply #19 - 01/12/18 at 20:31:33

Dead Last Johnnie O   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
2X Gritty Fitty Veteran