Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop St. James WineryPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carrying gear (Read 323 times)
01/06/18 at 15:01:07

yankeeclipper   Offline
MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
2X Ground Crew Veteran
Katy 50 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

Those of you who paddle outrigger and skinny surf skis-How do you carry extra paddle and supplies?

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 01/06/18 at 18:15:42

gaelicfire   Offline
6X MR340 Veteran
Nashotah, WI

Carefully?  I have a five part break down wing blade I use as a spare paddle and carry only what I need for 2 checkpoints. using soft pencil cases velcroed to the inside of the cockpit.  Anything I do not need quickly goes in the hatch if there is one, in my lap or in a deck bag.  Also a PFD like a Mocke with large pockets helps.

340paddler

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 01/06/18 at 21:53:49

brad126   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Branson MO

Here is a photo of my double blade as spare

IMG_1488_001.JPG (495 KB | 65 )
IMG_1488_001.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 01/06/18 at 22:01:46

brad126   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Branson MO

And here is the single blade. I put down Velcro for attaching the foam blocks I cut out. The single blade uses the two blocks closest to the cockpit. The double blade uses the two farthest away. That way I can switch between checkpoints, from the cockpit.

Required safety gear that I don't need access to is in a small dry bag in a rear hatch. A three liter water bladder goes under my seat. I fuel with perpetuem so I get by with one 26 ounce bottle for 5 hours. Any other misc stuff (very little) is in a gallon ziploc in the floor. Thats all I carry.

Oh,  I almost forgot. A tube of Aquaphor Velcro'd to the inside of my hull where it is quick and easy to access.

IMG_1489_001.JPG (217 KB | 64 )
IMG_1489_001.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 01/07/18 at 08:10:34

GoneOutdoors2   Offline
MR340 Veteran
St. Peters, MO

Thanks,  for the tips,  this will be my second MR340, but first time in a ski.  What size or length is your single blade?

Thanks in advance!

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 01/07/18 at 14:47:40

brad126   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Branson MO

Mine  are all 48-49" long. Ideally, they would be a little shorter for a ski or probably even with my OC1, but I also paddle a C2 some and that length allows use in all of the boats I paddle.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 01/08/18 at 17:37:04

Atollman   Offline
Future Participant

Is the spare paddle a spare, or a planned alternative?

If you plan to use the alternative paddle (switching between double and single blading), your biggest consideration is ability to switch between them. You can greatly simplify secure storage of the one you aren't using by only switching at checkpoints. The foam block system to allow you to switch out paddles while floating down the river can work, but if you're going down that path, highly suggest you incorporate switching between those paddles into your training runs.

Having a back-up double is unnecessary; get a paddle leash for your primary. A paddle leash is always a good idea in a tippy boat when paddling in current. If you take a swim, all you have to do is not let go of the paddle, and you'll never be separated from the boat. The odds of breaking your double during the race are really really low.

I'd suggest determining what other gear you need, and which of it needs to occupy the prime real estate of arms reach behind your seat. Your switching practice needs to include having your other gear in its place, just in case it interferes with swapping paddles.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print