Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop Llama RacksPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Speed (Read 1226 times)
01/06/18 at 07:52:09

Toolman   Offline
Future Participant

What is the app to track your speed in the race?

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 01/06/18 at 07:56:02

MurKee Water   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

MR340 PROPADDLER

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 01/06/18 at 08:13:05

Toolman   Offline
Future Participant

Thanks but I can’t seem to locate that in the App Store?

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 01/06/18 at 08:29:56

Notorious D.A.D.   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Wichita KS/Scottsdale AZ

Propaddler only works for android phones.  If you have an android with cell service it will auto text you in and out of the checkpoints, but even if you just have an old phone without cell service you can download the app via wifi and all the other features will work.

If you have a iPhone you can use a bunch of other apps like Map my Ride to just keep track of speed, if that's all you need.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 01/06/18 at 09:48:03

Idratherbike   Offline
MR340 Veteran

Lots of paddlers use GPS. I used a 10 year old garmin rhino 110. You can pick these up for ~100$. They use 3 AA battery's that you can easily replace. It shows current speed, avg moving speed, stopped time, moving time, direction etc. if you do decide to use a hand held GPS I would suggest one that has replaceable battery's over a rechargeable battery.

Propaddler shows channel location which the rhino 110 does not.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 01/12/18 at 19:53:30

I Hear Banjos Dan   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran

Last year, we just figured the distance between checkpoints or places we were going to resupply and divided it by the time it took us to get there, giving us our average speed, which I think is probably more useful than your current speed at that moment. I would save the money and battery on your phone and just crunch some numbers in your head. Just my $0.02

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 01/12/18 at 21:46:34

Jaybee   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Knoxville, TN

Figuring your average speed after the fact is great to know what you have done and it will be a good indicator as to what you can expect on the next leg.  But having a good way to see your current speed is a big plus for finding your way to St. Charles in the fastest way possible.  An accurate on-board speedometer can quickly show you which side of the river is faster and give you a few extra tenths of a mph with no extra effort on your part.  As the speed of the current will vary over the course of 340 miles and other factors like wind can affect your speed over the bottom, having a way to show your current speed will help in predicting the time needed to reach your next checkpoint.  If two boats are traveling together and start to 'lose the current' they can split up and quickly search for the fastest water.  All little things but over the course of the race can make for a significant time difference.

I use a thing called a Makai - A simple GPS that shows current speed as well as time & distance traveled.  It also has large digits so my old and tired eyes can read it - even if there are drops of water on top of it.  Any GPS has a speed feature and there are a host of phone apps to work as GPS speedometers for all types of phones. The only downside with phone based speedometers is the drain on batteries.

But overall, having a way to tell your speed while you paddle is a big advantage.

Jim
Boat # 3489
IP Logged

Reply #7 - 01/18/18 at 21:38:06

Ben   Offline
6X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Team Boucher & Son
Kansas City

I found a used Garmin GPS on Craigslist. Bought it for maybe $75? A cheaper and more durable option than having your phone out where it could possibly be damaged or lost. Also bought an old android phone for the sole purpose of using the pro paddler app at night.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print