Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop St. James WineryPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First Timers (Read 1562 times)
01/05/18 at 12:51:16

Toolman   Offline
Future Participant

Hey all,My Daughter and I are trying to decide if we can do this or not. We would be paddling a 17'Royalex.She is 35 in Excellent health. I am 59 and in Moderate health. We have canoed our entire lives on creeks, etc. My thinking is with a lot of research, and training, we should be able to at least finish. Any comments?

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 01/05/18 at 13:16:23

oakcabinpaddler   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Columbia, MO

I think you can do it, but there's only one way to find out. Go for it!

If you aren’t in over your head, how do you know how tall you are? –T.S. Eliot
2016 YRQ Finisher
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 01/05/18 at 13:21:41

MurKee Water   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

Your more than qualified. Read the forum, figure a plan that limits bank time and STAY IN THE BOAT. Your canoe will not be fast enough to allow for much sleep, but that's part of the fun. You won't regret it.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 01/09/18 at 18:40:08

Toolman   Offline
Future Participant

So, is this all open or can we wait til like April to register?

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 01/09/18 at 19:16:37

MurKee Water   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

That's a gamble, just watch the forum registration numbers and jump in quick when it gets close. Only about 60 slots left.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 01/09/18 at 21:11:29

Notorious D.A.D.   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Wichita KS/Scottsdale AZ

This race has been entered and finished by all kinds of people and boats. 

Also, I can say sincerely, you will never find a warmer or more welcoming group of people than the 340 paddling community.

You can totally do this.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 01/10/18 at 13:02:28

D. Turley   Offline
Race Volunteer
Shawnee, KS USA

At the end of the day your choosing to undertake this is the first step, finishing is in your heart. If you need help you just ask and this community can offer all kinds of help. This is a very multi faceted event full of competitive racers and bucket list makers.  If you come up short, ask... somebody will help you figure it out.  From transportation to ground support, just ask. I learned that last year.

D.Turley
Kaw River Paddler
KRV Sawfish (Osagian Kayak 12ft)
Greenland Paddle
IP Logged

Reply #7 - 01/13/18 at 11:42:23

Toolman   Offline
Future Participant

Thanks also I have a choice of my Coleman with a keel or an old towns without a keel. My thinking is that I would spend too much time correcting the boat with a keel less.Am I correct?

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 01/13/18 at 12:37:55

Rusty Coons   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran

In my opinion you will be correcting slightly more with the boat with out a keel.  If I was in your position I would contemplate  adding a rudder. It can be done fairly easily and it's really beneficial in the winds. 
Rusty Coons
Boat 3737

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 01/14/18 at 12:00:26

Toolman   Offline
Future Participant

Cannot seem to find how many boats allowed in the mixed tandem. Help?

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 01/14/18 at 12:22:59

Notorious D.A.D.   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Wichita KS/Scottsdale AZ

There isn't a number published for the separate tandem categories. 

Basically, the total number is dictated by the coast guard permit and the race organizers tend to overbook that a little bit because they know from 12 years of history approximately how many drop outs and DNS's they will have. 

For the last 3 years that I've been following the process, they have cut off the solos well before the tandems.  I just looked at the registration form and all the category options seem to still be available, so even though it's getting pretty top heavy with solo's that haven't shut off any of the categories yet. 

There's no refund of your registration fee if you sign up and then drop out, but if it were me, I'd seriously consider committing at this point because if you miss it, there's not really a waiting list or mechanism to take somebody else's slot if they drop out.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 01/14/18 at 12:25:01

Jaybee   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Knoxville, TN

There is no individual mixed tandem limit.  I would expect that mixed tandem would only close if the total race limit closes the whole race.

In the past, the only division that pushed enough to have an individual limit was the ever-popular male solo.

Jim
Boat # 3489
IP Logged

Reply #12 - 01/14/18 at 21:37:10

MurKee Water   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

A keel in a canoe has more to do with the way it is built, as in my Grumman Aluminum canoes, a seem the leangth of the hull and the keel to rivet it all together. What dictates tracking in a canoe is the design of the hull, more rocker means easier turning but less tracking straight line.i would venture that the old town have a superior hull design. A rudder would certainly help focus your power downhill rather than for corrective navigational strokes.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 01/15/18 at 08:37:29

Rusty Coons   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran

Dana,
Did i just witness you suggest a rudder?! This is nearly as surprising as the first time i saw Wally say it may be a better idea to do the 340 with a rudder!
I must agree though. There is no surprise that the only aluminum canoe to crack the top 10 last year was also the only aluminum with a rudder.  There were a couple power house motors connected to the paddles as well.
Rusty
Boat 3737

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 01/15/18 at 21:57:48

MurKee Water   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

Rusty,
Indeed it is true, you heard me suggest a rudder, for them, not for me, ha ha! However, if I race my outrigger it does have a rudder Smiley And those motors are back again this year, I for one am scared Shocked

IP Logged

Reply #15 - 01/16/18 at 12:47:44

Paddlehawks Nav   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran

Welcome to the party Toolman!  This can be a grueling event that tests your mind, body, and spirit, but it can also provide an experience you and your daughter will never forget.  My advice:  Find a really good ground crew, Set a goal to finish, and Be really, really stubborn.....oh, and that rudder suggestion that Dana threw out there shouldn't be taken lightly.  Our Grumman doesn't track well so we rely heavily on the rudder, but a rudder can also get you out of sticky situations that might be caused by lack of experience with this length of a race (you will get TIRED) or obstacles you haven't encountered (barge traffic, carp, heavy winds, difficult docking, etc).  Good luck to you and we look forward to seeing you at the start.....and finish lines if you decide to take on this epic adventure.

Jeff (the lower-horsepower motor)  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print