Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop Llama RacksPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Novice/1st time racer (Read 466 times)
01/04/18 at 21:54:31

Dustin Franklin   Offline
Future Participant

I just got into kayak this year, mostly for fishing and spending quality time with my daughter. I am definitely a novice and want to do the race just for the experience, not worried about the time.

Here's the question. I have a feel free lure 10 (sit-on) kayak. Am i out of my mind participating in this type of kayak?

Thanks

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 01/05/18 at 07:50:38

Notorious D.A.D.   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Wichita KS/Scottsdale AZ

It's been done in short boats before, but 10' is on the extreme end of the short boat spectrum. I won't say it's next door to impossible, but it definitely lives in the same neighborhood.

As a solo, you get an hour more than the team boats because you start an hour earlier but have the same cutoff times, so that helps. BUT, if you do the math, you need to average a minimum of 5.25 mph for 14 hours to make the second cutoff time (Waverly, 73 miles, cutoff 9:00 pm). If you're only making that minimum, you won't even be able to stop at the first checkpoint (Lexington, 50 miles, cutoff 5:00 p.m.)

After that, there's time built into the cutoffs for sleep, but you would need to stay in the boat and not sleep much to get ahead of the clock for the next day and the day after.

The river current will give you maybe 2.5-3.0 mph, so the bottom line is; can you paddle your boat on still water with no current at about 3 mph and keep doing that for hours and hours and hours?

If the answer is no, then you need a faster boat. But if you manage to pull it off it will be epic.

For what it's worth, I think the shortest boat that finished last year was around 12' and people are still talking about how awesome that was.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 01/05/18 at 09:29:23

19shady69   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran

It may be possible, but you will be miserable and regret not researching a better option. I believe that even those who were successful, would never use that short boat again. You can find a better used boat for a reasonable amount or rent a boat.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print