Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop St. James WineryPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2018 first timer (Read 455 times)
01/04/18 at 16:57:29

Otter   Offline
Future Participant

Hello all. I'm new to the forum and to the MR 340.  A friend told me about the 340 last year in July and it's been on the top of my list since that time. I live in Springfield Mo., have a canoe and 2 kayaks but nothing that will be useful in the 340 (two fishing kayaks and an Old Town Penobscot solo 15).
I registered yesterday and have started to assemble my ground crew. I would consider myself a novice paddler at this point and I'm in pretty good shape for a 53 year old. I have never raced before and have zero experience in a competitive racing kayak or canoe.  I will race the 340 as a solo.
My first objective other than a ground crew is to find a boat to use. My only similar experience was paddling 135 miles on the Buffalo River last year which took me 7 days. Not the same type of thing but it's the only experience I have to compare with paddling for long periods of time.
My first question would be boat related. I've read lots about boats for new guys and I know it'll come down to the most efficient boat I can paddle for 3 days straight. This time of year I'm not going to have the time to try out a bunch of boats in the next couple months. Would it be advisable to wait until Spring to start looking for a boat or can a guy who's used to paddling a 15 ft solo canoe reasonably expect to slide into a surfski and paddle it for 340 miles ?
Pardon my ignorance. I may ask some pretty obvious questions from time to time.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 01/04/18 at 17:09:57

Otter   Offline
Future Participant

I should have mentioned I have a max budget of about $1500 which varies from week to week (I have $$ sucking teens at home).  I'd also like to stay away from heavy plastic boats.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 01/04/18 at 19:36:27

Scott Mansker   Offline
Race Staff
12X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

Epic V7 or V8 but you'd have to budget for a decent paddle as well.  These are very friendly boats.  Many before you have rigged them out for the 340 so the path is well trod.  Might even find one rigged for sale here or on our facebook group. 

You could easily get comfortable with one pretty quickly. 

Some great higher end used kayaks out there as well.

Another option is a nice kevlar solo canoe that you could single blade the whole way.  You can find these ruddered as well.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 01/04/18 at 20:08:52

Otter   Offline
Future Participant

Thanks Scott. Can a surf ski be paddled with a single blade? Seems like you'd be too close to the water. I prefer a single blade and feel I'm better at it.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 01/04/18 at 21:33:40

brad126   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Branson MO

A V7 could be single bladed if the paddle was fairly short. I am in Branson and have a V7 and a pile of paddles (2 Epic full carbon mid wings, Epic full carbon small wing, Epic club carbon mid wing, RPC small mid, and a full carbon large, as well as a couple different ZRE single blades and a Crix Stix.) I also have a couple different sized Vaikobi life jackets.I could meet you at the lake if you wanted to try any of it. I paddle year round so we could do it at any time.

I should add that I am not trying to sell any of the stuff I listed, but it's available to try out to help you get an idea if it would work for you.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 01/05/18 at 08:26:39

Otter   Offline
Future Participant

Thanks Brad. PM sent
Sounds like you've gone from hobby to obsession!

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 01/05/18 at 09:22:06

19shady69   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran

I bought my  V7 just a couple months before the race. I was concerned because I was new to surf ski paddling. I was able to feel pretty comfortable in it after my first or second outing. Yes, you can single blade. I used a short single blade for the last 20 miles of the race due to discomfort from my wing paddle. I should have switched back and forth throughout the race.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 01/05/18 at 09:46:10

Otter   Offline
Future Participant

What did you paddle before the V7 ? and did you find the surfski a comfortable seating position for a 340 mile race ?
I'm concerned about back/core fatigue.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 01/05/18 at 11:11:42

brad126   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Branson MO

Otter wrote on 01/05/18 at 09:46:10:
What did you paddle before the V7 ? and did you find the surfski a comfortable seating position for a 340 mile race ?
I'm concerned about back/core fatigue. 

The carbon epics seem to have a steeper seat back area that provide more support than the V7's do. But honestly I think if you train  enough and do some additional core strengthening exercises it wouldn't matter either way. Several V7's finishing the the longer races. There's a reason they are so popular  around here.

It's probably not something you would be able to paddle right now, but I also have a V12 that you could sit in to get a feel of the seat buckets in the carbon Epics.  I used to have a V8 and it felt the same as the V12, as far as the seating position is concerned.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 01/06/18 at 09:51:19

19shady69   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran

I found the V7 pretty comfortable. I actually never used my seat pad. I took it along and thought i would use it when needed. I don't have back issues, but I saw others install a back back for support.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 01/06/18 at 09:55:34

19shady69   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran

Now that I think about it, I could have benefited from back band as well. I found myself almost "reclining" when I was tired. Caused me to use terrible form with my wing paddle, which resulted in severe forearm pain and I had to switch to single blade.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 01/06/18 at 14:57:13

Jaybee   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Knoxville, TN

I'm good for about two hours in my surfski (S18S or V7) without a backband and then it starts getting ugly.  With a backband I can go as long as I want.

Jim
Boat # 3489
IP Logged

Reply #12 - 01/08/18 at 06:07:11

GoneOutdoors2   Offline
MR340 Veteran
St. Peters, MO

Did you put a back band on your V7?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print