Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop St. James WineryPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Greetings, Salutations, and Introductions (Read 592 times)
01/02/18 at 19:52:19

paladin8640   Offline
Future Participant

I wanted to introduce my self and get feedback from the veterans and peers of the group on my equipment and plan of attack.

The boat I will be paddling is a 17 ft. Perception Essence, and the paddle I will using is a bent shaft wing. The biggest preperation I will be making for the 340 is loosing fifty lbs. Figured that makes more sense than buying a lighter boat. I will be supported by my wife and a good friend. My wife is there to tell me to suck it up and quit being a baby, (think man flu type stuff) my friend (who is a paramedic) is there to make sure that if I get broken he'll know whether I should call it. Sometimes I can be... single minded on a goal. The consequences be dammed.

I have many river, lake an ocean miles in a variety of kayaks, and years of paddling, but nothing to compared to the 340, and I am not half as smart or half as experienced as I think I am.

My goal with this race is to finish with grace and dignity. (by that I mean not embarrassing myself or my team to awful much) and to learn what this experience has to offer.

I look forward to any wisdom shared and am thankful for it. A person with experience beats a person with an opinion every time.

Ron

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 01/02/18 at 20:33:29

Dead Last Johnnie O   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
2X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Race Volunteer
3X Kawnivore Veteran
4X Kawlloween Veteran
See me on land? Tell me
GET BACK IN BOAT!!!
Belton,Mo

Welcome to the obsession Ron!

I just want to get one thing absolutely straight. You finish this race dead last and as the final bell rings ,you WILL NOT BE EMBARRASSING ANYONE!!! You will have successfully completed a very hard thing so put any thoughts of how you might be perceived (other than as a finisher) out of your head

you can finish in the boat you have. Not the fastest but a very capable boat. Losing the extra weight is great but do not lose muscle and/or stamina while doing it. There is a point where losing it too fast or too much can get detrimental.

Read the forum and Facebook page. Get out and do tuneup races to prepare. Talk to people who have done it. Almost every question you might ask has probably already been answered. Learn what works for you then stick with it and stay in the boat.

Good Luck and See You On The River.

DLJ

The faster you can go, the less time you'll be in pain-FlyinLow
 Don't stop--West Hansen 
 DEAD LAST > DID NOT FINISH > DID NOT START
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 01/02/18 at 22:23:58

HarpHype   Offline
Future Participant
Tampa, Florida

Hello, everyone! Newbie here as well. I'm glad to have found this great online Missouri river community. I'm hoping to learn more from the other members here. Cheers! Smiley
« Last Edit: 01/29/18 at 02:38:58 by HarpHype »  

Fishing Novice and Photographer at Petstreetmall.
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 01/03/18 at 10:17:35

Notorious D.A.D.   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Wichita KS/Scottsdale AZ

welcome, to the both of you Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 01/05/18 at 22:47:34

Rusty Coons   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran

Welcome to the obsession.
This was a bucket list item for me 6 years ago.  Now with 5 tandem races under my belt I'm doing my first solo run. It sounds like you've got a good set up for ground crew.  That's a huge part of the equation. 
Hope to see you on the water
Rusty Coons
Boat3737

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 01/09/18 at 03:37:59

HarpHype   Offline
Future Participant
Tampa, Florida

Thank you very much, everyone! Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Fishing Novice and Photographer at Petstreetmall.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print