Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop St. James WineryPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MN II for the TX Water Safari? (Read 401 times)
12/23/17 at 05:28:00

West Texas paddler   Offline
Future Participant

I have a Minnesota II and want to use it in the Texas Water Safari. Any TWS vets out there with advice on whether I need to add any strengthening modifications (such as an additional layer of Kevlar or carbon fiber on the bottom or bow) or will it handle the abuse as is? This will be my 1st TWS and any input would be much appreciated.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 12/31/17 at 12:12:34

BJones   Offline
MR340 Veteran

This boat will definitely get you to the finish comfortably. If it's a light weight Kevlar, I would recommend putting a carbon skin on the bottom b/c you'll be sliding over a lot of branches and rocks. Kevlar is better against punctures but not so great when it comes to abrasion.

That being said, if this is your first TWS and you already have a partner, why not race the novice class in an aluminum canoe where your competition is also only aluminum racers who have never completed the Safari before? You won't have to worry about breaking your boat so much, you'll definitely get your money's worth and you only get 1 shot to race in the Novice class and win.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print