Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop Llama RacksPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2018... so much to do. (Read 2656 times)
12/21/17 at 09:53:44

D. Turley   Offline
Race Volunteer
Shawnee, KS USA

It’s almost 2018; we all know the clock goes quick from here.  What are some of the things everyone is sorting out to improve their race from last year? New rudder, paddle, boat, losing 50 lbs?  This discussion might help those people building their first year plan and help them to think about things they might be overlooking.

D.Turley
Kaw River Paddler
KRV Sawfish (Osagian Kayak 12ft)
Greenland Paddle
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 12/21/17 at 11:54:26

Notorious D.A.D.   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Wichita KS/Scottsdale AZ

I'm not really doing much at this point, but I've fine tuned my gear over the last couple of years to a point that I'm pretty  happy with the setup that I now have, assuming that I stay with the same boat.

I won't decide what boat I'm using for the 340 until probably after the freedom race, at which time I might have to rethink some gear placement or whatever.

I might consider buying a single blade backup paddle if I happen to come across a nice one.  I don't really like the idea of single blading, but considering the elbow problems I had later in the race last year I can see how it would have been nice to be able to switch it up with a single blade.  If I don't find a nice used one between now and then it's not a deal breaker for me.

If I didn't already have a GPS or Spot, they would definitely be on my Christmas list.  This is the time of year when you can get deep discounts on stuff like that.

I'll start a light training program at the Y after the first of the year and get back into paddling when it starts to warm up here, somewhere around the end of March. 

I'll also try to avoid putting on any weight over Christmas, but will probably fail miserably, even though every cookie I shove into my cookie hole means another lap paddled in the spring to try to get down to an optimal paddling weight Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 01/02/18 at 23:44:36

spunkmeyer88   Offline
Future Participant
DM, IA

My biggest things are:

* working on form so I have a better time with back and shoulders this year
• get comfortable in my new solo boat - especially work on stability and better seat so my butt doesn't fall asleep.
• get my race app figured out before I get on the water.
• get a little camping practice so my land time will be more restful

I did okay for water, food, and pain management once I got the hang of it last year.  Having a great ground crew for the most of the race was super helpful.

I'd like to try out a few different paddle types like greenland, wing, and single if I get the chance.

2017 MR340 Veteran

~Fortune favors the buoyant~
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 01/03/18 at 13:07:50

KY Paddler   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Madisonville, KY

All four of your bullets are on my list, but your second one, get comfortable on new boat, cannot be over stressed.  Last year was a DNF at the Osage River for that very reason.

The third one about the app is also noteworthy.  I think I missed an update.

We have six months to work on these, so let's get to it.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 01/05/18 at 23:45:45

Rusty Coons   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran

These are all great things to get on top of.  I have both underprepped and overprepped for this race. I highly recommend overprepping!
Figuring out the app or your GPS way before the race will make a difference.  Small things add up, every time you stop paddling to mess with your electronic is time lost and it becomes more and more frustrating. 
Every year people ask what they can do to get better or faster and some master paddler with thousands of miles under their belt replies simply TECHNIQUE. Although I'm not in the same class as those paddlers technique can't be stressed enough.  Your technique will fall apart at some point due to fatigue but the better it is the longer it will be efficient. I will continue to work on mine.
These are simple things I would recommend to anyone.

Now for the things I'm planning to work on for me specifically. Nutrition, electrolyte management, hydration, and figuring out how to go 50 hrs with no sleep. 
SYOTR
Rusty
Boat3737

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 01/07/18 at 09:10:16

bobber   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
SEDALIA,MO

My improvements this year will include a better seat.If your back hurts, it will be a long race....The next thing will be food and nutrition management during the race.Not having a sour stomach and no fatigue will improve the race....My thoughts for 2018.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 01/13/18 at 13:08:37

Rusty Coons   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran

Bobber, what kind of boat are you paddling? I used to have some serious issues with seats until I found the Triebold seat that Savage River sells.  I'm convinced it has saved my racing career! If you're in a canoe style boat I can't recommend this seat enough.
Rusty Coons
Boat 3737

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 01/13/18 at 16:13:27

Dead Last Johnnie O   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
2X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Race Volunteer
3X Kawnivore Veteran
4X Kawlloween Veteran
See me on land? Tell me
GET BACK IN BOAT!!!
Belton,Mo

Rusty,  Make it easy on yourself. Finish in 45 hrs. Then you won't have to stay awake for 50.  Cheesy Grin Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin

DLJ

Fred- This is what I have to put up with all race.

The faster you can go, the less time you'll be in pain-FlyinLow
 Don't stop--West Hansen 
 DEAD LAST > DID NOT FINISH > DID NOT START
IP Logged

Reply #8 - 01/13/18 at 18:37:44

Rusty Coons   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran

Johnnie, sounds logical I think I'll try that Wink
Rusty Coons
Boat 3737

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 01/14/18 at 11:43:36

bobber   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
SEDALIA,MO

Hey Rusty,Paddling a Perception Essence. I like the seat,the backrest is uncomfortable after a few days....Recommendations ? Thanks

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 01/16/18 at 12:28:12

paladin8640   Offline
Future Participant

I too will be paddling a Perception Essence and I have issues with my back hurting and legs going to sleep. A large part of that is me {flexibility which is being address} Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. She's a wonderful boat.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 01/16/18 at 12:58:27

GloryDaze   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Overland Park

bobber wrote on 01/14/18 at 11:43:36:
Hey Rusty,Paddling a Perception Essence. I like the seat,the backrest is uncomfortable after a few days....Recommendations ? Thanks

I think most seats are uncomfortable after a few days, lol.

Here are a few things I did to help. I made a thin cushion to enhance the factory seat and give me a little more padding.

I worked out my core quite a bit prior to the race. That made a huge difference in being more comfortable. I added a 1/2 of a roll up sleeping pad (blue cheap one from Wal Mart) behind my seat, on top of the yak. Lightweight, functional and gave me that needed support when I wanted to lean back and rest.

Finally, I used body glide at every stop to prevent chafing on my arse.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 01/21/18 at 10:55:31

Fubar Dave   Offline
MR340 Veteran

Im chomping at the bit to get out on the water. Ive got a new partner this year to adjust to so thatgs mumber okne on my list, mow thati signed up that is.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 01/24/18 at 13:25:51

Kellygj   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran

I paddled a perception sole last year for which I replaced the seat back.  I went with something like this:
https://www.austinkayak.com/products/15688/Harmony-Recreational-Seat-Back-Pad.ht...

It came up higher, where the original hit me in a place that sent pain down my back and leg.  It was a very easy swap.

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 02/23/18 at 18:31:16

D. Turley   Offline
Race Volunteer
Shawnee, KS USA

Fubar Dave wrote on 01/21/18 at 10:55:31:
Im chomping at the bit to get out on the water. Ive got a new partner this year to adjust to so thatgs mumber okne on my list, mow thati signed up that is.

My kingdom for a day with temps above freezing, wind under 50mph, and where I am not at work. It seems the tall order this year.

D.Turley
Kaw River Paddler
Greenland Paddle
IP Logged

Reply #15 - 02/23/18 at 19:12:03

Jaybee   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Knoxville, TN

My kingdom for a day with temps above freezing, wind under 50mph, and where I am not at work. It seems the tall order this year.
[/quote]

This may incite some envy but this afternoon I finished the required paperwork that I needed to do around 4:45.  I was already working at the house so I loaded up and was on the water at 5:30.  Temperatures when I got back as it was getting dark were still in the high 70's.  Light wind.  A perfect evening out on the water.

Jim
Boat # 3489
IP Logged

Reply #16 - 02/23/18 at 19:19:43

Dead Last Johnnie O   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
2X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Race Volunteer
3X Kawnivore Veteran
4X Kawlloween Veteran
See me on land? Tell me
GET BACK IN BOAT!!!
Belton,Mo

What do you mean "may incite some envy"?  Absolutely it will!  Cry Cry Cry

The faster you can go, the less time you'll be in pain-FlyinLow
 Don't stop--West Hansen 
 DEAD LAST > DID NOT FINISH > DID NOT START
IP Logged

Reply #17 - 02/24/18 at 11:07:42

GaryE   Offline
6X MR340 Veteran
Mount Carroll, IL

I’ll second that envy!!! The Mississippi is still hard and white up here in northern Illinois.

One of The Legendary Carp Whisperers (seen on 340paddler)
IP Logged

Reply #18 - 02/26/18 at 13:28:18

D. Turley   Offline
Race Volunteer
Shawnee, KS USA

Im eyeballing this Sunday and Monday as possible windows for getting out and doing some paddling at Shawnee Mission Park. It's a new boat and new paddle; I want to take it out and lake paddle a bit before I roll it out on a river.

D.Turley
Kaw River Paddler
Greenland Paddle
IP Logged

Reply #19 - 02/26/18 at 13:48:18

MurKee Water   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

did you say "roll it out on the river" or "roll it on the river" ha ha

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1