Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop St. James WineryPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Not exactly a picture (Read 439 times)
12/13/17 at 20:38:15

Jaybee   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Knoxville, TN

But I thought this was pretty cool.

I live about 700 miles from Kaw Point so most of my Missouri River 'trial runs' have to be done on-line.  I use Google Earth and have paddled the MR340 course more times than I can count.  The images on Google Earth are updated about every 2-3 years but they are updated in sectional blocks at the same time. 

Currently on G-E, starting about 8-1/2 miles downstream of Washington, the image date is Monday, August 7th 2017.  The day before the start of last years race.  If you go further downstream to St. Charles and zoom in on the finish line you will see the mulch paths from river to the parking lot, all the straw bales in place and even the finish line banner.  I'd be willing to bet that some of the vehicles parked in the lot belong to paddlers who have dropped them off pre-race.

Maybe silly, but it makes my virtual trip just a little more real.

MR_Finish_line.jpg (513 KB | 124 )
MR_Finish_line.jpg

Jim
Boat # 3489
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 12/14/17 at 15:28:57

KY Paddler   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Madisonville, KY

Cool picture.

I went to see if my jeep was in the parking lot, but don't yet have Google Earth installed. Different picture of the Finish line in Goggle Map.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 01/09/18 at 03:40:17

HarpHype   Offline
Future Participant
Tampa, Florida

You never know what amazing view you'll find on Google Earth. Some may just simply surprise you.

Fishing Novice and Photographer at Petstreetmall.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print