Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop St. James WineryPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Build your own canoe or kayak erg (Read 166 times)
12/01/17 at 15:35:06

Manitou Paddler   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
2X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Record Holder

Become a paddling God by spring and crush all your competition...or at least hurt less getting in shape this spring  Smiley

Winter is here (or at least a rumor)

The solution?

....Find a used Nordic Track Ski exercise machine....(typically on craigslist or Goodwill for $10-40).  Purchase a 2 x 4 and some screws (about $40 in parts) and get out some basic tools (hand saw and cordless drill, etc)...and in an hour or two you will have filled your garage with wood dust and have a canoe (or kayak) erg ready to go.

These work very, very well...as good as any of the professional units...it basically uses the one way needle bearing and flywheel found in the heart of the nordic track....and careful use of pulleys and a section of bungee cord to emulate the paddle stroke correctly. 

I spent lots of time perfecting the design of each unit.  The key is the right use and placement of pulleys and proper rope path and bungee designed to not have the shaft spring back on the return stroke in an artificial way and yet give a real water like grab and pull.

The kayak and canoe versions uses a totally different rope path...trust me, this is not just a "wing it" design, these ergs emulate the paddle stroke almost perfectly and IMHO as good as any $2000 erg. 

I have a full set of plans with step by step instructions (and pictures) in a pdf build manual I simply email you (see attached link for details on getting build manual).  For my approach, I have intentionally tried to re purpose as much of the Nordic track as possible (like the look and it seems the right thing to do)...However, you can study the principles and remount in rare rainforest hard wood frame and hand rubbed gecko spit finish if you want something furniture grade.....me, I dont roll that way  Roll Eyes Tongue

http://nordickayakerg.blogspot.com/

Bryan

better_kayak_001.jpg (154 KB | 54 )
better_kayak_001.jpg

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 12/06/17 at 10:35:20

Manitou Paddler   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
2X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Record Holder

canoe version....I am building another one of these for myself this winter.....it works great and one could use the same approach and build a standing platform and long shaft to create a SUP erg.  I did this a while back and it worked great.

canoe_001.jpg (51 KB | 32 )
canoe_001.jpg

river is as river does
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print