Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop St. James WineryPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Texas Winter 100k? (Read 176 times)
11/01/17 at 18:58:39

wcopaddler   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Colorado

Does anybody know much about the TWO? A couple of us from CO are thinking about it as a fun race to get us back on the water in the middle of the winter.

Problem is, so far I've been unable to find any info on a race for next year. Their website only has info on 2017, and I emailed the contact given on the page (texaswinter100@gmail.com) last week and haven't gotten any response. They have a facebook page, and I asked to join it so I could post there and ask but haven't heard back from them either.

It is a fairly small race, but it looks like fun, and the timing (if held when it has been in the past) would provide a welcome respite from our snow!

If this one doesn't work out, any suggestions for another winter time race within reasonable driving distance from Denver? Thanks.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 11/02/17 at 10:26:06

BJones   Offline
MR340 Veteran

Join "ATX Paddlers" on facebook and post there. The race is hosted in Austin and we will be able to give you all the details.

I actually have never done the race (I might this year) but I usually volunteer and help and have padded the stretches many times. Long story short, the weather is sometimes cold (icicles on boats) and sometimes it's really nice. The water will most likely be low but 1 year we did have a good rain right before. Paddling in low water sucks but it's kind of like running uphill. We trained on the Colorado this year for the MR340 and it was really low - when we finally got to Missouri river, it was like running downhill the entire time.

The race starts at I35 early in the morning. 1.5 miles down from that bridge, you hit the 1st dam (longhorn dam). There are volunteers to help you portage this dam b/c it's kind of trek.

From there, there is only 1 more obstacle worth noting (a dam 6.6 miles down from the last dam). People portage right on this one but I like to portage onto the dam from the left depending on the water level.

After that, there are various bridges and boat ramps that you can resupply from.

Traditionally, there has either been a short race on townlake in Austin that is unrelated to this race so if you want to get your moneys worth, you can do that (it's free and usually about a 10k). Some years, the Austin half marathon is the Sunday after the race as well and some racers have been known to do both.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print