Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop St. James WineryPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SUP Paddle Guidance Needed (Read 320 times)
08/18/17 at 10:01:57

Steve W   Online
MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran

Planning an SUP purchase and am new to paddle boarding. Will need to buy an SUP paddle and not sure what to look for other than to avoid junk. Any advice from experienced SUP'ers would be appreciated.
Does not need to be top of the line but maybe someone has a used paddle that would fill the bill... Thanks in advance for your input & suggestions.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 08/26/17 at 10:03:19

Conchistador   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Paddle yourself to a better
place
Conch Republic

you want to get a great fixed length paddle.  if you're going out on a sup, there isn't a lot of extra gear you need besides a paddle, inflatable waist belt pfd, leash and some sort of hydration.  go ahead and save the money to get a top notch paddle.  you'll never regret it.  personally, I use the quickblade trifecta 86" model.  it is a great shape for most racing and casual paddling.  might not be the best for surf but I don't surf.  have it cut to your length. is you are a casual/beginner paddler, start at about 10" taller than your height.  later on, you might want to get a shorter paddle but beware of going shorter too quick as your back will be taking more of the load.  currently, i'm down to 7.5" above my height.  also consider taking some lessons.  if you get a good teacher it will be money well spent.  last of all, don't go cheap.  you are purchasing a piece of equipment that will last years so it is worth getting something nice.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 08/26/17 at 17:29:01

Steve W   Online
MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran

Sounds like very sound advice. Was inspired by an SUP'er paddling the 40 mile Race for the Rivers today. Believe she broke 5 hours, a very respectable time! Need to start on something that's not too much of a race board, so reading reviews and suggestions. Any and all suggestions are appreciated regarding paddle & board but eventually would like to be able to do some distance on rivers. Not expecting to win races but hope to do better than last every time!
It's a long shot but wondering if anyone has any experience or opinion regarding a Hana Pau Endurance? Do not want an inflatable...

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 08/27/17 at 08:11:18

Conchistador   Offline
MR340 Veteran
place
Conch Republic

what are your body dimensions?  height and weight?  usually I'd recommend starting off with a wider race board.  don't be intimidated.  the learning curve is short in this sport and if you get something stable (a common beginner mistake) you'll just need to upgrade sooner.  I'd recommend something 14 ft. long and either 27 or 28 wide.  maybe 30 if you have bad balance or are very tall.  you want to feel stable but not too stable because stable = slow.  Pau hana is a bargain priced board which tends to be a bit on the delicate side.  if you can afford it, try something a little higher end.  it's all got to fit your budget

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 08/27/17 at 08:54:35

Steve W   Online
MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran

Am 5'8", 135lbs, not great balance, age 62, marathon running background....

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 08/27/17 at 09:31:18

Conchistador   Offline
MR340 Veteran
place
Conch Republic

the best thing to do is go to a sup race or a demo and try out a few of the others boards.  for your height, a 27 would probably work fine but maybe go wider if you feel unsteady especially if you plan on doing the mr340 on it.  there are much narrower boards but you will want to work up to them. 
other option would be to come down to my shop in the keys (road trip) and get out on a few  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print