Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop St. James WineryPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CANOEMARAN (Read 862 times)
08/03/17 at 10:10:17

DAYTRIPPER   Offline
Future Participant

Are "canoemarans" legal?  Would it be inefficient? 4 paddlers.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 08/03/17 at 10:41:10

Notorious D.A.D.   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Wichita KS/Scottsdale AZ

You mean a canoe with stabilizers or outriggers? 

Perfectly legal.  Here are the relevant rules:

"Missouri River 340 Rules

19. There are no restrictions on the design of the canoe/kayak.

20. The original craft must be paddled from start to finish. Repairs may be made to the craft during the race, but other alterations are not permitted.

21. Any part of the craft (rudders, outriggers, etc.) which will be below the water line during any portion of the race must be “on board” from start to finish...."

As far as efficiency, lots of tippy boats have outriggers that are always in the water, including the river hawks that have become so dominant in this race. 

Longer and skinnier outriggers are going to have less drag than short fat ones, but anything that you're pushing through the water is going to slow you down.  If it's only an anti-tipping precaution, outriggers on both sides that hover above the waterline and only hit if the boat heels over are another option.  That's how a Huki wing works.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 08/03/17 at 11:02:52

Jon Marble   Offline
7X MR340 Veteran

2 canoes tied together. We did 2013 in a catacanoe. Very stable, very fun, very slow. As long as you can keep ahead of the reaper day 1 and paddle through at least one night you are golden.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 08/03/17 at 16:15:43

Notorious D.A.D.   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Wichita KS/Scottsdale AZ

Jon Marble wrote on 08/03/17 at 11:02:52:
2 canoes tied together.

Well I'll be darned.  I would have never thought of doing something like that unless I was shipwrecked.  Sounds like a lot of fun!

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 08/03/17 at 21:27:56

alldey   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran

They're tough to steer but can hold a lot of trash with a proper deck.  It helps with trim if you lash two Queticos or Voyagers together because they have different freeboard.  If you're stuck, put the weight in the QT and leave some slop in the bolt holes so you can ride the barge waves.  Wink

IMG_0187.JPG (2602 KB | 86 )
IMG_0187.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #5 - 08/03/17 at 22:32:12

alldey   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran

Jon Marble wrote on 08/03/17 at 11:02:52:
2 canoes tied together. We did 2013 in a catacanoe. Very stable, very fun, very slow. As long as you can keep ahead of the reaper day 1 and paddle through at least one night you are golden.

I remember thinking 'those poor bastards'.  Wink

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 08/04/17 at 06:43:40

Steve W   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran

Have been told that two Kruger Sea Winds catmaraned together and completed start to finish. Guess that resolves the 'we're staying together' controversy! Could be times that one person is able to sleep. Maybe not the fastest but memorable & high on stability...

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 08/05/17 at 18:17:16

Rusty Coons   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran

There was a team in 2012 I think their name was team CATastrophy. They had a catamaran bass boat and mounted swiveling bass seats on each corner.  It was the most inefficient boat I think I've seen on the race.  They were miserable and barely stayed ahead of the cutoffs but they finished.  Those guys were some serious grinders
Rusty Coons
Calico Moon
Boat 3337

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 08/09/17 at 08:30:42

pbr   Offline
MR340 Veteran

We tried it in '13 with a couple aluminum canoes spaced a couple feet apart.   It wasn't the best but to be honest it may have had more to do with the canoes than how they were attached together.   Our biggest issue was we raised the seats up resting on the sides for comfort because we didn't have to worry about tipping over.   That year the wind was blowing pretty hard from the northeast and since we were setting up high like sails, there were times when we couldn't even keep up with the water, especially after Lexington where the river in general flows toward the northeast.   It is very deflating to have the river water flowing past you as you are going downstream!   We bailed out a Miami.   Lesson learned.

For the next year I made a pair long narrow lighter canoes from wood strips and kevlar to fasten side by side.   I made the seat height adjustable so we could hide from wind if necessary.  They don't have much stability alone so they have to be used as a pair.   I wasn't really going for stability, just long and narrow.   We could maintain about 4-1/2 mph with steady paddling but not pushing it, with either 2 or 4 people.   Two of us in the "canoemaran" could easily outrun a couple guys in a standard shaped plastic canoe one day over at Smithville lake.   

I feel like my current rig will be a good boat for the mr340 which leads to the next issue.   It takes 4 people so that you can trade off resting.  I made the seats removable so you can set down in the bottom of the canoe and sleep without falling in the river.   I am in my late 50's and I don't have three friends willing to make the trip Angry.   I have had a hard time filling out a "team" for the 340.   I've had a lot of people go on day or afternoon trips but not willing paddle the darn thing to St. Louis.   

There is my experience and 2 cents regarding a canoemaran.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 08/13/17 at 08:49:33

DAYTRIPPER   Offline
Future Participant

Thanks for the input!  We're thinking two Savage River Susquehannas lashed together about three feet apart.  No deck, sleeping pads in the bottoms of the canoes, never get out of the boats.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print