Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop St. James WineryPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shuttle Assist Needed, Freedom Race (Read 560 times)
06/26/17 at 08:15:25

Steve W   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran

My buddy and I are planning on paddling C-1's in the Freedom Race July 15. Doubt we're going to win any awards but do plan on beating cut-offs and finishing. Anyone that will be driving back after the race by the start area? If one of us can get there, that would solve the transportation issue.
Another option is if an extra crew member can drive our vehicle from start area to the finish in Jeff City, that would work. Air conditioner works well, which always seems to come in handy on July 15 Wink.
Thanks in advance for your consideration and paddle safe!
« Last Edit: 06/26/17 at 09:34:12 by Steve W »  
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 06/30/17 at 07:21:21

Steve W   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran

Still looking for a support team member to drive my car from Freedom Race start to the finish. Otherwise looking for a shuttle to get back to the start area to get the vehicle after the race.
If you're support on a team and able, please respond here or PM with contact info. Mucho appreciation Smiley!

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 07/03/17 at 14:49:50

MurKee Water   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

I don't have a solution for shuttle but am curious what you will be paddling? A long C1 race.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 07/03/17 at 15:21:06

Steve W   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran

Will be bringing two C-1's. My buddy Dan will be in a Wenonah Voyager. He's the stronger of the two of us. I'll be praying for high water and tailwinds in a Savage River Falcon.
Now you've got me scared Shocked!

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 07/03/17 at 16:10:44

MurKee Water   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

OMG a Friggin Falcon? How jealous am I. I've lusted over a Blackwater for a minute. That should be pretty dang fast. Rudder?

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 07/03/17 at 17:16:31

Steve W   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran

A boat is only as fast as it's paddler. Weak link here is the paddler. Regardless, plan on being at both the start and finish lines. Agreed, the Freedom Race is not an easy C-1'er, but that's why we're doing it. Am sure we won't be the only two.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 07/06/17 at 11:19:27

MurKee Water   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

Re: Shuttle Assist Needed, Freedom Race
I did it a couple of years ago. For me it has been the toughest race I've done to this point. I'm contemplating trying again, but I don't know. Maybe if Barry agrees to keep the chiropractic tent up until about 9:00pm. May go aluminum.
I've commented before on C1's (single blade, no rudder) in the longer local races, and have wondered how many participate, as have others, in previous posts. It seems like they are losing popularity to faster type boats? It seems like maybe 8-12 C1's do the 340 each year possibly? A couple in Race to the Dome? What about the Shootout? Rocky did the new Two Rivers Marathon in just over 2 hours, unbelievable. How about the Freedom Race any ideas?

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 07/06/17 at 12:13:36

RugbyDoc   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
St. Charles, MO

haha... I'll stay around as long as it takes to wait for you, Dana. It'll be good to see you out there, and I'll bet Joe still has room for one more entry!   Wink

Barry

You know you are a kayaker when you can't go over a bridge without looking for water under it.
IP Logged

Reply #8 - 07/11/17 at 10:31:16

Notorious D.A.D.   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Wichita KS/Scottsdale AZ

My buddy is driving my Jeep to the finish line and we will be driving pretty much right back by the start on the way home.  The jury is still out on whether I'll have a spare spot up top to take an extra boat back, but I'll definitely have space available for a couple of extra people.

Hit me up at the start or finish if you need a ride, or just look for the big white jeep with a black top and ultra cool driver.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 07/11/17 at 18:31:57

Steve W   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran

Cool! Thanks much Smiley.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 07/12/17 at 21:27:15

Jeff Behrns   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Shrewsbury, MO

MurKee Water wrote on 07/06/17 at 11:19:27:

I've commented before on C1's (single blade, no rudder) in the longer local races, and have wondered how many participate, as have others, in previous posts. It seems like they are losing popularity to faster type boats? It seems like maybe 8-12 C1's do the 340 each year possibly? A couple in Race to the Dome? What about the Shootout? Rocky did the new Two Rivers Marathon in just over 2 hours, unbelievable. How about the Freedom Race any ideas?

I spent my first 2 years of fitness paddling (15' and 16') in a Voyager; both single & double blading; no rudder. This year I'm in an OC-1 for the 340, but definitely plan to get back in the Voyager in the future; most likely only carrying the single blade. I don't see why doubling a C1 is perceived as faux pas. All those Texas style boats that people double are canoes too.

Sitting up and paddling down at the water has a nice natural feel. Sitting low on the water with your legs basically at the same level as your waist has always felt awkward to me. The downside of a C1 of course is you move slower and for a long race like the 340 once you cross the 40 hour mark the body really starts to fall apart even for the most physically & nutritionally prepared people. Anyways, count me as someone trying to work C1 interest into conversations where I can.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 07/13/17 at 08:18:59

MurKee Water   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

I concur with the awkward feeling of legs straight out in front as in a kayak. Even my Bell Magic feels a little unnatural to me, unlike the Grumman which is like pulling a lawn chair up to the picnic table which I really enjoy. My Bell can be paddled comfortably with a double blade, I just don't enjoy it as much as a single blade, but certainly nothing wrong with someone using a double blade with a canoe. In races of course, it depends on the classification of boats, and what they permit.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print