Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop St. James WineryPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Osage Howler (Read 1076 times)
04/27/17 at 07:22:07

Scott Mansker   Offline
Race Staff
12X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

Osage Howler
www.osagehowler.com
Dates: June 10-11
Length: 61 or 14 mile (choice)
All classes welcome to this overnight Osage River paddle race
« Last Edit: 04/28/17 at 14:08:31 by Scott Mansker »  
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 04/29/17 at 12:17:50

Paul   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
New Franklin/Rocheport

Can someone familiar with this stretch tell us a bit about the river?  What kind of current and minimum depth can we expect?  Any places so shallow that scraping bottom is likely?

Thanks,
Paul

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 05/02/17 at 01:01:13

LOWA   Offline
Future Participant

Paul I have passed along your questions to some of the paddlers I know are familiar with this stretch and will get back to ASAP

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 05/30/17 at 08:10:24

Steve W   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran

LOWA wrote on 05/02/17 at 01:01:13:
Paul I have passed along your questions to some of the paddlers I know are familiar with this stretch and will get back to ASAP

Not familiar with the Osage River and have similar questions, i.e., river depth, portages, rocks, etc. Also wondering whether Howler return transport in the AM includes boat. If someone can post this info, have to plan and race date is sneaking up quickly...Thanks in advance to anyone that can provide answers Smiley!

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 05/31/17 at 19:58:09

LOWA   Offline
Future Participant

I have asked some paddlers familiar with this area of the river and received the following response:

At the level we expect in June, there will be exceptional current.  I expect racers to be in the 7 to 8 mile per hour average. Current will be 2 to 3 mph with some areas 3.5 to 4 mph in shoal areas.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 06/04/17 at 06:23:45

Hoot   Offline
Future Participant

The return shuttle trip doesn't include the transport of boats. I found this in the information on the entry form where you can also book the shuttle.

The race organizer said there would be someone at the finish line to watch over any boats that were left there while shuttling back to retrieve vehicles.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 06/04/17 at 08:03:44

Notorious D.A.D.   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Wichita KS/Scottsdale AZ

Can someone who has run this river please comment on what's going on in this area?  It looks to be approximately 28 miles from the start, right around a place called St. Elizabeth. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.2753209,-92.2998627,590m/data=!3m1!1e3

Is the best way to run this to go between the two longer dikes?  Hang right and hope there are not too many sandbars?
Other option?

Maybe it's nothing, but at least on google maps it looks like it could make things a little exciting if you're trying to pick your way through there for the first time in the middle of the night.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 06/04/17 at 15:13:52

Hoot   Offline
Future Participant

Thanks for pointing that out have been studying three similar situations after the third checkpoint and didn't notice this one. It looks way more complicated than the other three. I might be arriving on Friday if someone is around that would shuttle  I'd run that section from checkpoint two at Tuscumbia to Osage Tavern just to find out.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 06/05/17 at 19:34:13

Paul   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
New Franklin/Rocheport

I haven't been on this section of river, but have some data to report from exploring the lower river today. The Osage is still very high. Bagnell dam is still regularly releasing about 50,000 cfs. I put in at Mari Osa ramp and paddled 2 miles up to the old dam. There was enough water coming over the dam that jet boats were going over it, most at slow speed. I found a spot on the left bank that I was able to paddle through and then come back over the dam, cause I couldn't resist Tongue

This is all below the Howler race, but if conditions remain similar, we can expect 2-3 mph current and paddle speeds of 7 to 8.

The images on Google earth and Maps are from very low water periods. I can't be certain, but I believe all those shoals will be under several feet of water.

Levels today at St Thomas were 12.9 ft and 34.2 kcfs.

I think this is going to be a great race. Remember, there are no channel markers on the Osage.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 06/05/17 at 19:39:06

Paul   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
New Franklin/Rocheport

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/mo/nwis/uv?site_no=06926000
This should give us a better idea of conditions on race day.  Today's level near the race start is about 17.5 ft and 43 kcfs.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 06/05/17 at 20:13:51

Notorious D.A.D.   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Wichita KS/Scottsdale AZ

Thanks!

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 06/06/17 at 07:20:13

Hoot   Offline
Future Participant

Thanks Paul hope the water levels are the same for Saturday appreciate your help.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print