Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop St. James WineryPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone Interested St. Charles to Miss. River Confluence Saturday, 4/8? (Read 384 times)
04/07/17 at 07:32:38

Steve W   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran

Will be paddling the Missouri River Saturday, around 12:30-1PM, from Blanchette Landing in St. Charles to near the confluence. River is high but quite manageable. Will be in solo canoes (2 of us right now) unless someone prefers to be in a tandem & can help with loading. Supposed to be beautiful weather, a little windy. Looking forward to it Smiley! PM or post here if you'd like to go along & above all, paddle safe!

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 04/07/17 at 16:11:30

CMullee   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
St. Louis, MO

I was thinking about going out tomorrow but was concerned about the water level. Have you been out on the MO at 26 ft? That gets us into minor flood stage.

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=lsx&gage=sclm7&prob_type=stage...

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 04/07/17 at 17:44:35

Steve W   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran

I have been out at several feet higher. Prefer the higher water, makes me smile Smiley! A rudder is helpful in avoiding the additional debris.
Would prefer to go farther but would mean added driving for my very understanding wife...

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 04/10/17 at 07:34:11

Steve W   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran

CMullee wrote on 04/07/17 at 16:11:30:
I was thinking about going out tomorrow but was concerned about the water level. Have you been out on the MO at 26 ft? That gets us into minor flood stage.
http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=lsx&gage=sclm7&prob_type=stage...

Update;  Got out on the river Saturday, a little later than planned. Yep, it was high. Getting in at Blanchette was easier than usual, as the water was most the way up the loading ramp. Had to move debris to clear a spot to put out.

Before launching, could see a barge coming east downriver. Decided to let it pass, which happened VERY quickly. Huge thing just flew by, faster than I'd ever seen. Word of warning, those things just fly downriver when the water is up and flowing fast. Don't know if it was the speed of the barge, weight, water level or what, but the waves and wake created was the largest I'd seen. Everyone on shore said the same thing. After putting out, made sure to watch over our shoulders as barges can fly up on a paddler in almost no time flat.

Lots of debris as anticipated. Even when expected, debris can  get caught in the increased boils and swirlies, moving it around and in the path of a paddler. Biggest challenge of the day was dancing with debris. I know some skilled paddlers who could do this without a rudder but I'm not one of them! Glad to be in our own kind of barge, a Kruger Cruiser tandem, with a very effective rudder. Hip flexors were sore yesterday from the hyper-vigilant steering required under the conditions. Can clearly understand why a less stable or fragile boat would not want to be dealing with these conditions Shocked. Even though we were in a large, stable and very tough boat, did not forget that the Titanic was considered unsinkable.

Last lesson is even with fast water, speed can be negated by strong headwinds. Funny how one stretch can be a side or even tailwind and you're really moving. With one bend of the river, feels like you go from racing along to dropping anchor. A strong headwind also changes water and debris conditions, becoming much choppier and blowing debris around/in your path.

Hope the shared info & lessons learned is helpful to newcomers. Higher water levels can be fun but are not for everyone. As always, be careful, don't exceed your abilities, and paddle safe! SWW

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 04/10/17 at 12:09:22

CMullee   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
St. Louis, MO

Thanks for the sharing an update - I think we had similar experiences. I ended up giving it a go from Washington to Blanchette and it was a blast. The river had us flying with minimal effort.

The crazy thing for me was seeing how large the boils were and swells around the wing dikes. It lead to some interesting water out there.

All my training runs on the MO have ended at Blanchette and I'd love a chance to see the rest of the MO. If you're looking for someone else to come along, shoot me an email crmullee at gmail.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print