Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop St. James WineryPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Canoecopia anyone? (Read 1032 times)
02/06/17 at 22:22:14

wcopaddler   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Colorado

Has anyone attended Canoecopia in Madison, WI, or is anyone planning to attend this year?  I've got some frequent flyer miles to burn, and just looking at their website it looks like it could be an interesting weekend.  It looks like quite a few vendors will be there, as well as some interesting seminars, but I'd like some feedback from folks who've been before I book tickets.  Thanks.
http://www.canoecopia.com/canoecopia/page.asp?pgid=1001

Paul

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 02/07/17 at 11:09:56

Steve W   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran

Paul, have not been to Canoecopia but want to attend. Will not be able to commit until closer to the event but have heard many positive things....Hope to see you there!

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 02/07/17 at 13:20:53

oakcabinpaddler   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Columbia, MO

I have attended Canoecopia several times, and I highly recommend going. Great sessions and excellent trade floor. It is just like a real conference, but better, because it is paddling world. Drive there and take two credit cards, because you will be hauling home lots of goodies, and maybe a boat or two.

If you aren’t in over your head, how do you know how tall you are? –T.S. Eliot
2016 YRQ Finisher
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 02/07/17 at 16:48:58

DanKC   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kansas City

I was considering driving up this year.  I heard from others that it was a great event, but have not actually been there myself.

I will not decide until closer to the event.  I'm scared of what I am capable of...having my truck parked outside...with the kayak rack on it and at the ready.  I might be better off staying at home.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 02/07/17 at 18:34:34

gaelicfire   Offline
6X MR340 Veteran
Nashotah, WI

I will be there as always, I live about an hour away so if anyone wants to meet up let me know.

340 Paddler

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 03/09/17 at 21:59:51

wcopaddler   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Colorado

Heading out to Madison tomorrow.  I'll be there all weekend, and won't know a soul, but would love to drink a beer and talk 340 if anyone would like! This will be my first year of the race.   Message me here or at tickner_paul(at)yahoo.com if that sounds good!

Thanks.

Paul

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 03/11/17 at 18:05:27

Steve W   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran

wcopaddler wrote on 03/09/17 at 21:59:51:
Heading out to Madison tomorrow.  I'll be there all weekend, and won't know a soul, but would love to drink a beer and talk 340 if anyone would like! This will be my first year of the race.   Message me here or at tickner_paul(at)yahoo.com if that sounds good!

Thanks.

Paul

Paul, how is Canoecopia? Could not make it this year but appreciate from someone who is experiencing it. Special deals?

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 03/13/17 at 21:19:56

wcopaddler   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Colorado

I enjoyed it.  I'd never been before, so I don't have much to compare it with.  A lot of boats went out the door, but I didn't see any real smoking deals, although a fair number of rec kayaks seemed to have pretty good discounts.  A lot of PFDs and paddles were selling.  Most any accessory was at least 15% off, with quite a few significantly more.  It was fun to talk to a lot of the vendors, and really ask some good design/construction questions.  The guys at Wenonah and Savage River were both very easy and fun to talk with.  Stellar had a pretty big presence, and I was really impressed with the Zegul kayaks from Estonia.  The build quality seemed great, and their prices reasonable.  Werner had a nice new (I think) carbon touring canoe paddle called the Algonquin that I liked the looks of.

The part of the show that i wasn't expecting was the emphasis on fishing kayaks.  They were the bulk of most of the big vendors boats.  I talked to one of the reps from Jackson Kayaks, who I knew from my whitewater days, and he said that the fishing kayaks accounted for the vast bulk of their sales, even though they were originally a whitewater company.  Some of these kayaks were ridiculous with all the stuff they managed to fit on them, from lawnchairs and coolers to fish finders and racks for 6 rods.  The weights were certainly not something you can carry very far.  These suckers are heavy!

I went to a lot of good talks - certainly whet my appetite for some future canoe trips.  All in all, it was good.  I can see myself returning some day.

Paul

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print