Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop Llama RacksPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com paddlestop.comOlathe Ford Lincoln MercuryFarmer's InsuranceLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature CenterSome Beach Outfittersprojectathena.org healthyriverspartnership.comMidwest Paddle AdventuresPaddle KC
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wilderness systems Tsunami125 (Read 3988 times)
02/03/17 at 15:40:01

Robert Foley   Offline
Future Participant

I am considering trying to run this race in 2018.   I didn't get in to register in time this year.  I paddle a Wilderness Systems Tsunami 125 boat and am wondering if anyone has an opinion on doing this race in it.   It's a 12.5 ft boat, no rudder.    I know it's not ideal, certainly not as fast as the longer boats but is it doable?    Thanks in advance for any input.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 02/03/17 at 18:58:58

Missouri Shooter   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kansas City, Missouri

I did it in a slightly longer Tsunami and was really heavy at the time but had the right mindset to do it. I had a rudder as the wind in many areas really impedes your progress. I was just in front of the Reaper for much of the race however. Smaller kayaks with more athletic paddlers, some with no rudders passed me often so it can be done. Many will tell you it is no fun but it is the experience not the things in life and yes it was fun. I had the same concerns and trained allot on flat water that one successful time and used a gps to see what speed I could keep up so knew going in that I could make the boat work if I kept up my part. You can see what paddling speed you need by looking at the cutoff times. For the 1st three checkpoints this will matter until you have banked some time then you can substitute sleep for a slower speed and still come out ahead. I know the race is evolving to have more go fast boats which is great but for those of us that just want to complete it before the 88 hours paddling what we have still works. You just have to outrun the Reaper to have an experience you will never forget. Between now and the 2018 race you may sell your shorter one and upgrade. If you are around KC pm me and we can do some training.

Don--Missouri Shooter Boat#3159
Eddyline Shasta or Epic V8 for 2019 MR340
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 02/03/17 at 20:02:01

Jaybee   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
Knoxville, TN

There is a lot of time between now and the 2018 MR.  More than enough to do some of the shorter races in your current boat and more than enough time to find a different one if you decide that you want to go faster or have more control.

You can do the MR in a 10 rec boat but there will be little safety margin.  All depends on how you want to run your race.

Jim
Boat # 3489
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 02/04/17 at 21:36:14

Robert Foley   Offline
Future Participant

thanks guys.  Don, I'm in ohio but Iappreciate the offer to train with you.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 04/22/17 at 21:36:46

Scallywag   Offline
MR340 Veteran

For what it's worth I'll be doing it in a WS Pungo this year which is about the same size I believe.  This is also my first shot at the MR340 but I'll be sure to blog about it after the event if you want to read about how well, or poorly it went =)

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 04/23/17 at 08:37:19

Notorious D.A.D.   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Wichita KS/Scottsdale AZ

Theres an old thread on here where I was facing basically the same situation, except I had a Dagger 10.5' creek boat.

For me it came down to simple math.  In order to barely squeak in under the cutoffs for the first two checkpoints, a solo boat requires a minimum of 5 MPH for 14 hours solid with no time out of the boat at all, including cruising past Lexington without stopping.

I was able to paddle that short fat dagger at 2.5 mph, so if the river current was running 2.5 mph or faster, it was clearly doable, but just barely.

I ultimately decided that even if it was technically doable is my short boat, I was in this thing to have fun and for my first attempt, it didn't seem fun at all to be constantly right on the ragged edge and constantly in danger of getting dq'd if anything at all went wrong.

I ultimately bought a used 17' boat, was never in danger of missing a cutoff, and had a great time. 

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 04/23/17 at 11:14:13

DeniseD   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
4X Ground Crew Veteran
St. Louis

A lot would depend on the river levels and the wind. In a high water year people have certainly successfully completed the race in 10-12 ft boats. Low water and head winds could have you not making the cut-offs. I concur that your flat water speed (lake speed) in that boat should give you a idea. Train this year and use GPS or a smart phone app. Can you manage 3.0 mph or faster for hours on end?. I have a 13 footer that I can consistently make 3.5 mph in. Slow but doable. (It's not only length but the width of the boat that matters.) You may be able to pick up a faster used boat for $500-700 by checking this forum, Craigslist. I found my race boat here. Knowing how fast you are in your current boat can help you assess any potential new ones, as you can compare speeds.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 04/23/17 at 21:14:53

19shady69   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran

The way I justify purchasing a slightly better boat is that you can often sell the boat after the race for the same money. You are essentially renting a boat for free.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 04/24/17 at 06:49:23

Meanhorse   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran

You can do it but you will wish you had a faster boat. If at all possible get something a little faster.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print