Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop St. James WineryPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Homemade Seat (Read 1208 times)
12/11/16 at 08:40:06

DanKC   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kansas City

I  remember  sometime ago when someone posted the instructions to make a homemade kayak seat with some foam beads, a garbage bag, and some epoxy. I forgot the details and wondered if someone can post the instructions again.  I cannot seem to find any such thing on YouTube. But maybe I am not searching correctly.

The weather is cold, and I am getting stir crazy  to do something and kayak related, so I thought I might give  this a shot.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 12/11/16 at 10:26:35

Dead Last Johnnie O   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
2X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Race Volunteer
3X Kawnivore Veteran
4X Kawlloween Veteran
See me on land? Tell me
GET BACK IN BOAT!!!
Belton,Mo

Courtesy copy and paste from an Ozark Paddler post.

" Foam peanuts, gorilla glue & trash bag". This seat making method was explained to me buy Joe Mann but was probably invented by Macgyver because it is ingenious. OK here goes. Take a trash bag and add foam peanuts or better yet foam balls from a bean bag chair, a bottle of gorilla glue and enough water to activate the glue. Seal up the bag, mix well, then put the bag in your boat where your seat will be. Sit on the bag and wait for the gorrila glue to expand and form a solid mass that is form fitted to your butt and the bottom of your boat. After your new seat is cured remove the bag and sand the foam to a perfect fit, coat with water base latex paint then plastic coat tool coating and add your padding of choise. Makes a very comfortable seat that fits your bottom very well.

DLJ

Fred- Don't even think Dead Last could think this up.  Cheesy

The faster you can go, the less time you'll be in pain-FlyinLow
 Don't stop--West Hansen 
 DEAD LAST > DID NOT FINISH > DID NOT START
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 12/11/16 at 10:49:02

DanKC   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kansas City

That's what I was looking for.  Thanks, Johnnie!

I bet this will be a messy thing to do and that it'll take me 3 or 4 tries to get it right.  Oh well...

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 12/12/16 at 14:19:47

Ozark paddler   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Independence Missouri

Not hard and really not that messy. If you mess up just try again. Foam bean bag balls really do work alot better than foam peanuts.😀

John R

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 12/12/16 at 15:05:44

DanKC   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kansas City

Where can one buy a bulk load of bean bag balls cheap around Kansas City?

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 12/12/16 at 21:14:03

Jaybee   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Knoxville, TN

Jim
Boat # 3489
IP Logged

Reply #6 - 01/24/17 at 10:35:22

Ozark paddler   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Independence Missouri

Checked thrift shops for a bean bag chair then stab said bean bag, slice it open and you will find enough foam (beans) for about half a dozen seats.  Wink If you can't find any there go to Walmart, they'll charge you about 20 bucks  though, 5 at most thrift shops.

Syotr - John R

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print