Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop St. James WineryPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Favorite Read (Read 1835 times)
09/14/16 at 15:54:11

MurKee Water   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

Suggestions for reading related to paddling? I'm presently reading"Down the Nile" by Mahoney. She is rowing but I'll let that go. "Boys in a Boat" comes highly recommended. "Canoeing the Great Plains..." by Dobson I'm m taking a little break from as some of it bugs me. Other suggestions? Ooh, "Paddle to the Amazon" is incredible.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 09/14/16 at 17:09:19

Jaybee   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Knoxville, TN

The Boys in the Boat is a very good read, but it too is rowing, not paddling.

Fearless by Joe Glickman is the story of Freya Hoffmeisters trip around Australia. Excellent book.  But be forewarned - it will make us who merely paddle the 340 look a bit wimpish.

Canoe Racing: The Competitors by Peter Heed and Dick Mansfield is a good technical book on racing strategy.  I found myself passing over a few chapters that dealt in areas that i was not interested in - like whitewater racing.  But there is some good information in there about serious racers.

Jim
Boat # 3489
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 09/14/16 at 21:31:41

Dead Last Johnnie O   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
2X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Race Volunteer
3X Kawnivore Veteran
4X Kawlloween Veteran
the turtle's name is Fred
Belton,Mo

If it does not give too much away, what bugs you about "Canoeing the Great Plains?

The faster you can go, the less time you'll be in pain-FlyinLow
 Don't stop--West Hansen 
 DEAD LAST > DID NOT FINISH > DID NOT START
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 09/15/16 at 10:24:47

AndyC   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran

I agree - Boys in the Boat is a very good read, so far my favorite book this year.  While it is about rowing and not paddling there are a lot of parallels.  It is also about winning despite very extreme circumstances. Great story.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 09/15/16 at 11:18:05

MurKee Water   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

"canoeing the Great Plains..." is about two journeys, the walking from Kansas City to Montana and the canoeing the Missouri back to KC. The second journey it seems to me is the author finding himself or perhaps trying to redefine himself. He is working through many problems in his life and it is somewhat uncomfortable for me to go with him. I'll finish it but needed a break.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 09/15/16 at 12:21:16

JoshS   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
3X Gritty Veteran
2X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot
Forum Moderator
Kawnivore Veteran

"running the amazon" Joe Kane

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 09/15/16 at 12:46:39

HoganHaake   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Saint. Louis, Missouri

Paddle to the Amazon: The Ultimate 12,000-Mile Canoe Adventure by Don Starkell

I'll lend it to anybody that comes to the Sunset Race Smiley I have a few others as well...

Hogan

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 09/15/16 at 14:22:31

MurKee Water   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

I am going to request library to get copy of Starkell's book, it's just insane!!

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 09/15/16 at 22:25:37

wcopaddler   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Colorado

As fall is close and Colorado winter nights are long with lots of time to read, this is a great thread.  One of my favorites is "Death on the Barrens" by George James Grinnell, about a 1955 canoe trip in the Canadian Arctic.

I've already ordered "Paddle to the Amazon" from my local library!

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 10/10/16 at 11:59:25

MurKee Water   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

Death on the Barrens, excellent never heard of it. Will be looking into that and thanks!! The next best thing to paddling is reading about paddling. Or one the best things anyway. Wink

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 07/27/17 at 16:09:46

canot du nord   Offline
Future Participant

Voyages From Montreal, by Alexander Mackenzie, about the 1st expedition to cross North America north of Mexico in 1793 is interesting. Published 1801. A more recent printing is called The Journals of Alexander Mackenzie(The Narrative Press, 2001). Interesting story of two tries to reach the Pacific overland, with little accurate information available to the explorer for routefinding.
« Last Edit: 08/16/17 at 01:35:13 by canot du nord »  

Great National Canoe Race Veteran 1979
USCA Nationals Veteran 1983
3 X Platte River Race Vet 81-83
KSKU Anything That Floats Without A Motor Race Veteran 1983
"168 Club" Canoed all 168 miles of Kaw R.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print