Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop St. James WineryPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nutrition (Read 2372 times)
09/03/16 at 18:32:13

Bill E   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran

Well, you folks answered my last question about hydration and I am about to order a camelback flow meter.  And I appreciate your help, but now I have another question. 
My son and I did the 340 in 2010 in a tandem kayak and finished in 73 hours or thereabouts.  We ate often and managed to complete the run but I think we could have been a lot more scientific about it. 
I know that an old fat man like myself would need about 550 calories an hour to paddle and not subtract energy from his energy reserves.  I also know that if a guy in my condition paddles for ten hours straight without proper nutrition he will consume 5,569 calories and end up as limp as the proverbial 'dish rag'.  I know because I have done it (Coopers Landing to Washington in about 9.5 to 10 hours, and didn't have nearly enough groceries along.  I know that a Snickers bar contains 273 calories and a Whopper with cheese 790.  A big mac is 550 and a coke is 200.
It becomes obvious that if one replaces his consumed calories with traditional junk food the problem will be trying to swallow it all and also finding sanitary facilities every half mile along the river. 
So this leads me to my question, what really high energy, compact foods or substances are used, have been discovered, by the rest of you to supply this energy without having to consume fuel like an Abrams Tank?
As always, Smiley I appreciate your response and certainly hope I can help someone by passing it along some day.

One More Time.
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 09/03/16 at 21:45:23

brad126   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Branson MO

You don't need to consume what you expend. Your body has thousands of calories in fat stores that you will use. If you try to match consumption to what you burn you will wind up bloated and sick. I have performed much better since I started consuming less. I typically take  in 180-200 calories per hour. I am a 200 lb paddler who paddles hard the whole way. (Last year finish was 42 hours, this year I was on track for s 47 hour finish until a shoulder injury stopped me with 40 miles to go. I am not merely floating along)

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 09/04/16 at 10:17:49

oakcabinpaddler   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Columbia, MO

Bill E, to answer your question, here are some brands of endurance sports food supplements that can help you: Virtargo, Gu energy, Hammer Nutrition, First Endurance, Tail Wind, Scratch Labs and Spiz. Also, some people use Clif Bars, PowerBar, and similar. There are others.

I agree with Brad, do not shoot for replacing the actual calories you are burning, otherwise you will likely make yourself sick, especially when paddling an event as long as the MR340.

Instead, your goal should be to feed your body enough quality food that your body does not go into panic mode and start to steal muscle to produce energy to keep paddling after your glycogen store is burned off during your first couple hours. When your nutrition is managed well, your body will gladly burn fat, not muscle, to keep going when it recognizes a steady intake of quality carbs.

Bare in mind, Brad's optimal calorie consumption of 180-200 per hour is both quite common and also what is right for him. Your optimal calorie consumption may be different, based on your height, weight, age, your fitness level, the weather, and how hard you are paddling. Finding your optimal hourly calorie intake will take some experimentation, but it is highly likely that your number between 150 and 300 calories per hour.

Also note that all calories are not created equally. Consuming white sugar to fuel endurance paddling is like fueling a kerosene lantern with gasoline. All your energy will burn off quickly. Stay away from junk food. Junk food earned its name. When paddling from Cooper's to Washington, you should feel tired, but not "limp like a proverbial dish rag."

Last, finding what works for you is a process. You are already taking the most important step by seeking to optimize nutrition. Improving your nutrition makes endurance paddling more enjoyable. Enjoy your process and happy paddling!

If you aren’t in over your head, how do you know how tall you are? –T.S. Eliot
2016 YRQ Finisher
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 09/04/16 at 20:36:23

Bill E   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran

Thanks for the good advice.  I will check out these sources you have given me and experiment with them over the winter.  I am moving to Charlotte N.C. and expect to be able to paddle most of the winter and build my glycogen processing ability. Thanks again, Bill.

One More Time.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 09/05/16 at 09:44:44

Notorious D.A.D.   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Wichita KS/Scottsdale AZ

This years 340 was my first and I was self supported, so I didn't know exactly what would be optimal, but Mcdonalds and Pizza hut along the way was't an option.

I bought 2 cheeseburgers and 1 sno-cone along the way, but other than that, I ended up just munching on a steady diet of cliff bars, beef jerky, and some random energy goo.  I tried to stuff something in my face every hour or so, but I'm sure that I was averaging no more than 100-200 calories an hour.

Even so, I had way too much food on board and had tons left at the end.

I'm 5'10" 170 lbs and finished in 68 hours.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 09/06/16 at 12:26:09

HoganHaake   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Saint. Louis, Missouri

Bill,

As a counter point to all of the responses before me, you are on the right track. You don't have to eat like a professional athlete with perfect calories.

This year, my (mixed tandem) boat took 10th overall in the race. The only healthy food I had in the boat was fruit that my ground crew handed me at 4 of the checkpoints. Other than that, I had snack food all the way down the river. I believe its more important to put any fuel in your tank than no fuel. I had a watch set to beep every hour attached to my PFD. Every time it beeped, I ate whatever food I had available. Some of the foods I had available

Chex Mix mixed with Trail Mix. This was dispensed from a 32 oz Gatorade bottle with a lid.
6 pack of peanut butter snack crackers.
6 pack of mini Donuts (hence the team name "Donut and Maple Syrup")
Granola bar
Payday candy bar (Amazing cause they don't melt from heat)
Beef Jerky
Beef Sticks
Apples/Grapes (from ground crew)
Hamburgers (from ground crew)
Pizza (from ground crew)

And with this mix of food, I had a fantastic finish. So the key is to eat something often in order to keep your body going.

This has taking me from a 88 hour finish my first time to a 49:48 finish my 5th time...  I believe I'm getting close to the limits of what I'm able to achieve, so I'll likely experiment with some of the Hammer Nutrition liquid food for the next 340 to see if I can get some additional performance from myself. But my point is that its not nearly as much about what you eat (assuming your body can hold it down), but how often you eat!

Good luck with your training!

Hogan

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 09/06/16 at 21:42:14

Lildoc   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Lucedale, MS

I did not finish quite as well as hogan, but mirror his sentiments. You must take in a bit of fuel, often, but NEVER TOO MUCH. For me that meant Cheetos(my guilty pleasure)in an empty Gatorade bottle (credit to whoever first posted that container tip) pretzel sticks and granola (separate Gatorade bottles) hammer gels in assorted favors, so you don't hurl from boredom, jerky, apple sauce in the squeeze pouch,  single serving olives, plum organic mighty-four baby food (in the squeeze pouch) and gogurt (frozen, so when it thawed it was perfectly cool).
For me, the race was not about fine-tuning my nutrition...too late for that!! but having food I enjoy in accessible portions of about 100 cal/each. I supplemented this with PBJ on homemade toasted bread (what can I say, best ground crew EVER!) and sinful choices I'd rather not share, (chef boyardee)once I was ready to take a rest on land.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 09/06/16 at 22:20:01

Bill E   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran

I don't plan to get back into the race till 2018.  Next year I will run support for my daughter.  That gives me almost two years to get my nutrition settled.  I just don't like to wait till the last minute.  And I too will steal the idea of gator aid bottles.  Thanks guys.

One More Time.
IP Logged

Reply #8 - 09/12/16 at 21:48:16

WAIMANU   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran

Hi Bill,  ...have been riding bike during the past summer months in an effort to get back on the water  ...rides have been long enough that hydration and nutrition attention is necessary  ...some of my favourite things (sounds like a song!) are pancakes  ...made big/small enough to fit a 'small stack" into a sandwich zip lock bag and cut into quarters  ...fits into a cycling jersey pocket and easy to handle while riding  ...can make several flavours to your taste ...my fav is banana oat with almond milk  ...probably 300 - 325 calories each with some carbs, fat, fibre and protien  ...can be kept in the fridge for a day or two before using

...I figure that should one be silly enough to spill a bit of Guinness (sinful ! Huh) , a pancake can be used to mop up the spill like a sponge    ...in a boat everything must have multiple use

Bill / Waimanu

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 09/16/16 at 13:06:46

Bill E   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran

I can relate to your comment about multiple use.  I am presently packing for the move from Kirksville, Mo. to Charlotte N.C. and I found that the mega rolls of Charmin Tissue makes great packing and shock absorbers with an added use down the trail Roll Eyes.  I have been to Walmart twice to get more.  I probably have a years supply built up now but I know my pickling crock and a few other tender items are well protected.  Thought you might find that amusing.

One More Time.
IP Logged

Reply #10 - 09/18/16 at 17:55:00

Donna Miles   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Arkansas

I just solo finished this past race. I am an avid coffee drinker and can promise you I  know when its time for a black cup by  my headaches..This year I used carrots for alertness and it was amazing. My headaches were controlled with Excedrin at times cause its got caffeine. I also had pineapple cups constantly which gave me my sugars..I found healthy beef jerky and cut up into bite size for popping in mouth and dont forget toothpicks. I used SmartWater constantly for electrolytes. Best experience I have ever had...

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 09/20/16 at 11:22:13

Kirk Freels   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
3X Gritty Veteran
Race Volunteer
Oak Grove

Carrots might improve your vision but whiskey will double it. Shocked

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you got
IP Logged

Reply #12 - 09/29/16 at 07:34:59

GregStamer   Offline
Future Participant

Donna Miles wrote on 09/18/16 at 17:55:00:
I just solo finished this past race. I am an avid coffee drinker and can promise you I  know when its time for a black cup by  my headaches..

Donna,

I don't bother with making coffee on ultra and multi-day endurance races -- takes too much time, but I do take along some caffeine gum that works for me. I use the "Jolt" brand. The only caveat is that if I plan to sleep that I need to avoid the gum or any "5 hour energy" for at least 7 hours or so, prior.   I've spent more than one night trying to sleep and dead-tired yet too wired to drift off from taking caffeine too recently.

Greg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print