Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop St. James WineryPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hydration (Read 1212 times)
08/25/16 at 11:29:42

Bill E   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran

Any suggestions on how to measure, keep track of the amount of water one is consuming without drinking from bottles?  I plan to drink from one large container and wish to regulate my consumption to about 2 liters an hour.  Suggestions?

One More Time.
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 08/25/16 at 11:32:35

brad126   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Branson MO

Will you be drinking from a hose? If so camelbak makes a digital flow meter that you install inline that will tell you consumption.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 08/25/16 at 13:31:39

Ozark paddler   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Independence Missouri

Or --- take a 2 liter container fill it and pour it into your drink container, mark the level with a water proof marker, there is 1 hour. Refill 2 liter container then pour it in the drink jug and mark the level. Keep going until your jug is full. Works best if you can see through your jug but if you can't then mark on the inside, you'll have to look inside but you will know exactly how much you are consuming.

John

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 08/25/16 at 20:59:01

Bill E   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran

Thanks, I'm sure that one of these plans will work.

One More Time.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 08/25/16 at 21:29:22

Jaybee   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Knoxville, TN

It is also true that no matter how much you think you are drinking, your ground crew will yell at you that you are not drinking enough at almost every checkpoint.

Jim
Boat # 3489
IP Logged

Reply #5 - 09/06/16 at 12:01:17

GregStamer   Offline
Future Participant

The idea behind the Camelback Flow meter is great, but as a warning, I advise you to read some of the reviews before you purchase. Most say it's inaccurate at best. I didn't buy for this reason when I was considering it last year.

Training is the time to work out your water consumption and what food works for you. I measure my water before exercising and when I get done, to get an understanding of consumption rates at different temperatures and in different conditions.

I also use a timer to ensure that I don't forget to drink and drink as the hours pass, otherwise I consume as needed.

Greg

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 09/06/16 at 22:15:24

Bill E   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran

I agree, I was ready to order a camelback meter when I read the reviews.  I guess I will just listen to that noise from the bank telling me to drink more.

One More Time.
IP Logged

Reply #7 - 09/06/16 at 22:48:23

SkiBumJoe   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Race Volunteer
Kawnivore Veteran
Ballwin, MO

I bought one of those flow meters for cycling. Actually didn't need it. Just drink when you're thirsty and just listen to what your body is telling you. Stay ahead of keeping the tank from going close to empty. I know some paddlers that use a countdown timer as a reminder to take a drink.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print