Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop Llama RacksPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Map of river in Missouri with mile markers. (Read 2707 times)
08/23/16 at 14:14:06

Bill E   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran

I have just returned after a six year absence and remember that at one time we had access to a map of the Big Muddy in Missouri.  I would like to access that map again and cannot find it.  Can anyone give me some direction to it? Embarrassed

One More Time.
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 08/23/16 at 17:23:41

Jaybee   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Knoxville, TN

Jim
Boat # 3489
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 08/23/16 at 18:06:32

Bill E   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran

I very profoundly thank you.  You have saved me a lot of time and frustration.

One More Time.
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 08/25/16 at 13:42:32

Ozark paddler   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Independence Missouri

http://www.rivermiles.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1357573158

Lewis and Clark maps. 8 pages here showing the full race coarse.

John  Wink

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 09/19/16 at 13:32:56

Manitou Paddler   Offline
6X MR340 Veteran
3X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #5 - 01/24/18 at 13:55:06

Fast Eddie   Offline
Future Participant

Bill E wrote on 08/23/16 at 14:14:06:
I have just returned after a six year absence and remember that at one time we had access to a map of the Big Muddy in Missouri.  I would like to access that map again and cannot find it.  Can anyone give me some direction to it? Embarrassed

I have a question about this,  I see a lot of people talking about maps of the river, and Ive pulled them up and looked around a little, but I don't understand why you would study them.  theres no way I could remember a 5 mile stretch of the river much less 340 miles,  I'm really just trying to understand what it is everyone is learning about the maps, and if I can learn something I want too!

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 01/24/18 at 14:10:02

DJ Schilly   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran

I don't spend a lot of time studying maps, but I do like to learn about all of the accessible ramps along the way.  I like to know the river mile location of the ramps and whether they are on river right or river left.  I use this to formulate a game plan with my ground crew for meet-ups.  I have some kind of chart with me with this info on it in the boat so that when plan A fails, I can come up with plan B on the fly, and then plan C, and then.....  I've done the race twice and have found that I have to stay flexible with stops, so it pays off to know where all the ramps are before you go.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 01/24/18 at 18:04:02

Jaybee   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Knoxville, TN

I DO like to study maps and get the same benefit that DJ does.  I will cruise the course via Google Earth and will make notes of not only alternate ramps to use but any danger areas and many landmarks.  By race time I will have a series of brief, laminated 'cheat sheets' that I stick on the boat that really help.

Just like it always seems longer to travel somewhere the first time you do it, having some things to recognize can really help your mental game when paddling the 340.  It may be a seemingly little thing but there is a big difference between knowing you are 35 miles from your next checkpoint at 1:35 Wednesday afternoon and knowing that in 12 miles there is a bridge, 8 miles past that a non-checkpoint ramp and 6 miles past that a barge landing on river left.  Your next checkpoint is 'only' 9 miles after that.

I have only been on the Missouri three times but I have actually memorized quite a bit of it.  Just don't get too carried away - you will not need maps with you in the boat.

Jim
Boat # 3489
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print