Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop Llama RacksPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DIY canoe or kayak erg Build Plans (Read 1653 times)
01/27/16 at 15:07:23

Manitou Paddler   Offline
6X MR340 Veteran
3X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

I am burned out on building these.... mainly the chore of hunting down the elusive used nordic track required to build each one....want some of my weekend time back  Tongue

So I went ahead and wrote up a 19 page step-by-step build manual with pics and detailed instructions for either the canoe or kayak version.

You can find out more on this link below.

If you go this route...be sure to email me to let me know which version you want (canoe or kayak). 

It has taken a couple of prototypes and a fair bit of tinkering and adjusting to perfect the conversion...but I have it dialed now.

These are very fluid and water like and will allow you to buy another kayak with the money you save over a commercial erg.

I have seen other nordic track conversions that sorta work..but have rope clearance issues or do not create a real kayak or canoe seating position or simply use bungee tension with a minimal rope and pulley path.  The magic is in the correct used of rope and added pulley's and bungee tension in the right locations to allow a natural stroke that does not spring back at the end of a stroke or leave slack rope and can be adjusted for tension (level of workout) easily.

http://nordickayakerg.blogspot.com/

So if you can trap a used nordic track in a corner and get a rope around its neck and drag it back to your garage...you are well on your way! Wink

Smiley  Bryan
« Last Edit: 01/28/16 at 09:49:16 by Manitou Paddler »  

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 01/28/16 at 09:56:19

MI Mike   Offline
MR340 Veteran

I just put mine together last weekend. She's not pretty but works great! Excellent set of plans Bryan.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 01/29/16 at 08:57:50

KY Paddler   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Madisonville, KY

Bryan,
Just put an ad in the local paper to source a NordicTrack.  Hopefully, I'll be able to put your plans to use very soon.

Bill

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 01/29/16 at 10:52:51

6X MR340 Veteran

Look on craigslist.  You will find folks who want way too much and likely have not gotten any calls.  I simply offer about $40 and often they will just conceed and sell it to you.

I have seen them for $25 in KC area on craigslist.

I have picked a couple up at goodwill for less than $10 before

do search on "nordic" on craigslist and see if you get lucky.

good luck Smiley

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 02/03/16 at 10:17:04

6X MR340 Veteran

There are several used nordic tracks on craigslist in Saint Louis area right now for under $50.   

Grab one, grab the manual (see link in post above).. a few beers and a freshly charged drill.....and 2-3 hours later you will have a bad ass training erg that will raise your redneck credibility and allow you to justify the money you saved on the purchase of a new carbon wing paddle Smiley

Bryan

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #5 - 01/12/18 at 07:42:42

cmarsh   Offline
Future Participant

Bryan, I am ordering up your plans right now. Thank you

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print