Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop Llama RacksPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com paddlestop.comOlathe Ford Lincoln MercuryFarmer's InsuranceLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature CenterSome Beach Outfittersprojectathena.org healthyriverspartnership.comMidwest Paddle AdventuresPaddle KC
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Race to the Dome-Hartsburg Starting Point (Read 10191 times)
09/29/14 at 14:32:30

bobber   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
SEDALIA,MO

Hartsburg Pumpkin Fest is the same weekend as the race.Plan ahead and get their early.Traffic will be a heavy and slow.Ground crew members will have plenty of time to kill at the fest...See every body in Jeff City.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 09/29/14 at 20:17:57

brian and marilyn   Offline
6X MR340 Veteran
Kawnivore Safety Boat Pilot
Kawnivore Veteran
Eldon MO

Is this happening at noren?

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 09/29/14 at 21:07:35

bobber   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
SEDALIA,MO

City of Hartsburg.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 09/30/14 at 09:06:38

Rob   Offline
MR340 Veteran
2X Kawlloween Veteran
3X Gritty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Olathe, KS

No SUP division for the 15.8 mile course?? What'SUP with that!?! 😊

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 09/30/14 at 09:54:33

Seabiscuit   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Sioux Falls, SD

Any idea as to how many people are registered for the Race to the Dome? I haven't seen any updates to the roster since I first looked at the page and registered.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 09/30/14 at 11:00:12

potterspoint434   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Sherwood, AR

I have invited a few people that usually do the Phatwater Race that got cancelled and they were wondering if it was possible to get a shuttle

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 09/30/14 at 11:42:25

Manitou Paddler   Offline
6X MR340 Veteran
3X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

Alma and I are in .....doing the 26 mile race.....in the beast (Safari  boat).....first race with her (paddling that is)

We are psyched

Bryan

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #7 - 10/01/14 at 07:25:53

Murkee Water 2.0   Offline
Ground Crew Veteran
Franklin, MO

We're doing it in the Grumman aluminum...can't wait. 26.6 miles. See you there.

Josiah

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 10/03/14 at 09:41:45

MurKee Water   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

Watch out for this team, young and fiesty!

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 10/09/14 at 00:23:59

traci-lynn   Offline
8X MR340 Veteran
2X Gritty Fitty Veteran
2X Kawlloween Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Record Holder
Lees Summit, Missouri

I was really looking forward to doing this race in my canoe with my two boys... after busting my ass off for the last 5 weeks, training for the 2 dams days, I was really looking forward to doing a relaxing paddle on the Missouri River with my two children..

But, I just tried to sign us up in the C3 division, and I cant since they are 9 and 12 years old and the rules are 18 and older. Sad

This really sucks... Cry

I guess it doesnt matter that I have had them out on the river with me dozens of times over the last several years...

Daniel, my 12 year old, has most likely been on the river more often than some of the adults that are signed up for this race... Embarrassed

Im highly frustrated... Angry

Oh well... maybe they will change the rules for next years race...

signing off with our team name that we cant use now...

Thing 1, Thing 2, and Mother of the Things.

"dont tell me what I Can't do, .... let me show you what I Can do"
IP Logged

Reply #10 - 10/09/14 at 08:39:46

yankeeclipper   Offline
MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
2X Ground Crew Veteran
Katy 50 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

The "rules" are determined by the race sponsor, insurance companies and on the Missouri, the Coast Guard has additional say. Pat and other race directors, like myself and Scott must abide by the input from those organizations. That being said the river is free and you can run as a bandit" and still participate  in the event. My two cents-you being the only power in a canoe with two children in possible rainy, windy, cold conditions with boat wakes to contend over a 26 mile course are asking for trouble. Water robs the body of heat 32 times that of cold air. God forbade you flip over. I would be hesitant to take the 12 year old let alone an additional child of 9. Just my opinion.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 10/09/14 at 09:14:37

Dark Horse Paddler   Offline
9X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Record Holder
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Lee's Summit Missouri

With the cold weather Charlie makes a good point, but let's not forget that two 12 year old girls did the MR340 a couple years back.

However, Traci, if you are wanting to race with your kids, you should do for the Kawlloween which is free entry for anyone under the age of 18. (Plug)

Race to the Dome is a great race though!

-Joe Mann, Dark Horse Paddler
www.MidwestPaddleRacing.com
Your #1 Site for Canoe and Kayak Racing In the Midwest!!
IP Logged

Reply #12 - 10/09/14 at 11:28:44

yankeeclipper   Offline
MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
2X Ground Crew Veteran
Katy 50 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

Let's not forget that the two 12 yr olds were accompanied by one or two other canoes for safety.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 10/09/14 at 12:31:58

Dark Horse Paddler   Offline
9X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Record Holder
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Lee's Summit Missouri

let's not forget that Traci is proposing being in the same boat.  In both cases, the parents were either in the same boat/nearby.

My point was simply that the Missouri river should not be seen as some horribly dangerous place if the right precautions are taken.

Again though, I will concede that with the weather conditions being cold and windy, it has the potential to make a dangerous situation out of one that otherwise might not have existed.

-Joe Mann, Dark Horse Paddler
www.MidwestPaddleRacing.com
Your #1 Site for Canoe and Kayak Racing In the Midwest!!
IP Logged

Reply #14 - 10/10/14 at 14:35:54

traci-lynn   Offline
8X MR340 Veteran
2X Gritty Fitty Veteran
2X Kawlloween Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Lees Summit, Missouri

Thanks Joe, I will sign us up... it will be fun.

Charlie... I understand the danger of paddling on any river.. including the Missouri.

But what you may not know is that the Missouri River access is just 25 minutes from my house and since 2008 I have logged hundreds (if not thousands) of hours on that river...

I train on it, I play on it, I paddle upstream for strength training... I paddle downstream for endurance training... I practice self-rescue on it.... i paddle it when the sun is shining... when the moon is out, when its raining.. and when its snowing.

I respect the river... but I am very comfortable on the river.

I am always careful and would NEVER do anything to put my boys at risk...

We have paddled that river before in my canoe and they have been on it in their own kayaks...

I have taught them to also respect the river.

Ive seen adults who had never been on the river before, sign up to do a race... yet no one questions them.

I have seen adults who could no more do self rescue than a man in the moon... yet no one questions them when they sign up to do a race on the river.

I PRACTICE SAFTY, ESPECIALLY IF MY BOYS ARE WITH ME.

Im not a newbie.... and I know what I am doing ....

I respect your experience and skill and would NEVER question your intentions if you chose to take your grandchildren out on the river..

All I ask is the same respect.

IP Logged

Reply #15 - 10/10/14 at 15:50:23

Manitou Paddler   Offline
6X MR340 Veteran
3X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

Safety rules are not for the experienced....they are for the folks who would show up and really have no idea what they are doing.....that is what the rules on life jackets and other factors are for......a race director simply can't assume all are experienced paddlers and can't be arbritary about who can or can not follow the rules

I don't understand how this is viewed as some personal statement on a paddler......it's not about you or any other individual

Bryan

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #16 - 10/11/14 at 09:07:05

traci-lynn   Offline
8X MR340 Veteran
2X Gritty Fitty Veteran
2X Kawlloween Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Lees Summit, Missouri

You misunderstand.

I am not questioning the rules. I understand the rules are there for everyones protection.

My original post was sent as both a combination of trying to be funny mixed with  frustration (I had promised my boys that we could do the race together and they were looking forward to it).

As a compromise, I am taking them to Worlds of Fun today.

My second post was addressing the statement that I felt like (and maybe I am wrong since I am not a mind reader)... but it felt like my parenting skills were being questioned.

I do not have the luxury of having a spouse or significant other that can paddle beside me and help me keep an eye on my children... so what are my options??
Leave them at home and not share my passion with them...

No...I refuse to do that.   

I practice safty and teach them to also respect the water and river, then take them out with me when the conditions are calm.

I would never take them out if I for one minute thought the conditions were too rough or the water was too cold.

My boys are my life.  I would never put them in harms way.

I need to go.... we have an appt with Worlds of Fun.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print