Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop Llama RacksPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com paddlestop.comOlathe Ford Lincoln MercuryFarmer's InsuranceLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature CenterSome Beach Outfittersprojectathena.org healthyriverspartnership.comMidwest Paddle AdventuresPaddle KC
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Grand Slam (Read 5753 times)
06/25/13 at 10:38:28

PackMan   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Albany, Mo

Beginning at mile 36.9 (Elam Bend access, County Rd 512 bridge, north of Highway Z) and ending at mile 70.7 (Wabash Crossing, near Gallatin off Highway 6), this stretch of the Grand encompasses just under 34 miles of endurance paddling. Scenic bends, riffles, sandbars, and little current (depending on levels) to assist the hardcore paddler. As brutal as any 34 miles on the Kaw, but much easier on the eyes. Both the put-in and take-out points feature a boat ramp and ample parking, and probably an hour drive from the KC area to get there. Who is up for an August or September Grand Slam?

Canoes, too, are inobtrusive; they don't storm the natural world or ride over it, but drift in upon it as a part of its own silence.&&&&When you surpass yourself, success is assured.
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 06/26/13 at 06:19:28

Mexibilly   Offline
Kawnivore Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Overland Park, KS

My wife and I will do it and we'll be training with another tandem team that I'm sure will want to do it too. The calendar for September seems full and August is... hot. I'd be willing to do it in August, I'll just plan on stopping once in a while to take a dip in the river to cool off. Currently, MPRs calendar only shows an event on August 24. http://midwestpaddleracing.com/MPR_Calendar.html

However, August 31 is the weekend before the Gritty Fitty and I assume that most that want to do the Gritty will be hesitant to do a 34 miler the weekend before. But, us Kaw paddlers are a crazy lot so who knows... Check out MPRs calendar and see what works for you.

PM me if you want some help planning the event and I'll see what I can do.

-Luis

Paddle paddle paddle - tip.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 06/28/13 at 08:10:12

PackMan   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Albany, Mo

Thanks brother, sorry for the delay but I'm not getting email notifying a thread reply. Maybe an Oktober Grand Slam, best month to be on the water. I was thinking of a Sunday event, I won't have my daughter that day and I imagine most folks are free. With this bizarre weather the levels ought to be good, might have to hunt for a channel though.

Canoes, too, are inobtrusive; they don't storm the natural world or ride over it, but drift in upon it as a part of its own silence.&&&&When you surpass yourself, success is assured.
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 07/03/13 at 07:54:35

Mexibilly   Offline
Kawnivore Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Overland Park, KS

October sounds good. Why don't we plan on meeting up to do a couple of runs in August and September to make sure that the river plays nice. I'll ask wifey what her availability is and get back to you.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 07/03/13 at 12:55:49

PackMan   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Albany, Mo

Sounds like a plan, i will keep an eye on levels. Today it looked low but still float worthy.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 07/16/13 at 16:40:08

Mexibilly   Offline
Kawnivore Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Overland Park, KS

It looks like wifey and I have something going on every weekend in August but September 22 is open. I prefer to do it on Sunday. Let me know if that works for you and I'll let you know if any of my weekends open up in August. I have a canoe float trip August 10-11 that I don't really want to go to so maybe I'm hoping I can get out of that. It doesn't seem right to be in a canoe and not paddle. If I'm in a canoe, I want to paddle!

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 07/16/13 at 16:44:22

PackMan   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Albany, Mo

Sundays are always good for me.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 07/17/13 at 20:26:29

Nova71   Offline
Future Participant
Lee's Summit MO

I would like to do some time on the Grand. I own some land on the Grand several miles east of the 1-35 bridge just north of the first bridge going into Jameson. I have always wanted to float the river but never have done it. Late September or October would be a good time. Lots of wildlife! Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 07/17/13 at 22:34:49

PackMan   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Albany, Mo

I'm wanting to buy a few acres of rural land, hard to find smaller lots up here, if you know of anything I'd appreciate it.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 08/26/13 at 21:32:59

PackMan   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Albany, Mo

If we don't get some serious rain forget about paddling the Grand, this drought is as hard on it as last years was.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print