Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop Llama RacksPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com paddlestop.comOlathe Ford Lincoln MercuryFarmer's InsuranceLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature CenterSome Beach Outfittersprojectathena.org healthyriverspartnership.comMidwest Paddle AdventuresPaddle KC
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Race For the Rivers 2013 (Read 7624 times)
04/26/13 at 09:42:40

jfawcett   Offline
MR340 Veteran
St. Peters

Hey everyone. Registration for this year's Race For the Rivers is open. The race is August 24, 2013. There's a 40 mile race from Washington to St. Charles and a 20 miler from Weldon Spring to St. Charles. Should be a good time, with the Festival at the end and the usual beer and music and food.

There won't be a two-day stage race this year due to low registration numbers, but we would be willing to bring it back next year if we get enough people requesting it.

http://www.racefortherivers.org

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 04/26/13 at 10:20:08

Driftwood   Offline
Future Participant
Mo

My teams registered but I think I'm under the wrong division.

My partner and I are racing a V1-A mixer, should we be in the C2 Mens Competion Cruiser division (Currently) or change it to the C2 Men's touring canoe?

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 04/26/13 at 10:31:16

jfawcett   Offline
MR340 Veteran
St. Peters

You're in the right division. The mixer is a racing canoe for sure (and I hope we get some more racing canoes out there!). The C2 Touring division is for recreational and touring boats.

Can't wait to see you on the water!

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 04/27/13 at 07:38:03

yankeeclipper   Offline
MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
2X Ground Crew Veteran
Katy 50 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

Is there an entry fee in lieu of sponsors?
Also you would get more competitors if there was a 20 mile competition class.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 04/27/13 at 14:48:24

brian and marilyn   Offline
6X MR340 Veteran
Kawnivore Safety Boat Pilot
Kawnivore Veteran
Eldon MO

Okay so if I read this right it's $50 for a solo $85 for tandem but $60 each for voyager?  Guess the most bang for your buck is the $42.50 and find a tandem partner.  Where's the logic in this pricing?  Just curious.  I have a three man team, where does that fit in.

Thanks
Brian

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 04/29/13 at 09:09:20

jfawcett   Offline
MR340 Veteran
St. Peters

yankeeclipper wrote on 04/27/13 at 07:38:03:
Is there an entry fee in lieu of sponsors?
Also you would get more competitors if there was a 20 mile competition class.

All of the same boat/team divisions exist in the 20 mile race and the 40 mile race. There have actually been some pretty competitive paddlers do the 20 miler in the past, and usually the 20 miler gets more participants than the 40 miler. It's interesting, here in MO it seems the speedier racers all want to race in the longer races. I'd love to see more competitive racers in the short race.

Prizes and medals are awarded to placers in every division and in both the short and long races. I hope that answers your question.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 04/29/13 at 09:16:30

jfawcett   Offline
MR340 Veteran
St. Peters

brian and marilyn wrote on 04/27/13 at 14:48:24:
Okay so if I read this right it's $50 for a solo $85 for tandem but $60 each for voyager? Guess the most bang for your buck is the $42.50 and find a tandem partner. Where's the logic in this pricing? Just curious. I have a three man team, where does that fit in.

Thanks
Brian

Yep, bang for your buck is better in a tandem boat compared to a solo. But this race isn't about the economics of cheap entry fees. The Greenway Network hosts this race every year. They're a non-profit organization that has been working in St. Charles for 20 years, and this event helps fund cleanups, restoration projects and other educational projects.

As for the $60 per racer for voyageur paddlers, I'll have to check on that. I personally paddled last year with Joe and his crew on the only voyageur boat we've had in the race. I know we all entered pledges (and Joe has been a huge supporter of the Greenway Network's efforts), but I don't recall what the amount was. I'm checking on the details and I'll post that. If you saw the $60 amount listed somewhere, let me know so I can get that updated on the website.

As it is now, we don't have any three person classes.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 04/29/13 at 18:30:29

yankeeclipper   Offline
MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
2X Ground Crew Veteran
Katy 50 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

No my question wasn't answered. Is there an entry fee in lieu of getting sponsors or is it sponsors only? I asked about the 20 mile event because it is described as an entry level class.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 04/29/13 at 19:21:06

aziff   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Ofallon, MO

Ive done this race the last two years and there is no sponsor ship needed. The minimum pledge is your entry fee , I just paid the $40 the day of and was good to go.  As far as the 20 mile race goes there is a mix of competative and casual paddlers, I think it is billed as an " entry level " race because you can just " float " the 20 miles and enjoy the views and still finish in time for the festival and some people choose to do just that but there are some that treat it as a 20 mile sprint as well.  Thats just my experience, but James can give you the official take.          Aaron

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 04/29/13 at 19:40:31

Scott Mansker   Offline
Race Staff
15X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

Yeah, I did the full race in its inaugural year.  Just paid the "sponsor" fee and showed up.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 04/30/13 at 11:10:27

jfawcett   Offline
MR340 Veteran
St. Peters

yankeeclipper wrote on 04/29/13 at 18:30:29:
No my question wasn't answered. Is there an entry fee in lieu of getting sponsors or is it sponsors only? I asked about the 20 mile event because it is described as an entry level class.

The only entry fee is the minimum pledge amount. If you can get friends/family/others to cover your minimum pledge, you're all set. Or of course, you can pledge for yourself.

As far as the 20 miler being "entry level," I think all we're trying to do is encourage some less experienced and less committed paddlers to get out on the river and participate. I've paddled the 20 miler hard, and honestly, I think I kind of prefer shorter races. I expect there will be some fast paddlers as well as recreational paddlers in both races.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 08/16/13 at 14:12:17

jfawcett   Offline
MR340 Veteran
St. Peters

The roster for this year's Race For the Rivers is heating up! Check it out here:

http://www.racefortherivers.org/roster.php

Some of the area's big dogs are coming out, including Bryan Hopkins, Kent Robinson, Ron Ladzinski, Joe Ringling as well as a bunch of other regulars and newcomers at the R4R. And of course, Colter's Crew will be blasting the voyageur canoe down the river again this year. It should be a lot of fun!

You still have time to register! www.racefortherivers.org, or check out our facebook page for updates: www.facebook.com/racefortherivers

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 08/16/13 at 14:44:40

Stitch   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Columbia MO

Can you clarify Start times for the 20 & 40 mile paddle races? I've seen 0900 & 0930 noted for the 20 mile. Perhaps due to older data from previous years. Safety @ 0800?

Thanks

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 08/20/13 at 12:29:01

Driftwood   Offline
Future Participant
Mo

This is my first time doing this strecht of the river.

Does anyone have any tips or advice specific to this race?

Thanks

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 08/22/13 at 19:22:23

Mark Frankenbach   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran
Hannibal MO

Paddle hard and make every stroke count!   Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print