Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com kcpaddler.comepic kayaks and paddles SUPStLouisMissouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Lewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center St. James Winery Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgmr340 shirtDents Unlimited2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Kaw Point Danger!!! (Read 6088 times)
11/12/12 at 15:53:59

John DeWitte   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
2X Kawnivore Veteran
Kansas City North of River

I am a Kansas City,MO resident and I often paddle at Kaw Point. NO MORE! I had the day off today for Veteran's Day so I thought I would paddle up to the island and back. On my return back down river I stopped just up river from the Central Ave. bridge to rummage through some old rusty train junk when I heard a loud gunshot. I looked up only to see a muzzle flash coming from a SUV stopped West bound on the lower deck of the Central Ave. bridge. This was followed by six more rapid fire shots. I dove in the weeds and crawled up the bank. The shots all hit the water less than 20 yards from me. When the vehicle left I called the police. They met me at Kaw Point and took my info. They suggested that I paddle at Turner instead. Safer! After the police left I was loading my boat at the top of the ramp when three young males drinking and throwing beer cans around stood at the fence laughing and mimicking me frantically paddling. When the security guard for the levee drove up they left. He waited with me until I could get loaded and out of there. I don't want to give Kaw Point a bad rap but I'm afraid they really enjoyed what they did and got away with it. They will do this again! This all happened at about 1 P.M. on a Monday. Be safe!

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 11/12/12 at 16:40:53

lch2orat64   Offline
2X Kawnivore Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Topeka, KS

HOLY CR@P!!
Glad you're safe-unfortunately there seems to be an increase in people who don't really seem to care what kind of torment they dish out...everybody , please keep your eyes & ears open while you're out & about.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 11/12/12 at 19:44:18

Ladsurfski   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
5X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawlloween Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran
4X Kawlloween Veteran

Sorry to hear that however glad you are safe.

On one of our Tuesday night paddles this season there was a group of individuals throwing stuff off of one of the bridges up river of Kemper (either the 7th or 12th street bridge?) in an attempt to try and hit the paddlers below.

On another paddle in 2011, there was a tow truck pulling out a vehicle that was driven off into the river (apparantly stolen and taken out for a joy roy).

Do be cautious.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 11/12/12 at 20:44:52

JoshS   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Safety Boat Pilot
3X Gritty Veteran
Forum Moderator
Kawnivore Veteran

I have always felt vulnerable when paddling under those bridges.  Once some kids were in the control house of one of the moveable railroad bridges, I thought for sure they were going to chuck something at me but they didn't.

Come out to jacomo, 13 miles of shoreline, lots of wildlife , no speedboats, jet skis or riff raf.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 11/13/12 at 00:27:49

Jeff Needham   Offline
2X Kawlloween Veteran
Kansas City MO (north)

Holy crap. I have been the victim of a  little heckling down there that left a feeling a vulnerability in my stomach. It  makes me sick that these cowards can run us off this river by being so foolish. Initially I figured I would just carry when I am on the river. Then common sense tells me the solo man on low ground is in a poor position for self defense. Especially when your get away vehicle doesn't work well with holes in it.

Sometimes I paddle close to shore because Asian Carp are hilarious!
IP Logged

Reply #5 - 11/13/12 at 07:19:58

rivertrash   Offline
7X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot
Race Volunteer
Kawnivore Safety Boat Pilot
Whoop Up, MO

Wow. Thank you all for sharing those stories, although it freaks me out. I spend so much time trying to convince people that the rivers in their back yards can be safe places to escape - places they want to be. I know so many of you do the same.

As always, its the people that are the most dangerous element.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 11/13/12 at 23:37:28

NoTrace   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Greenwood, Mo

I just read your story online, and oh my god I'm glad your ok. This sport is getting bigger and bigger every year, and it's things like this make me worried it will keep people away. I've got a few trips planned for some floating and camping in the spring and I really hope this doesn't turn away the people that are planning on joining me. Just glad your ok. Hopefully they will get caught, such cowards.

Ash Padgett
IP Logged

Reply #7 - 11/13/12 at 23:40:31

Jeff Needham   Offline
2X Kawlloween Veteran
Kansas City MO (north)

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 11/14/12 at 05:46:02

John DeWitte   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
2X Kawnivore Veteran

I was pretty shaken up when I wrote my original message. I don't won't to deter anyone from paddling. I have been paddling solo in unfamiliar areas in California, Texas, Kansas, and Missouri since 1996. This was the first incident of any kind I have ever experienced. I will use Kaw Point as an access point to the MO again but it will probably be some time until I paddle up the Kaw under those bridges again.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 11/14/12 at 08:35:31

Scott Mansker   Offline
Race Staff
9X Safety Boat Pilot

Great job on the TV interview.  Thanks for being willing to do it.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 11/14/12 at 10:05:54

yankeeclipper   Offline
MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
2X Ground Crew Veteran
Katy 50 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

A number of years ago in the upper Susquehanna, a friend of mine was paddling and some clown shot a hole in his canoe with a .22
Seems there are idiots everywhere.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 11/14/12 at 11:20:50

Jeff Needham   Offline
2X Kawlloween Veteran
Kansas City MO (north)

The underside of that bridge is pretty much used to connect one of the hubs of hell to another. Would it be possible to ask the City of Kansas City Kansas to close it. The officer who spoke to Luca said that they sit down there blacked out a lot and when the "light someone up" the find a lot of criminals using the bridge to move drugs and prostitutes and guns, and lots of other things that do not benefit Kansas City as a whole. I can't imagine any law abiding citizen would object too loudly about being moved to the top side of the bridge.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 11/14/12 at 20:58:15

starbor   Offline
MR340 Veteran
361-277-1214
victoria texas

always bring a camera and a rifle with a good scope. You may want to take pictures of your trophies you snipe off of these bridges. In Texas it's legal to carry on the water.
P.S. make sure you drop your cell phone in the water after the shootin.

361-277-1214
IP Logged

Reply #13 - 11/16/12 at 01:11:15

Tango Whiskey   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Gladstone, MO

I am glad you are okay.  Near the 80 hr mark at this years MR340 someone was shooting at paddlers just this side of the finish.  I kept noticing a helo flying over and thought that it may have been a news crew covering the race.  When I finished I talked to another paddler who said they were pulled off the water for a bit by the police while they investigated.

There is really a steep decline of morality in this country.  I do not know what is happening, but the lack of caring for each other and just plain stupidity is really becoming worrisome.

"To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing." -- Robert Gates
IP Logged

Reply #14 - 11/23/12 at 07:26:00

woodman   Offline
Future Participant
Bates City Mo.

This would send those punks running... Wink

seriouskayaking.jpg (67 KB | 233 )
seriouskayaking.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #15 - 11/24/12 at 01:40:39

Tango Whiskey   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Gladstone, MO

awesome!  That might push you upstream backwards like a jet-pack during the melee.  A few hundred coats of kevlar on that bow might be advisable as well...

"To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing." -- Robert Gates
IP Logged

Reply #16 - 11/24/12 at 06:37:37

John DeWitte   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
2X Kawnivore Veteran

10-4!!! Are those available in fifty cal.????

IP Logged

Reply #17 - 11/24/12 at 19:21:37

Joewildlife   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Jackson MO

Tango Whiskey, I respectfully question your account of somebody shooting at paddlers on the river during the 340.  There are shooting ranges along the river.  I have heard paddlers express concern that there was gunshots going off as they paddled down the river.  Shooting ranges pose no threat to river users, 99.9999% of recreational shooters pose no threat.  I think some folks over react to the sound of gunshots.

As for me, I will just say that Missouri allows conceal carry, with a permit, for a reason.  Open carrying is also legal.  Strap a .40 on your front deck in plain view.  I doubt you will have any problem thereafter.

Joe

And I ain't too old to hurry
Cause I ain't too old to die
But I sure am hard to beat
Ride on
AC/DC, Ride On
IP Logged

Reply #18 - 11/25/12 at 06:17:25

John DeWitte   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
2X Kawnivore Veteran

I have also encountered people along the river target shooting into the bank and a few not as wise firing across the river. I just blew my whistle to get their attention. This is all it took. These for the most part are good people just enjoying the river in a different manner. Not punks in the middle of town shooting at paddlers. As far as carrying while paddling..................made a recent purchase.

IP Logged

Reply #19 - 12/10/12 at 09:40:45

rivertrash   Offline
7X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot
Race Volunteer
Kawnivore Safety Boat Pilot
Whoop Up, MO

@Joewildlife -
Actually TangoWhiskey is correct. There was someone just upstream of the Page Ave. Bridge that was shooting at a string of paddlers and a couple of local fishermen in a john boat. According to all the witnesses (most of whom were hunkered behind a trail dike as the shooting continued) the shots continued for about 20 minutes.

Scott handled the situation really well, and we had a contingent of safety boats that stayed on scene to keep a presence for a couple of hours and shuttled local law enforcement and Coast Guard detectives to the scene.

It's hard to imagine what would make someone do this. Local law enforcement suggested that it was just someone shooting off their guns, but the paddlers and fishermen that were shot at saw things quite differently, as there were splashes and hit rocks right near them. In fact when that was suggested to the fishermen they were absolutely livid.

But as Lucas and Joe said, most gunshots heard near the river are recreational shooters, and there are several shooting ranges located near the river.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print