Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop St. James WineryPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hydropel vs Bodyglide LP (Read 6118 times)
07/07/12 at 18:10:07

Tango Whiskey   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Gladstone, MO

Hydropel is going for about $30 for 2 oz, while a 1.6 oz tube of Bodyglide LP is $10.  Has anyone used either of these products and if so is there a difference.
Also, do most people wear paddling gloves and if so any suggestions?

"To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing." -- Robert Gates
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 07/07/12 at 18:33:08

Walt Birmingham   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
3X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot
Forum Moderator
Chamois, MO

My experience is that if you practice with gloves then you're fine. But if you aren't used to wearing gloves then you are better off without them.
In my first race I decided at the last minute to use them and maybe it was the type of glove I wore or maybe it was just the fact that I almost never wear any type of glove, but I ended up with blisters beneath the seams of the gloves even before I reached Lexington. It made the next 300 miles tough to take.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story. (Mark Twain)       http://greatrivertimes.blogspot.com
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 07/07/12 at 19:19:58

dshook   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
A nation of shep begets
a government of wolves
Aurora, MO

zombierunner.com has hydropel for $19.95.  If you spend $50 on the website shipping is free.  I stocked up on cases of clif bloks to make up the difference.  they have great prices on those also.  Much much cheaper than any where else I found.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 07/08/12 at 03:56:10

jimmiethejet   Offline
MR340 Veteran

I've used bodyglide a fair amount running marathons, etc.  Works really well, doesn't take a whole lot to do the job, and is comfortable after you get over the initial kind of greasy feeling.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 07/08/12 at 08:08:47

dshook   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
A nation of shep begets
a government of wolves
Aurora, MO

I think the main difference is hydropel is not only a body lube but it also repels water.  I can't recall what the main ingredient is off hand but I know its 30% where all the other brands that have it only have 5%.  Its the main ingredient that repels the water from your skin.  It says to put it on the night before for best results and it should last till the next night when you can put some more on.  I'm using it on my feet hands and rear end for the race.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 07/08/12 at 11:34:54

lazzy1   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran

Hydropel lists one active ingredient; Dimethicone 30%

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 07/08/12 at 11:59:22

dshook   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
A nation of shep begets
a government of wolves
Aurora, MO

That's it. Knew it  begain with with a d....  I do alot of backpacking and those guys swear by it

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 07/09/12 at 11:51:48

lch2orat64   Offline
2X Kawnivore Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Topeka, KS

I used Body Glide for the Kawnivore- applied once before the race & had no chafing at all.
(I believe it also helped me  that I wore a 'rash guard' style shirt with flatlocked seams placed where they didn't rub againt my PFD)
My 2 cents on gloves vs. no gloves:
Seams + water or sweat= chafing

I used  lightweight (polypropylene) glove liners that have no seams- I put them on at Wamego & wore them for the rest of the Kawnivore.
These were smooth, wicked away water & sweat very well.
Can be purchased at most outdoor shops/ online polypropylene or for cooler water & weather, Thermax or similar.
-Lee

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 07/12/12 at 15:11:24

Team Barenaked   Offline
Future Participant

Who is going to be first to coat the hull of their rig with Hydropel?

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 07/13/12 at 18:30:25

Dave Tlusty   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Wisconsin

Above, dshook mentioned zombierunner.com. I ordered from them late Sunday night and the stuff showed up Thursday before noon! Thats fast!   Its great when people find great deals... and then to also find out they have great service.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 07/13/12 at 23:20:51

Tango Whiskey   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Gladstone, MO

I agree, I ordered from zombierunner and they had it to me in a few days.  The price was right..

"To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing." -- Robert Gates
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print