Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop Llama RacksPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Time/Distance/Pace Card (Read 12951 times)
04/02/12 at 19:33:00

FlyinLow   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
"Life is Entered Upon
with Courage"- A de T

I thought I had run across something similar, but when I went back, couldn't find it.† So...since I like excel, I made one.

For those interested in knowing how long it will take to reach the next checkpoint for a given pace (mph).†

If you have questions or don't understand, let me know and I can try to clarify.† Hope it helps.

FlyinLow

MR340_table.xls (23 KB | )

"Don't think you're on the right road just because itís a well-beaten path." †~Author Unknown
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 04/02/12 at 21:40:16

dshook   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
A nation of shep begets
a government of wolves
Aurora, MO

Will have to play around with it.... thanks

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 07/20/12 at 11:45:32

FlyinLow   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
"Life is Entered Upon
with Courage"- A de T

After a few races under my belt, this is the latest version of my Time/Distance/Pace Card.† It has the split time between legs as well as "clock" time you should arrive at a check point (based on the 7am- Solo Start). These are based on an overall average.† †You can determine your overall average by using a GPS or referencing the card.† Laminate it and give one to your ground crew and they should have a better idea what time you should arrive.† All the times are based on a formula derived from the river miles and mph.† If you notice any inaccuracies, please let me know.

Hope this helps. 

Enjoy!  See you in 2 weeks!

FlyinLow #0050

MR340_table_001.xls (56 KB | 716 )

"Don't think you're on the right road just because itís a well-beaten path." †~Author Unknown
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 07/26/12 at 19:05:25

climbguru   Offline
6X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Kawlloween Record Holder
Kawnivore Record Holder
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Record Holder
Fish Tacos!!!
Jefferson City

I LOVE THIS CHART.

THIS IS MY VERSION AFTER TOOLING WITH IT FOR A FEW MINUTES.

IM REALLY HOPING I STAY RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THAT RANGE. I HAVE WARNED MY GROUND THAT IF I FALL BELOW THIS RANGE, IM STOPPING TO DRINK BEER

MATT

MR340_table_2012.xls (60 KB | 607 )

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly ... it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated."  -- Thomas Paine.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 07/26/12 at 19:50:45

Arizona C-1er   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Arizona

Pretty chart.  Is there anything in here for those of us who will not be sub-50 hour finishers?

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 07/26/12 at 20:02:06

chuck and di   Offline
12X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
5X Gritty Fitty Veteran
MR340 Record Holder
Kawnivore Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran

Di and I used a chart like this in 2010. We broke it down further into daytime average and night time average, and stayed very close to it.
Remember, your nightime average will be about 1/2 mile slower than daytime (mostly because of things that go bump in the night.)

If you find yourself suddenly smack dab in the middle of hell, stopping is not an option.
IP Logged

Reply #6 - 07/26/12 at 23:05:57

FlyinLow   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
"Life is Entered Upon
with Courage"- A de T

AZ C-1er,

The second chart I posted above (7/20/2012) will work for over over 50hr times.† I created that one for the majority of skill levels to use.† You can delete the columns you don't think you'll use.†Or, if you can read excel programming, rewrite the formulas for anytime you may want. I will also interpolate my times while in route to make sure my brain is working† Grin

total hours=mph (so over 50hr = anything slower than 6.8mph)

88= 3.86
80= 4.25
75= 4.53
70= 4.85
65= 5.23
60= 5.66
55= 6.18
50= 6.8
45= 7.55
40= 8.5

I can't take all the credit, I got the ideas for the split times from Dark Horse Paddler.† Thanks Joe.

Chuck, great point.† May look at doing that in the future.  Did you post the one you did for 2010 online?  I really thought I had seen one similar to mine once, but couldn't find it again.

-FlyinLow

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 07/26/12 at 23:40:40

Arizona C-1er   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Arizona

Sorry, Flyin Low, my question was directed to Matt (ClimbGuru).  His chart, as nice as it is, does not seem to go below 7.0 mph average speed (including stops), for a finishing time of 48 hrs 52 min.  Some of us will be slower than that.

Your chart is certainly nice enough, and will work just fine.  Thanks for all the time and thought you put into this.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 07/27/12 at 09:07:07

Scott Reeves   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
2X MR340 Record Holder
Springfield, MO

Here is the one my ground crew is using to track us and I have shrunk a copy to a quarter sheet size and attached it to my boat for reference.

Reeves

Pacechart.JPG (167 KB | 851 )
Pacechart.JPG

Philippians 4:13

To run an ultramarathon, you have to be arrogant enough to believe you can do it... and stupid enough to try.
-Unknown
IP Logged

Reply #9 - 07/27/12 at 13:12:59

climbguru   Offline
6X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Kawlloween Record Holder
Kawnivore Record Holder
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Fish Tacos!!!
Jefferson City

Reeves

i like that chart too. the miles remaining row is a nice addition.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly ... it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated."  -- Thomas Paine.
IP Logged

Reply #10 - 07/27/12 at 16:43:10

climbguru   Offline
6X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Kawlloween Record Holder
Kawnivore Record Holder
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Fish Tacos!!!
Jefferson City

My chart can easily be modified for any avg speeds. Simply change the formula in the top cell, and then drag it down the entire column. If anyone needs help creating their own personalized chart send me PM and I can talk you through it as long as you have excel.

Matt

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 07/18/15 at 14:41:50

FlyinLow   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
"Life is Entered Upon
with Courage"- A de T

Reposting the pace table for the 2015 race.† This version is set up for the solo start.† Laminate and place in your boat.† You can use this chart with just a watch and it will give you a close approximation of when you will reach each checkpoint.†
« Last Edit: 02/03/16 at 18:05:20 by FlyinLow »  

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 07/18/15 at 14:43:01

FlyinLow   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
"Life is Entered Upon
with Courage"- A de T

Here is the one for the 8am start.† Also helps your groundcrew know when you'll reach your next ramp.† I used it 2 years ago and predicted my finish time within a few minutes when I departed Klondike.†
« Last Edit: 02/03/16 at 18:05:31 by FlyinLow »  

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 07/18/15 at 14:54:17

RugbyDoc   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
St. Charles, MO

These...are...awesome.  Thank you!!

Smiley

You know you are a kayaker when you can't go over a bridge without looking for water under it.
IP Logged

Reply #14 - 07/20/15 at 09:30:59

Laverne   Offline
10X Ground Crew Veteran
Blue Springs, MO

HI All,

I love the spreadsheet - have used in the past and passed out printed copies to other ground crews to help them out.

I have only one question / concern. I believe the correct river mile marker for Hartsburg access is 160. It's only about 10 river miles from Coopers and about 16 miles to Jeff (Noreen).

Could you update the spreadsheet to reflect this as I currently don't have the Excell program?

Thanks for the great work!

Loretto Ray

IP Logged

Reply #15 - 07/20/15 at 10:09:03

J_P   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran

I love these! As a data guy I love all the data I can get my hands on.

Here is the charting we're using. First tab is just calculating arrival times, second tab is designed to print on legal or 8 x 11 sheet of paper.

M340_Splits_2.xls (462 KB | 479 )
IP Logged

Reply #16 - 07/21/15 at 23:53:32

FlyinLow   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
"Life is Entered Upon
with Courage"- A de T

Laverne wrote on 07/20/15 at 09:30:59:
HI All,

I love the spreadsheet - have used in the past and passed out printed copies to other ground crews to help them out.

I have only one question / concern. I believe the correct river mile marker for Hartsburg access is 160. It's only about 10 river miles from Coopers and about 16 miles to Jeff (Noreen).

Could you update the spreadsheet to reflect this as I currently don't have the Excell program?

Thanks for the great work!

Loretto Ray

Great catch. I'd looked it over numerous times and not sure how I missed it.  I updated the files for both 7am and 8am.  The attachments are in the same post above.

IP Logged

Reply #17 - 07/22/15 at 06:36:40

Laverne   Offline
10X Ground Crew Veteran
Blue Springs, MO

Flyinlow -- thank you so much! This is a GREAT tool for the ground crews!!

Loretto

IP Logged

Reply #18 - 07/23/15 at 06:45:16

FlyinLow   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
"Life is Entered Upon
with Courage"- A de T

Yes, it was my ground crews best piece of equipment.  They accurately predicted my arrival time within minutes all through the race.  All they need to know is the time you left your last checkpoint/ramp.  As long as the paddler keeps the same pace (doesn't take any stops between checkpoints) and the ground crew can do some simple interpolation, they will be within minutes of the boats arrival. 

Because it uses an overall MPH, a boat can rest for as long as they want and it will still be accurate late in the race.

IP Logged

Reply #19 - 07/23/15 at 12:24:27

jbook   Offline
Future Participant
Poplar Bluff, MO

Flyinlow

Great tool† Thanks to all that put work into this and shared.† Newbie question, are all the locations beyond the standard checkpoints easily assessable by ground crew and if so, are some easier than others.† I noticed that some of the locations are in yellow and some are in white, what's the significance of this.† I'm from southeast Missouri and just not that familiar with the Missouri River.† Any insight on the matter would be greatly appreciated.†

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print