Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com kcpaddler.comepic kayaks and paddles SUPStLouisMissouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Lewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center St. James Winery Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgmr340 shirtDents Unlimited2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2012 Registration is OPEN. (Read 3896 times)
03/04/12 at 17:47:14
Scott   Ex Member

http://rivermiles.com/kawnivore-100/

June 1-2.  There is also an August make up date in the event of June flooding.  Be sure you can make both dates.

Looking forward to a fat full moon and more stories from the all night slugfest that is the Kawnivore.

Great shakedown for the 2012 MR340.  Test your lights and your guts.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 03/06/12 at 20:25:21

dcspecial   Offline
6X Ground Crew Veteran

What is the August make up date if needed? Also can your update me to ground crew veteran for the kawnivore. Was the ground crew for the Anvil Toters last year.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 03/07/12 at 15:10:53

Dead Last Johnnie   Ex Member

I just received and e-mail from somebody named "Kate Mansker" telling all about the Kawnivore 2012. Who the heck is that?!!!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley Grin Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 03/14/12 at 16:58:04

ccclement   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Oakland, IA

Scott - do you know what time the Kawnivore will start?

Clay & Laura Clement
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 03/18/12 at 13:11:47
Scott   Ex Member

Kawnivore will have sign in and tshirt pick up between 11am and 245pm.  We will then have a mandatory safety training at 3pm-4pm.  Race will begin at 6pm.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 03/25/12 at 19:39:54

twentershannon   Offline
Kawnivore Veteran

If you do a tandem boat, and one member is a bit late to the meeting, can you still participate? I am a teacher and I am not sure what time I will make it to the meeting on Friday.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 03/26/12 at 06:56:54
Scott   Ex Member

As long as one person in the boat attends the meeting, we should be ok.

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 05/06/12 at 12:32:35

Pappy   Offline
6X MR340 Veteran
3X Kawlloween Veteran
2X Gritty Fitty Veteran
2X Kawnivore Veteran
Kawlloween Record Holder
Gritty Fitty Record Holder

STILL TIME
The KAWnivore is a coming, still room and time to sign up folks, DON’T miss one of the neatest races in the area. It has a evening start, the beautiful Kaw River in the full moon light, a daytime finish, a very neat finish line area. With the Missouri river so far down this year we WILL have more water in the Kaw than last year, I will personally guarantee the water level to be above last years. If it’s not I will have a cold Pabst Blue Ribbon for all finishers!!! For this race we (Pappy and Son) are expanding to, A Pappy, A Baker, and an Outrigger Maker. Krista Sue has agreed to put off baking cookies for the weekend and paddle with us, Yancy and I see it as a way to help insure a finish as the percentage of Ladies that finished last year was much better than the men’s.
Again still time to sign up. Last year’s experience was one of the most outstanding things that I have every done. If you are worried about the water level you heard about from last year you can see that I have that covered so don’t hold back any longer if you’re not signed up yet come on aboard the KAWnivore experience.

Pappy

If brute force doesn't solve your problems you're not using enough of it!
IP Logged

Reply #8 - 05/07/12 at 16:42:51
Jeff Needham   Ex Member

When does registration close. I am still banging my head, wondering if I want to put my boat through this. Its a skin boat , so far it seems sturdy enough.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 05/07/12 at 17:12:17

lch2orat64   Offline
2X Kawnivore Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Topeka, KS

Aww, come on- there's plenty of water-
the  dust bowl was back in the (19)30's
...just remember repair kits for the journey- I know I will.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 05/09/12 at 12:35:21

Blind Man Dan   Offline
3X Kawnivore Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran

Any more than 1200 cfs should be considered a blessing on this river.  Keeps it interesting.  We’re lucky to have what water we’ve got.  People that complain about lack of water clearly can’t read it.

I concur with Pappy…  dude or chick, you simply have not lived until you’ve danced this race.  You will get shelfed.  Probably more than once.  You will get frustrated.  Get over it.  Whatever residith within thy conscious will be reduced to something akin to the consistency of Perpetuem swilled with epically pulverized sand, and smelly, icky, grey river mud...  you will be mostly alone, on a beautiful yet dangerous river, under a full canopy of brightly glowing stars, darkness interwoven with the brilliantly reflected moonlight, the occasional green and red blow light to remind you that it’s real;  then when we round back towards the sun again— it will fry anything and everything that’s left within your soul, albeit slowly, and with just a hint of ‘humidity’.  Confidence is not required for this race, just the purest form of unfettered insanity you can bring repeatedly to muster on that oar.

Greatly looking forward to that quality, ice cold, PBR…    Smiley

"Never regret.  If it's good, it's wonderful.  If it's bad, it's experience."  -- Eleanor Hibbert
IP Logged

Reply #11 - 05/09/12 at 14:51:17

JoshS   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Safety Boat Pilot
3X Gritty Veteran
Forum Moderator
Kawnivore Veteran

Blind Man Dan wrote on 05/09/12 at 12:35:21:
Any more than 1200 cfs should be considered a blessing on this river.  Keeps it interesting.  We’re lucky to have what water we’ve got.  People that complain about lack of water clearly can’t read it.

Wow, thats quite a statement.   I guess everyone who hit sand during the race last year was a regular novice.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 05/09/12 at 16:36:43

Blind Man Dan   Offline
3X Kawnivore Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran

Geologically speaking--  as when compared to a river, yes, we are all quite youthful.  I sense and do not discount your frustration, as I have spent many hours with it as my own.  To be human and paddle the Kaw, is to eventually paddle sand.  No human’s eyesight or judgment is ever that perfect.  I apologize for my comment.

"Never regret.  If it's good, it's wonderful.  If it's bad, it's experience."  -- Eleanor Hibbert
IP Logged

Reply #13 - 05/10/12 at 19:08:19

bbodson   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Texas

I really loved this race last year.  Only reason I'm not coming up for this one is that the TWS is on June 9.  I'll have to sand my boat by hand this year!

"He who hears the rippling of rivers in these degenerate days will not utterly despair." H.D. Thoreau
IP Logged

Reply #14 - 05/13/12 at 10:34:38

Too Real   Offline
Future Participant

Due to its ever-shifting sandy soil bed, the Kansas River is a textbook example of "changeable paddling conditions".  One reason I like paddling it so much is because of the chameleon nature of its navigable channel(s).

One of the best and easiest daytime floats I ever enjoyed on the Kansas happened one day between Lecompton and Lawrence with the river running a meager 645 cfs.  Very slow going in serpentine braided channels but my hull never touched sand once.

My most embarrassing grounding happened at high water when paddling the Kansas with a couple of buddies.  We were riding a summertime storm surge -- doing a "rocket run" down from Lecompton.  We zoomed down to that left-hand bend about a half mile above the Lawrence Westar power plant, and there my buddies steered river right.  I went left,c hoosing the bend's inside arc, hoping to exploit the shortcut route.  Halfway around the bend I ran aground -- in broad daylight yet -- with the river running 47,000 cfs.

Which I suppose illustrates that any recreational float trip done on the Kansas is likely to further your education in paddling "technical flatwater".

IP Logged

Reply #15 - 05/30/12 at 15:15:43

Pappy   Offline
6X MR340 Veteran
3X Kawlloween Veteran
2X Gritty Fitty Veteran
2X Kawnivore Veteran
Kawlloween Record Holder
Gritty Fitty Record Holder

I will personally guarantee the water level to be above last years. If it’s not I will have a cold Pabst Blue Ribbon for all finishers!!!

When Granny saw what I posted she said I could not HAVE one for everyone but I could give everybody one for them to have themself!!. So that's what we will do. I hope to make the finish line in our boat but the beer will be there with our ground crew. See you all theree

If brute force doesn't solve your problems you're not using enough of it!
IP Logged

Reply #16 - 05/30/12 at 15:57:18

Dead Last Johnnie O   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
3X Kawlloween Veteran
Race Volunteer
2X Gritty Fitty Veteran
3X Kawnivore Veteran
the turtle's name is Fred
Belton,Mo

Pappy,
How about giving all the starters a PBR at the BEGINNING of the race. Maybe we can help RAISE the Kaw water level! Smiley Grin

You are gonna hurt going slow or fast…so might as well go fast --A.Dog. 
 Don't stop--West Hanson 
 DEAD LAST > DID NOT FINISH > DID NOT START
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print