Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop St. James WineryPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
sliding seats in a canoe (Read 20033 times)
02/01/12 at 10:28:21

Los Humungos   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Sometimes wears a Wally
Werderich costume

The thought of putting sliding seats in a canoe is kind of daunting.  They seriously help though.  Especially when going from a bench seat to installed bucket seats.  In reality, they are not very hard to install on your canoe.  In fact, you can buy most of the equipment right from the hardware store.  Seats can be purchased from Wenonah at a fairly reasonable price too.

For grins and giggles (and hopefully some practical use as well), I thought I might post some pics of some sliding seats that were installed in aluminum canoes.

Sometimes when you are man, you wear stretchy pants...its for fun... -Nacho   
You do not get guns like these from riding a bike. -Matt Strieb
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 02/01/12 at 10:30:51

Los Humungos   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Sometimes wears a Wally
Werderich costume

The above is the bow seat.  Note how the front bulkhead was removed so that bow paddler can move further towards the bow.  If you do decide to remove the bulkhead, make sure you replace any of the flotation that you remove and place it elsewhere in the boat.  Often this can be done using bouyant materials for your rigging.
« Last Edit: 02/01/12 at 12:18:36 by Los Humungos »  

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 02/01/12 at 10:31:31

Los Humungos   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Sometimes wears a Wally
Werderich costume

Another pic

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 02/01/12 at 10:35:17

Los Humungos   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Sometimes wears a Wally
Werderich costume

Another

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 02/01/12 at 10:36:56

Los Humungos   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Sometimes wears a Wally
Werderich costume

Side note.  When I can, I like to use square aluminum tubing.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 02/01/12 at 11:50:39
Salty Dog #1   Ex Member

If you can't find the tubing you're looking for at the hardware store, I've used http://www.onlinemetals.com/ in the past.  I built the racks for my truck out of some 2" square Aluminum tubing

These are great threads Wally. Keep 'em coming

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 02/01/12 at 22:58:05

Mark Bramer   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Sanity checked at the
door
Maryland Heights, MO

Very nice...  Looks like your seats have two different materials.  Is that personal preference?  Which do you prefer?

18' QCC 700X&&http://www.active.com/donate/paddle2battle&&Paddling to battle cancer one stroke at a time
IP Logged

Reply #7 - 02/03/12 at 10:19:39

Los Humungos   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Sometimes wears a Wally
Werderich costume

The pictures I posted of the seats on this thread are not from my canoe(s).  In terms of canoe seats for ultra distance races, my preference is to get a seat as large as possible.  With a large seat, your weight can be distributed over more area on your butt.  While the smaller seats will work (and these are the seats I have installed in most of my canoes), in a perfect world, I would use larger seats such as the one in this picture.  I know that Wenonah makes them, but I have been told that they do not make the larger seats in composite anymore.  Only plastic.  
« Last Edit: 02/07/12 at 09:22:32 by Los Humungos »  

Boat1_001.jpg (45 KB | )
Boat1_001.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 02/03/12 at 13:03:29

Paddle-Up   Offline
Future Participant
Dedicated to those who,
"Serve & Protect."!
Riverside, MO

I was wondering if the sliding frame from an old car bucket seat might work.  I could then just take the seat out of my old mustang and set it in the canoe.  I bet it would be very comfortable.   Roll Eyes

Terry:  "In war, there are no unwounded soldiers." -Jose Narosky.  Wink
IP Logged

Reply #9 - 02/06/12 at 18:02:04

Joewildlife   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Jackson MO

Wally,
Two business questions you could probably answer.

How much are new white plastic genuine Sawyer canoe, large,  "tractor" seats worth?  I can possibly end up with over a dozen to sell.  Not trying to tease anyone here....  I think it would be the same seat as was in the Loon I sold you.

But to further the tease, how much is a genuine mold worth, that you can lay up your own kevlar/fiberglass/carbon seats with?  I would say the mold is exactly the same as Sawyer/Mad River/Kruger/Superior Canoes use in their Expedition boats.  Very comfortable.  I can possibly end up with the mold as well.

You see...I have a guy for these things....

Joe

And I ain't too old to hurry
Cause I ain't too old to die
But I sure am hard to beat
Ride on
AC/DC, Ride On
IP Logged

Reply #10 - 02/07/12 at 09:57:17

Los Humungos   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Sometimes wears a Wally
Werderich costume

Joewildlife wrote on 02/06/12 at 18:02:04:
Wally,
Two business questions you could probably answer.

How much are new white plastic genuine Sawyer canoe, large,  "tractor" seats worth?  I can possibly end up with over a dozen to sell.  Not trying to tease anyone here....  I think it would be the same seat as was in the Loon I sold you.

But to further the tease, how much is a genuine mold worth, that you can lay up your own kevlar/fiberglass/carbon seats with?  I would say the mold is exactly the same as Sawyer/Mad River/Kruger/Superior Canoes use in their Expedition boats.  Very comfortable.  I can possibly end up with the mold as well.

You see...I have a guy for these things....

Joe

Joe:
Ones like the ones in this picture?  This is Charlie Lockwood's canoe and I have heard him say good words many times about these seats.  In my opinion, they would be very good seats to use to upgrade your seats in an upgrade process discussed in this thread.  Additionally, I do think that there is a demand for good seats in the MR340 community.  Each year, there seems to be a few people looking for nice seats to upgrade their canoe.  A friend of mine just bought a big plastic one from Wenonah for $20.00 plus shipping.  These Sawyers would be nicer seats than the one he bought and thus warrant a higher price.  Zaverel sells carbon seats (without any mounting equipment) for about $65.00, but these are not really the larger "tractor style" ones.  I know Crozier has a mold to make larger composite ones, but I do not know what he charges for them my guess is around $80.00.  So without getting into specific pricing (because, really, I have no idea) I would say somewhere in that spectrum based upon demand.

That is cool on the mold too.  I really have no idea what that is worth.  If it were me, I guess I would buy a couple, see if they sell.  If they sell fast at a good price, I would think about buying more and think about buying the mold as well (if it is not too expensive).

Hut,
Wally

Oh, and on a side note Joe, I got that loon out of storage this weekend.  Sad  I have not paddled it or even looked at much since I bought it.  After we got it out, we brought it to my friends house where we are going to begin to try to spruce it up. 

IMAG0541.jpg (486 KB | )
IMAG0541.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 02/07/12 at 10:04:44

Los Humungos   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Sometimes wears a Wally
Werderich costume

Just looked up some pictures form my loon.  It appears the seats are different from the seats in the above picture.  That being said, I know they are bigger than normal seats, so the same logic still applies.  Just depends a bit if the seats are composite or plastic.  The one in my loon is plastic.

P6220054.JPG (541 KB | )
P6220054.JPG

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 02/07/12 at 13:27:03

Joewildlife   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Jackson MO

Yeah, the plastic seats I may be able to get are exactly like the one in your Loon and the attached pic.

The mold is identical or dang near the same.  Not as "contoured" as the one in the earlier post.

Joe

Ride on
AC/DC, Ride On
IP Logged

Reply #13 - 02/07/12 at 14:13:44

Joewildlife   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Jackson MO

The mold I have should produce a seat like this Kruger seat, shown installed in an old Sawyer Loon.  I have to put a seat like this one in mine too.

"Loonatics" and "Krugerheads" take note of the last three pictures and the seat mounts.

Wally's picture is one design of a 3 height adjustable Sawyer seat with portage pads.
The mounting on the secibd white plastic seat is a more standard Sawyer design, sliding forward and back, AND height adjustable, but no portage pads.
The kevlar Kruger seat is 3 height adjustable, and flip it over and it has the best portage pads in the industry, if you ask me.

Joe

Grn_Loon_Seat.JPG (195 KB | )
Grn_Loon_Seat.JPG

Ride on
AC/DC, Ride On
IP Logged

Reply #14 - 02/07/12 at 17:02:59

Paddle-Up   Offline
Future Participant
Dedicated to those who,
"Serve & Protect."!
Riverside, MO

Joe,   like the ability to raise and lower the seats and pictured in your posting.  I am wondering how that seat might mount to a car bucket seat frame providing the horizontal movement some folks like.

SeatFrame.jpg (18 KB | )
SeatFrame.jpg

Terry:  "In war, there are no unwounded soldiers." -Jose Narosky.  Wink
IP Logged

Reply #15 - 06/11/13 at 10:57:51

PackMan   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Albany, Mo

I'm looking for a tractor or bucket canoe seat much like the ones shown on this thread, can anyone help me out?

Canoes, too, are inobtrusive; they don't storm the natural world or ride over it, but drift in upon it as a part of its own silence.&&&&When you surpass yourself, success is assured.
IP Logged

Reply #16 - 06/08/14 at 09:58:48

Rusty Coons   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran

Wally,
I have a question about how the seats are locked into position when you get them set to the desired position. do you just weld a nut on the outer tube with a hole drilled through it to lock it down to the inner tube with a thumb screw? I thought this post may be nice to bring back to the top in case there are any other guys in the metal mulisha looking to upgrade.
Thanks
Rusty Coons
Platte County Paddlers
Boat #4132

IP Logged

Reply #17 - 06/08/14 at 13:01:34

FlyinLow   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
"Life is Entered Upon
with Courage"- A de T

Rusty,

I'm not Wally (never could find a cape to fit just right) but I've seen 2 different ways to keep the seats from sliding back. 

On my C1W there are holes drilled in the horizontal tubes.  Really only need a set on one side.  The holes are spaced about 1" apart I think.  I giant safety pin is then inserted through the appropriate hole for paddler leg length.   

The other way is to not use holes but to find a hose clamp that will fit around the tube.  I think the one I have has a large plastic knob you can turn.  You can then loosen it up to slide it back to desired position. 

My boat came with the first setup and I changed to the second one described.  I found the hose clamp easier to use to adjust seat position if I had to while on the water.

"Don't think you're on the right road just because it’s a well-beaten path."  ~Author Unknown
IP Logged

Reply #18 - 06/08/14 at 13:10:20

FlyinLow   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
"Life is Entered Upon
with Courage"- A de T

Here's a picture of the safety pin. Again, not the best.

"Don't think you're on the right road just because it’s a well-beaten path."  ~Author Unknown
IP Logged

Reply #19 - 06/08/14 at 13:20:56

FlyinLow   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
"Life is Entered Upon
with Courage"- A de T

In the previous picture you can also see the hose clamps that I moved from the foot brace.

There is also a third method and that is using a spring clamp.  You can see it in this picture.

Usually I've only seen a need for them on one side.  It will hold the seat from sliding aft.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print