Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop St. James WineryPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Seats (Read 14463 times)
01/07/12 at 23:03:46

dshook   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
A nation of shep begets
a government of wolves
Aurora, MO

So I'm trying to decide what kind of seat I want to use for the mr340 I'm looking at the Skwoosh seat cushions right now.  Any one have any experience with these?  Any other brands out there that make a good cushion?

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 01/08/12 at 01:15:38

Really Tired   Offline
7X MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran

The question of what seat cushion to use is an important one and comes up every year.  You might want to find the previous discussions on this topic in this forum.  Two that I could find are "Seat Cushions" (last posting 2/16/11) and "Another Thread on Seat Padding" (last posting 5/3/11).  There have been others.  In fact, anyone who has questions regarding food and water, equipment, maps and guides, performing bodily functions, clothing, strategy, etc. should look through the last few years of this forum for answers, because they are probably there.

But, to answer your question more directly -- Gel cushions are good at distributing pressure and will work for the majority of paddlers.  Unfortunately, gel cushions did not help me.  I was able to get the necessary rear end comfort with a Roho cushion. 
These are used in the medical care field for paraplegics to prevent pressure sores and are better than gel cushions but more expensive.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 01/08/12 at 09:03:57

Joewildlife   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Jackson MO

dittos on referring to older threads. Lots of good info there.
Two points about padding your seat:
1: it raises you up and could negatively affect stability
2: different strokes for different folks.  Air cushions are recommended by some but I find they disconnect me from the boat and hurt stability as well.  I need a firmer cushion.  I went with the multiple layers of closed cell foam, like the Gold's Gym excercise mats they sell at Wally World.  Held in place with contact/rubber cement.

Joe

And I ain't too old to hurry
Cause I ain't too old to die
But I sure am hard to beat
Ride on
AC/DC, Ride On
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 01/08/12 at 12:17:14

Meanhorse   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran

Last year I got a seat blank from Redfish Kayaks and it worked really good.

*Jay*

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 01/08/12 at 21:43:41

dshook   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
A nation of shep begets
a government of wolves
Aurora, MO

I had looked in the forum's and did not find anything that is why I posted the question.  Along with many other subjects I was wanting to learn about.

But now I see the error in my ways.  I did not realize the default on the search was "one week".

Now its time to do some real research.

Thanks for the info

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 01/08/12 at 21:48:39

Tim G   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Kawnivore Safety Boat Pilot
Gritty Fitty Veteran

I highly reccomend going to REI or some place similar and picking up a Ridge Rest foam mat.  It is made by Thermarest.  very great padding, it will run around $40 but you can get 3 or 4 seat cushions cut out of it.  I have all of my seats in all of my boats lined with it.  It is soft, dries quickly and stays fairly cool in the sun.  You will be left with quite a few scraps when you cut out the seats.  They are good for padding your foot braces as well as other odds and ends.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 01/08/12 at 22:28:32

dshook   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
A nation of shep begets
a government of wolves
Aurora, MO

Tim G wrote on 01/08/12 at 21:48:39:
I highly reccomend going to REI or some place similar and picking up a Ridge Rest foam mat.  It is made by Thermarest.  very great padding, it will run around $40 but you can get 3 or 4 seat cushions cut out of it.  I have all of my seats in all of my boats lined with it.  It is soft, dries quickly and stays fairly cool in the sun.  You will be left with quite a few scraps when you cut out the seats.  They are good for padding your foot braces as well as other odds and ends.

I do a lot of backpacking and I use this all the time.  guess I might have to cut mine up and see what I can come up with....... thanks

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 01/09/12 at 00:34:19
Jeff Needham   Ex Member

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 01/09/12 at 09:22:58

Paddle-Up   Offline
Future Participant
Dedicated to those who,
"Serve & Protect."!
Riverside, MO

Jeff;  that is a very comfortable looking seat.  Did you carve that, or does it come that way?

Terry:  "In war, there are no unwounded soldiers." -Jose Narosky.  Wink
IP Logged

Reply #9 - 01/09/12 at 09:36:16
Jeff Needham   Ex Member

That is not my seat. Not yet. You can Email Kudzu here and find out:  http://www.kudzucraft.com/contact/contact.php ; Just click the email link at the bottom he gets back to quickly

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 01/09/12 at 14:01:45

Los Humungos   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Sometimes wears a Wally
Werderich costume

I am expert on assology.  Smiley

All of the above recs are great.

I like the ridgerest pads.  Make sure you cut a notch for your tail bone.  Last year I tried a different type of foam and I really liked it.  I might put it a nose higher than ridgerest foam.  I tried this Zlight foam by thermarest (http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Therm-A-Rest-Z--Lite-Sleeping-Pad_...).  The reason I liked it a bit better is that it did not seem to smoosh down after lots of use like the ridge rest tends to do.  While I liked it better, it was not hands and feet better.  I am not going out and re fit my boats that presently have ridgerest with the Z Lite.  That being said, all of my future rigs will be outfitted with z lite over ridge rest.

Another option that seems to get good reviews from many is the bumfortable seat.  http://www.pxtkayaks.com/categories/Kayak-%26-Canoe-Seats/  I have one.  I like it, it is comfortable, but keep in mind that the seat will boost you up probably up over an inch higher.  This and difficulties adapting the bumfortables to a sliding seat in a canoe has prevented me from trying it in competition.  That being said, you do not have to worry about that if you do not have a sliding seat.  Also, it appears that since I have bought mine, they now have some new pieces that would make it easier to adapt to the sliding seat in a canoe.  (see the items in the link above).

Hut,
Wally

***EDIT- Please see reply #22 for an additional note on racing with the bumfortable
« Last Edit: 03/04/12 at 11:18:14 by Los Humungos »  

Sometimes when you are man, you wear stretchy pants...its for fun... -Nacho   
You do not get guns like these from riding a bike. -Matt Strieb
IP Logged

Reply #11 - 01/10/12 at 00:04:14

dshook   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
A nation of shep begets
a government of wolves
Aurora, MO

el thank you o

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 02/02/12 at 16:24:32

GeezerYakMan   Offline
MR340 Veteran
MO

I have a gel "Skwoosh" that I brought along on the 2011 MR340 ... never broke it out of storage.  I was using a Riot Brittany.  That seat is AMAZING!  Absolutely NO soreness at all.  As a matter of fact, I contacted Riot to purchase the seat configuration for my other yaks.  My other units are Rec boats and I used the Skwoosh all the time - it's a great seat and works well. 
Good luck!

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 02/23/12 at 08:25:12

Albatross   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Columbia, MO

Keep Calm And Paddle Hard
IP Logged

Reply #14 - 02/29/12 at 16:48:08
Valdez   Guest

Wally, could you post a few photos of your seats here?

Muchos gracias

IP Logged

Reply #15 - 02/29/12 at 20:13:44

Manitou Paddler   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
2X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Record Holder

Hey man, we don't want to see luchadorhorror seats.....its bad  Enough we have to see that junk in tights  Lips Sealed

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #16 - 03/04/12 at 00:04:06

Los Humungos   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Sometimes wears a Wally
Werderich costume

Manitou Paddler wrote on 02/29/12 at 20:13:44:
Hey man, we don't want to see luchadorhorror seats.....its bad  Enough we have to see that junk in tights  Lips Sealed

You love it and you know it Smiley. Luchapleasure!

I will take some pics of the seats and post them soon.

Hut

IP Logged

Reply #17 - 03/04/12 at 10:40:22

Los Humungos   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Sometimes wears a Wally
Werderich costume

Here is a picture of what I like best. These are two of the Wenonah "tractor" style big seats with Z-lite padding.  Notice that they are padded in two different ways.

photo1.JPG (41 KB | )
photo1.JPG

IP Logged

Reply #18 - 03/04/12 at 10:41:32

Los Humungos   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Sometimes wears a Wally
Werderich costume

This is a smaller Wenonah racing style with a ridge rest pad.  Notice the notch cut out for your tail bone.  Also notice that the pad is cross hatched.  I personally like the cross hatched pad.  This was my seat for the 2010 MR340.

*Also, noticie how the padding is kind of smooshed from use.
« Last Edit: 03/04/12 at 12:28:48 by Los Humungos »  

photo2.JPG (33 KB | )
photo2.JPG

IP Logged

Reply #19 - 03/04/12 at 10:42:39

Los Humungos   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Sometimes wears a Wally
Werderich costume

Another racing style with ridgerest and a tailbone hole.

photo4.JPG (109 KB | )
photo4.JPG

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print