Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com kcpaddler.comepic kayaks and paddles SUPStLouisMissouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Lewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center St. James Winery Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgmr340 shirtDents Unlimited2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WOW  What a race day!!! (Read 2838 times)
10/02/11 at 09:42:07

PappysSupportTeam   Offline
6X Ground Crew Veteran
North of the River K C MO

Thanks Scott, Crew & Wamego for the great race. Tres Tandems got their intial voyage in and loved the boat, the team and especially the Wamego Bucks they won at the awards ceremony. There was a bar directly across from the stage with a sign WELCOME BIKERS. TRES TAMDEMS & other paddling teams outlasted many many bikers that came and went.  I kept busy going here and there buying food and bringing it back to carry on my support team duties. It was a blast. Pappy came close to going to the other side as he consorted with a group of women bikers who where there but he came over when his pitcher got empty. Next year I bet they"ll have a sign Welcome Paddlers! 

I loved seeing all the costumes also. I don't think anybody had a bigger smile on her face the whole day than Aleha Johnson 7 years old who paddled and placed with her father Kevin. WOW!! That is just really neat. Congrats also to our Rivermiles leader, Scott, who placed 1st in the mixed tandem division with his partner Kate - soon to be his wife! Congrats to ALL!
Count down gets serious.

Always There!
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 10/02/11 at 10:21:41

Rumelyeoilpull   Offline
MR340 Veteran
2X Kawlloween Veteran
Kawnivore Safety Boat Pilot
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Lone Jack Mo

Aleah and I had a GREAT time.  Smiley She carried her own weight. She only took 1 break at 17miles in to eat some raisins then it was back to work.

She says that she has found her sport.  It probably will not take many years for her to eclipse her old man.

She paddled with me quite a lot in the V1A this year.  We may have to try the Twisted 27 together next year.

Only down side was I have to admit I finished behind a 7 year old girl! Wink

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 10/02/11 at 10:35:13

PolishPrince   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran

Thanks to all how made my first race a success and fun to boot!
I survived my initial "dunking" when boarding my boat to have a great time.
wamego, you have a great town, looking forward to next year already
best of all, no longer a "future participant"!!!!!!

"that's the problem with work, too much instability!!!"
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 10/02/11 at 15:11:10

Hondo   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Corder, MO

Great day for a race and the beautiful fall weather was appreciated, so whoever set that up deserves big thanks!  Seriously though, it was a fun day and loved seeing everyone out there again.  However, if I find out which one of you jokers tied that anchor to my boat.......... Wink

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 10/02/11 at 18:28:56

kayakcouncil_H   Offline
Gritty Fitty Veteran
2X Kawlloween Veteran
Kawlloween Record Holder
Lawrence, KS

Ditto to the above!  Thank you, Scott and the Rivermiles crew for putting on another fantastic race.  And thank you to the city of Wamego for hosting us.  I have never been to Wamego but so glad that the race ended up there.  What a fun festival!

-Heather

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 10/02/11 at 21:21:51

Dead Last Johnnie   Ex Member

It was a beautiful race and race day. The time I spent paddling with Kevin and his daughter Aleah was very pleasant and passed the miles quickly. Thanks Barry for the shuttle ride to the start of the race. I saw that the rookie in the homemade blue wood and fiberglass boat finished the race but I want to know how the boat did. Anybody know? Thanks to Scott nad the entire Rivermiles crew for a wonderfull time!

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 10/03/11 at 22:22:08

Ladsurfski   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
5X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawlloween Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran
4X Kawlloween Veteran

OK, I have to admit, I was a little pessimistic about the changing of venue for an already great race...Kawlloween from Lawrence to Edwardsville...however, change is good. The weather was great, the Kaw had ample water and flow, and the festivities and hospitality in Wamego sure added to the fun. I plan on being there again next year!

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 10/03/11 at 22:49:26

Meanhorse   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran

I agree,
     This was a great race. The weather and the river were perfect. I was nerves about the race beforehand because it was only the third time I had my boat out (the blue home made one) and the first two times I had a hard time staying right side up. Looks like I just needed a little more time in it. Every thing went well on the river, I stayed right side up and like the way it handled. Looking forward to the next race.
                                                     *Jay*

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 10/04/11 at 20:55:35

Dmon   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran
Elsah, IL

Like everyone else, this was a fantastic event! This was my first ever paddling race and I had a blast! I am proud to have been on the river with you great folks. Thanks!

Also a LOUD shout out to Piddle Paddle for the SUP Prizes. If you all are curious about Stand Up Please give them a shout! They know their stuff, are family owned and run and embody the kind of spirit we all see on these forums daily...well...with the exception of some soapbox style rants that is!  Grin
See ya'll at the 340!

-D

You experience your thought.
IP Logged

Reply #9 - 10/08/11 at 11:46:25

Old Crow   Offline
MR340 Veteran
2X Gritty Fitty Veteran
2X Kawlloween Veteran
Belton Missouri

After the race when I got ready to leave the ramp.  I found a orange fish net bag with several items in it along with a small cushin.  I have these items.  If the owner will contact me at 816 518 0680 I will get them to you.  As I know that you want these items.  Note when I left it was late and there was no one around.  Rudy

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 10/24/11 at 16:08:25

Mary Lyn in Wamego   Offline
Race Volunteer

Thanks for all the positive feedback about Wamego and what we had to offer for OZtoberFest! We couldn't have had a better day and glad you enjoyed your chamber bucks - saw quite a few spent at the Oz Winery and Lincoln Street Station/Barleycorn's! It was great to have another river race, and kudos to those that made it so quickly down the Kaw. Guess we will have to see if we can have a little more water for the Kawnivore next year, unless you really liked the challenge!

We are possibly thinking about a tin man triathlon next year at OZtoberFest time - paddling, running, biking!
It would be possible to do any of the 3 separately, and we did have two participate in the run/river race this year. Please let me know if this is of interest to any of you. We would probably only do the river race portionn from St. George, or I guess could have mulitple starting positions if some wanted a longer race. I will defer to your expertise, and look forward to your feedback.

Thanks again for coming to Wamego. We have lots of other things going on throughout the year - please join us anytime!

Mary Lyn

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print