Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop St. James WineryPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Do you have a gps that you like? (Read 7373 times)
09/10/11 at 21:13:13

Los Humungos   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Sometimes wears a Wally
Werderich costume

I have had and used an etrex legend cx GPS for the past 6 years and liked it. I have used it for many canoe races and liked it for that use.  Unfortunately, I just lost it.  I am going to buy another GPS, and my knee jerk reaction is just to buy another legend cx.  Before I did though, I thought I would inquire if anyone here had one that they liked and further inquire why you liked it.  Maybe I should look into a newer better GPS.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Hut,
Wally
« Last Edit: 09/10/11 at 22:52:03 by Los Humungos »  

Sometimes when you are man, you wear stretchy pants...its for fun... -Nacho   
You do not get guns like these from riding a bike. -Matt Strieb
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 09/10/11 at 21:41:35

deluca1976   Offline
MR340 Veteran
St. Louis

I've been shopping around for a GPS as well (never had one before). It's difficult for a GPS newbie like me to know just what you need for certain things. I saw the file that someone was kind enough to post that contained the 6,000+ waypoints of the channel that the Army Corps of Engineers supposedly uses to set the buoys, and it's in .gpx format.

I have narrowed down my search to a Magellan eXplorist 310 (about $190 at various places).

I don't need all of the fancy stuff, since I'll only be using it for kayaking.

Anyone have a decent GPS that's still sold new by the manufacturer that is a little more budget-friendly than the eXplorist 310 and can also accept user-loaded .gpx files, is good to see on a sunny day, and "waterproof" (which means it's meets the 60 second dunk test)?

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 09/11/11 at 10:30:30

Dave Tlusty   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Wisconsin

Wally,
I started out with an Etrex also.  When that stopped working, I tried a couple others including a Delorme PN20 and a Bushnell onix 200.   While the Delorme did what I wanted, it didn't seem to be user friendly as the Etrex.  And the Bushnell, forget it! A complete waste of time/money.  
I'm now back to a very user friendly Garmin Dakota 10.  Nice unit, very easy to use, battery life is exceptional.  I didn't know how I would like the touch screen but it was absolutely no problem!!  Much easier than using the buttons on the Etrex!   I used the 10 for the Kawnivore and had enough waypoints in it that we could tell which way the river bent ahead of us (at night of course... ).  The display dims down real nice at night so its not blinding you.  I bought a nice clip on mount for it but attached a 'safety' lanyard.. I'm glad I did or it would still be glowing somewhere in the sand on the bottom of the Kansas River!   I didn't load any extra, more detailed maps... thats about $100 extra.   I would recommend sticking with Garmin.  Maybe check out the little bigger Oregon series with a good base map preloaded.   For sure, load any river waypoints or routes that you can get your hands on.

Good luck.      

I'm still buying the Leinies and you're bringing tequila... it was supposed to be after the 'early' 340 race...  Maybe next year.

Dave Tlusty

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 09/11/11 at 16:19:48

PolishPrince   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran

just purchased and used for the first time today on the water, eTrex venture hc.
does what i want, tracks, miles waypoints.
thus far am very happy with it.
could use a tutorial on the topo software though.

"that's the problem with work, too much instability!!!"
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 09/11/11 at 17:09:25

Mark Bramer   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Sanity checked at the
door
Maryland Heights, MO

Wally, I have the DeLorme PN-60 and love it, but the Topo North America 9.0 software is challenging, to say the least.  Once you get it figured out, though, it's awesome to be able to see aerial imagery of the river, especially when paddling at night.  I loaded the river channel, all the checkpoints, all the mile markers, and several significant features like islands, rivers, non-checkpoint boat ramps, etc.  With all of that loaded, the GPS comes in really handy when the hallucinations start and you can't always trust your own judgment.  The PN-60 isn't for everybody, but whatever you buy, consider getting one that allows you to customize the imagery.  And if you come down a few days early again, you're welcome to give my GPS a test run.

18' QCC 700X&&http://www.active.com/donate/paddle2battle&&Paddling to battle cancer one stroke at a time
IP Logged

Reply #5 - 09/11/11 at 19:28:36

msudoc   Offline
MR340 Veteran

just got a garmin 62s  after a bunch of research  not much time with it but the reviews are good

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 09/12/11 at 09:04:28

MoSportmen   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Macon, MO

I got a Magellan Triton last winter.  I am getting better at using it. I bought it on clearance at the local Wally world store.  I think the model has been phased out.

I have found the Magellan software and hardware connectivity to be VERY frustrating. 

It works well if I keep it away from my computer, a little hungry on batteries.  It has taken a swim several time and not had a problem with water.

Sometimes I like to go http://TotallyNUTSS.com
IP Logged

Reply #7 - 09/12/11 at 10:29:44

Joewildlife   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Jackson MO

I'm all about the Garmin 76 series since they became standard issue at work.

4 real nice features:
waterproof
floats
big screen
buttons on front, not sides

Con's--battery life on non-color units is bad, but can be rectified with pricey Lithium AAs during race conditions

Also, the older units are cheap on eBay.  They work seamlessly with MapSource software and sharing tracks and waypoints is very easy.

I have two on my fishing boat and one on my canoe.

Joe

And I ain't too old to hurry
Cause I ain't too old to die
But I sure am hard to beat
Ride on
AC/DC, Ride On
IP Logged

Reply #8 - 09/16/11 at 17:59:02

BS Paddlers   Offline
Future Participant

I found that you can get a free app on the Android Market called GeoBeagle.  It is an app for geochaching.  You can then load this gpx file and see all the checkpoints and a straight line distance to the checkpoint and ground crews can use it for turn by turn navigation to the checkpoint.  

It won't give you all the fancy stuff but it is kinda a poor mans gps.

MO340_003.gpx (24 KB | )
IP Logged

Reply #9 - 09/16/11 at 19:38:54

Joewildlife   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Jackson MO

One thing I kinda took for granted, the 76 has a trip computer, and you can set up screens to read out what you might want to know...  Not sure if other models have it or not.

miles paddled
total elapsed time
moving time
time of day
average speed
moving average speed
stopped time
etc...

The speedometer is probably what I look at the most.  Know how fast your are going, know your physical condition at the time and know when you are in "good" water or bad.

Joe

And I ain't too old to hurry
Cause I ain't too old to die
But I sure am hard to beat
Ride on
AC/DC, Ride On
IP Logged

Reply #10 - 09/16/11 at 21:36:39

Dave Tlusty   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Wisconsin

Joe, the Garmin Dakota series also has that feature and its easy to use.  I suspect the Oregon series also has that.  From a menu of items like you listed, you pick what you want to see displayed and also pick the display order.  Pretty neat feature.   Also the Dakota (a touch screen unit) has 6 main menu items you see on the first screen... that screen is also customizable (and very easy to do!). Main menu possible selections include:

Map
Where to?
Trip computer (shows what you selected as Joe mentioned above)
Waypoint averaging (I'm a surveyor and use this feature out in the woods)
Waypoint Manager
Mark Waypoint
The above 6 are what I have on my first screen (I call it the main menu)

Other items available to put on the first screen (or easily accessed by scrolling the touch screen) include:
Calculator
Route Planner
Compass
Active Route
Setup
Track Manager
Calendar
Area Calculation
Sun and Moon
Geocaches
Hunt and fish
Stopwatch
Profile Change
Man overboard

Stuff like that you don't often get to see when looking at GPS displays in a store, thats why its so hard to decide what to get!  I've been there!  Best is to borrow a unit from a buddy, try it for a few days, return it to your buddy with a 12 pack and then go buy your own.... or find another buddy, more beer etc.     Smiley

I was watching the speedometer on the Dakota during the Kawnivore.  When you were in the current (what current?!@!) you could see the speed pickup about 1.5 to 2 mph.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 09/20/11 at 10:22:07

Los Humungos   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Sometimes wears a Wally
Werderich costume

Thank you everyone for your input on this.

Fore me...

The good news:  A nice little girl found my GPS and returned it to me.

The bad news:  After the input from this thread and doing some GPS shopping, I want to buy a new one anyways.  Smiley

Thanks again.

Hut,
Wally

Sometimes when you are man, you wear stretchy pants...its for fun... -Nacho   
You do not get guns like these from riding a bike. -Matt Strieb
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print