Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop St. James WineryPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hate to say it, but piss jugs? (Read 17436 times)
04/13/11 at 19:08:28

babaoriley21   Offline
Future Participant

I hate to have to ask this...but does anyone have any good ideas for a "piss jug" or whatever u wanna call it.  I would like to figure out a way that minimizes me having to get up or something like that.  Man, do i feel dumb even askin about this, but i know u guys got them.

Justin
Team Dancin' Moon Trouts

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 04/13/11 at 19:22:35

Manitou Paddler   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
2X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Record Holder

This is a real issue....don't feel dumb....something all need to think about....I have used a big gulp cup ....and when in ski have used a bag due to Inability to use cup due to hump under legs....on my outrigger this year, I even have installed a funnel in the foam seat with a tube to foot well...so venturi will draw out processed fluids .....you do not want to be sitting in the equivalent of an adult wet diaper for 40-50 hours.

There have been Texas racers that used boat as latrine ....and you did not want to get down wind of that boat....makes a cat box smell like roses

You do need to figure it out and for sure do not
Mix up the "bottle" with gatoraide Tongue

Bryan

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 04/13/11 at 21:12:08
Osprey   Ex Member

Pee in bottle, pee in bag, pee in boat.  All these are common solutions.  I mean common.  It's a pretty easy thing to splash water on your crotch to rinse yourself if you pee in the boat.  Bryan is right, the ski is a bit more of a challenge.  I like his solution.  Open canoe and kayak are easy to pee in a bottle.  Ladies can use a GoGirl assist thingy.  Allows them to sort of pee like a guy.  But, if you pee in the boat, you'll want to get the PineSol out afterward to wash the bilge out.  Don't use anything that would damage your boat's material when cleaning.

Now, for bowel movements, you can pull over almost anywhere or wait until a checkpoint.  Many folks experience a digestive shut down about halfway through the first day until after the race.  Bring wet wipes, for sure.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 04/13/11 at 23:20:24

WAIMANU   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran

A RED water bottle sits behind the seat of the DreamCatcher and the task is no real problem. It is strange, almost funny how the ground crew never go near "the red bottle" when they are cleaning out the garbage from the cockpit!!!

However this year I will try to wait until I am well past Lisbon Bottoms and the long right hand bend around Jameson Island before I use it!!! That is where a cottage full of spectators/supporters on the left bank, can often heard shouting out paddlers names as they pass by. I believe that using binoculars they obtain the boat number and then check a roster printout, thus the personal encouragement. Last year I heard the shouts "Canada" coming from over my left shoulder - that was right after I put the red bottle back in its resting place behind the seat! Embarrassed Grin Huh  Raised my paddle several times in response.

Thanks folks, always appreciate the encouragement. Smiley Wink

Bill / Waimanu

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 04/13/11 at 23:33:44

awaller   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

Last year I used an external "Texas" Catheter.  Simply put,  it's just like a rubber, only it has a latex tube attached to the end.  You can get them at any medical supply store for a couple of bucks a piece.  Normally, you would attach it to a bag that straps on to your leg, but to make it easier to empty, I picked up a standard hospital urinal with a snap on lid.  I just velcroed the jug to the bottom of my boat and ran the hose down and out my pant leg, into a hole in the lid.  I typically got  three uses out of it before it needed emptying.

All in all, it worked great.  First of all, I had absolutely no comfort issues.  These things are made to be worn all day, every day.  The type that I ended up using actually had an inch or two of adhesive on the inside of the device to keep it from slipping off.  I thought for sure this would wreak havoc on my nether regions after a couple of days,  but to be perfectly honest, I could hardly tell I had it on.  Even after 60hrs straight. 

It takes a little getting used to, but once you've taken a leak while paddling, without missing a stroke (and without having to relive the time you wet yourself during storytime in kindergarten),  you won't have it any other way.

The only issues I had were with the delivery and storage system. I purposely did not seal the hose to the lid so that I could easily stand up and get out at checkpoints (and so I didn't have a 32oz jug of liquid tethered to my junk if I were to get tipped over) Shocked.  The hose easily came out to stand up, and could be easily tucked back into the jug upon re-entry.  The problem is that gravity creates a bit of a vacuum, preventing all of the fluid from draining out into the jug.  Upon standing, I would get a bit of a dribble into the boat (and often right on my foam seat pad).  And then there was the issue of accidental over filling...  Not good...

I think if you could skip the jug and find a way to send the fluids directly overboard (venturi, check valve, bailer etc) this setup would be flawless... for guys at least...

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 04/14/11 at 06:22:59

West Hansen   Offline
7X MR340 Veteran
2X MR340 Record Holder
3X Gritty Veteran
Kawnivore Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Record Holder
He who hesitates is lunch.
--Chuck Darwin
Austin, Texas, Third Coast

Guys, hold the paddle in one hand and your tool in the other. Aim over the side, pinching as needed to increase distance and aim. Do a little splash for hygiene.
Gals in a canoe, get a large margerine or butter tub. Tie it to the boat with a long enough piece of twine. Keep it under your seat. When needed, pull your knickers down a bit, slide forward on your seat so all the importart parts are foward of the seat. Aiim for the butter tub. Fill. Empty. Pull up knickers. Continue paddling.
Gals in a kayak, pull over on a sandbar. Go to town. Get back in and paddle. --West

Cognitive Dissonance: when being wrong just isn't an option.
IP Logged

Reply #6 - 04/14/11 at 09:44:18

eloerke   Offline
Kawnivore Veteran
Dallas, TX

I think I can speak on behalf of all female paddlers: we officially have weenis envy.
That's all.
Happy Thursday,
Em
http://www.todaysletters.com/search/label/MR340

Paddling for parenthood.
IP Logged

Reply #7 - 04/14/11 at 10:03:25
Osprey   Ex Member

Em:
Go look up GoGirl online.  It's an effective product.

Dan

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 04/14/11 at 10:42:32

eloerke   Offline
Kawnivore Veteran
Dallas, TX

dan,

pink or camo? that is the question.
thanks for the link!

em
http://www.todaysletters.com/search/label/MR340

Paddling for parenthood.
IP Logged

Reply #9 - 04/14/11 at 14:43:22

babaoriley21   Offline
Future Participant

Haha, i so didnt think i would get this many responses on this topic!!  I guess everyones gotta pee though.  Thanks for all the ideas.  I think i know which one ill use, just dont be alarmed when you see pee dripping out my pant leg!!

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 04/14/11 at 15:36:05

Ned - White Rock Navy   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Dallas, TX

This is the one thing I didn't consider last year so it's good that you brought it up.

Early on in the race I caught up with a guy who was sitting quietly in his kayak, with his hands folded in his lap (I thought) and his head down. As I paddled up to him I asked if he was praying. That's when I found out about how to do this.

Grabbed a bottle at the next check point and used it well and often during the rest of the race!

Ned

Ned - White Rock Navy
IP Logged

Reply #11 - 04/14/11 at 17:14:02

natecanoes   Offline
MR340 Veteran

I just went at the checkpoints, and twice on shore. Couldn't make myself go in the boat. I'll have to practice that this summer. I tried, but it really is suprising how if you aren't used to it, it can be kinda difficult.

Nothing to be shy about in asking though.....everyone has to do it. I don't think peeing will be a problem this year for me, but #2 is always going to be an onshore deal.
Always remember the TP. There was one time I had to pull over past Jeff city in the woods, and I did have a couple checkpoint restrooms that were out.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 04/14/11 at 21:58:47

Mark Bramer   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Sanity checked at the
door
Maryland Heights, MO

I have one of these.  It works great!

18' QCC 700X&&http://www.active.com/donate/paddle2battle&&Paddling to battle cancer one stroke at a time
IP Logged

Reply #13 - 04/15/11 at 09:51:41

kaufmanjd   Offline
MR340 Veteran
2X Gritty Fitty Veteran
2X Kawlloween Veteran
Kawlloween Record Holder

West Hansen wrote on 04/14/11 at 06:22:59:
Guys, hold the paddle in one hand and your tool in the other. Aim over the side, pinching as needed to increase distance and aim. Do a little splash for hygiene.
--West

After a lot of experience with the pee-bottle I found the "pee over the side" method to be vastly superior -even in a big canoe.  

If you can't generate enough trajectory you don't REALLY need to go.....keep paddling for a few more hours!

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 04/16/11 at 06:34:57

bama1   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
2X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Ozark, Mo

I use the item above as well.  Works great and hooks just about anywhere.

Roll Tide
IP Logged

Reply #15 - 04/16/11 at 16:17:08

EB   Offline
Future Participant

We're using empty Maxwell House coffee cans(the plastic ones with handles)...I've used them on fishing trips and normal float trips.

IP Logged

Reply #16 - 04/16/11 at 16:18:22

Joewildlife   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Jackson MO

I took a gallon jug about the size of an antifreeze bottle and cut out an area about 4" by 4" all around the cap.  It served as a pee jug but also would work well as a bailer should I need it. 

To each his own...but I would never piss in the bilge of my boat and the thought of wearing a external catheter for 50+ hours conjures up images of flesh eating fungus and bacteria on places I really don't want them.  Splashing river water on the nether regions sounds like a bad idea as well....I aim for dryness in the crotch area to ward off crotch rot.

Joe

And I ain't too old to hurry
Cause I ain't too old to die
But I sure am hard to beat
Ride on
AC/DC, Ride On
IP Logged

Reply #17 - 04/18/11 at 09:14:23
Mr Magoo and Curlytop Too   Ex Member

Great topic.  I can't help but add a couple of excerpts from our MR 340 story of two years ago (our first year)..  I hope my wife forgives me.  The answer was a plastic coffee can of a hard to find size, molded with a built in handle. 

“I’m not doing that!”

These were not words that I had heard very often from Brigitte.  Oh, she challenges practically every idea I have making sure all of her concerns are addressed.  I suppose lying in a creek bed, eye swelling shut, water rushing over her and her new mountain bike, or perhaps being strapped to a sled and pulled down an icy mountain in Colorado with a snapped ACL, has caused her to question more, before agreeing to anything. But this was different.  You see, after gathering EVERYTHING we would need for the race, she asked, “How am I going to pee?” “ Well, sweetheart,” I assured her  “we’ll get a can of some sort.”  Her declaration that this was not going to happen was followed by a discussion of average bank conditions (very muddy), the time involved in pulling over, the attention stopping so often would draw, and other topics, from hygiene to the fairness of our creator.   At last she agreed to try.  The mission then became to find the perfect can.  This was now the most important piece of equipment on planet earth, and our military would’ve been proud of the list of specifications.  It would have to be big enough, but not too big; tall enough, but not too tall; strong enough to hold up, and small enough to be stored discreetly.  After much searching, and almost giving up, we found THE perfect vessel.  This was the only piece of equipment that was not tested prior to race day...... 

Brigitte had perfected a method of tinkling that was absolutely undetectable to anyone more than 15 feet away.  Even in the seat behind her, I couldn’t always tell.   She slid the can forward from under the seat, with an ever so slight change of height and position, garment adjustment, and all that’s left is disposal.  She then asks, “How do couples that aren’t married do this?”  “That’s easy,” I replied, “she stands up farther.”

IP Logged

Reply #18 - 04/19/11 at 21:36:18

akci   Offline
MR340 Veteran

I used a plastic quart milk jug last year with great success.  Cut a large  Roll Eyes hole on top and left the molded handle in place.  Tied some string around the handle to under the seat so it wouldn't get lost.  I liked it because it was narrow and deep enough not to splatter and held plenty of "liquid". 

Be careful with a smaller bottle.  The stream is very difficult to shut off if you overflow!!

IP Logged

Reply #19 - 05/02/11 at 23:26:45

BoatBro   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Keep Diggin'
Canton,Ga soon Charlotte, NC

The mantra around here is "NEVER drink from a yellow bottle". The color was chosen due to its resemblace to the intended contents.

If I own 10 canoes and kayaks should I be referred to as "Commodore"?
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print