Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop St. James WineryPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RANDOM TIPS (Read 5126 times)
02/14/11 at 19:52:24

JoshS   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
3X Gritty Veteran
2X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot
Forum Moderator
Kawnivore Veteran

Thought I would start a new thread of random tips, things too weird or obscure to make it to the FAQ thread.

I have never liked wind in my eyes when on bicycle or motorcycle because it dries them out.  Before last year all my night paddling had been on lakes, so during the 340 my speed relative to the ground was much higher than before.  After taking off my sunglasses in the evening I found it very annoying and dried my eyes out.  Bothered me to a point that I tried to paddle with my eyes closed, (someone else was steering).  Lesson learned next year I will wear a clear pair of shooting glasses at night.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 02/14/11 at 20:11:40

Manitou Paddler   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
2X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Record Holder

Midge hatch (little nats) can be amazing in July....to the point that looks like a brown smoke on river and clear glasses are critical to keeping the critters out of eyes...another reason why head lamps suck for night paddling

They still get in ears and mouth....but that is just extra  protien  Smiley

Tip....have a tray to put food in....you do not want to eat a sandwich that falls into the evil bilge water that forms in the bottom of the boat....even though I have anyway Lips Sealed

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 02/14/11 at 20:35:14

Christina   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
2X MR340 Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran
Kawnivore Record Holder
3X Gritty Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran

I like the clear glasses (like safety glasses) for night, too.  And if the little hatching critters are out, know that they taste like celery. Another reason to have some peanut butter item to snack on...the tastes compliment each other.   Wink

Here is my random tip:  Red or yellow shirts worn by ground crew make them easier to spot from the water.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 02/18/11 at 22:59:14

Los Humungos   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Sometimes wears a Wally
Werderich costume

Often times it is very hard to eat during the race because you are exerting so much effort.  Your body just does not want food, but you need it badly.  At that point, a food supplement like Boost or Ensure is good to consume.  The calories in the supplement are easily broken down by your body into energy.  Also, the supplement is easy to consume even when your body is rejecting other types of food.

Wally Werderich
Los Humungos Paddleos

Sometimes when you are man, you wear stretchy pants...its for fun... -Nacho   
You do not get guns like these from riding a bike. -Matt Strieb
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 02/18/11 at 23:05:08

Los Humungos   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Sometimes wears a Wally
Werderich costume

Use broom clips fastened to your thwarts as a way to attach spare paddles to your boat.

Wally Werderich
Los Humungos Paddleos

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 02/18/11 at 23:11:55

Los Humungos   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Sometimes wears a Wally
Werderich costume

A marble taped to the on/off button of your flashlight (it works with many flashlights, but I do it with a maglight) makes the flashlight much easier to turn on and off when your hands aren't working well from excessive paddling.   Also, with the marble on the flashlight, if the flashlight is mounted to the bow of your boat, the flashlight can be turned on and off without leaning forward to reach it.  All you need to do is simply slap the flashlight with your paddle.

W
LHP

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 02/19/11 at 07:31:27

jimmiethejet   Offline
MR340 Veteran

A tip from my dermatologist.   Take chapstick and gloss up your eyebrows.  This keeps sweat from running down into your eyes.  Even though I don't have a highly coveted uni-brow...... I run the chapstick all the way across to help make a full barrier.  It works.   Besides, people leave you alone when they get a good, face on, look at you.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 02/19/11 at 09:41:22

West Hansen   Offline
7X MR340 Veteran
2X MR340 Record Holder
3X Gritty Veteran
Kawnivore Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Record Holder
He who hesitates is lunch.
--Chuck Darwin
Austin, Texas, Third Coast

Bright red lipstick works really well in case you run out of chapstick for your unibrow.

J and J canoe equipment has a whole bunch of little doo dads we use to outfit racing canoes and kayaks. Here's the link:
http://www.jjcanoe.com/prod_A.html

There are so any tiny nothing sized things that mean a lot when rigging a boat. These guys have a lot of that specialized stuff. --West

Cognitive Dissonance: when being wrong just isn't an option.
IP Logged

Reply #8 - 02/19/11 at 11:43:50

jimmiethejet   Offline
MR340 Veteran

The lip gloss with glitter is a nice touch too and  the barge's spotlight picks it up at night from about 200 yards.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 02/19/11 at 17:22:29

Tim G   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Kawnivore Safety Boat Pilot
Gritty Fitty Veteran

West, thanks for the link.  Great stuff
Jim, be sure that if you use the sparkle gloss to wear the hot pink pfd to go along with it.  You may want to use a bedazzler on it too and get all rhinestoned up.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 02/20/11 at 20:56:26

goldfishgoddess   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
The Docks, Pembrokeshire Wales

Pool Noodles
Cut up pool noodles in half lengthwise and in 12 inch segments and use for shoving under pressure points, such as heels and hips.  If you load your dry bags with soft clothes on one side, you can stuff one under each knee to vary leg position when in a kayak or canoe.

Trash bags
Have one on hand at each checkpoint to give to your crew filled with your trash, and have them give you a fresh one.  Keep the river clean, retrieve any wrappers or trash that gets blown out of your boat.   We love Vicki and Steve.

Misc comfort bag
Zantac, pepto, aspirin, cushioned waterproof tape, hand spray, chafing stick, eyedrops, allergy medicines, bug itch cream, mini toothbrush etc. 

Lots of love from Wales, United Kingdom.
IP Logged

Reply #11 - 02/22/11 at 11:49:48

Los Humungos   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Sometimes wears a Wally
Werderich costume

I just posted a few more on the Los Humungos Paddleos blog.  The first batch was posted on Feb 22nd.  I plan to post more on the blog.

http://loshumungos.blogspot.com/

The tips are in regards to nutrition/eating.

Hut,
Wally "Mastodontico" Werderich
Los Humungos Paddleos

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print