Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop St. James WineryPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 10
Send Topic Print
Frequently Asked Questions (Read 148895 times)
Reply #20 - 02/18/11 at 21:06:09

goldfishgoddess   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
The Docks, Pembrokeshire Wales

Q:  It's so hot and humid, how am I going to stand wearing a PFD the entire time?

A:  Consider buying a waist/ belt pack PFD.  To inflate, pull the cord and a CO2 charger inside the pack will immediately blow it up in front of you, and then you just need to put your head through the hole.  Remember that if you need to deploy your waist pack PFD during the MR340, you'll have to rearm the PFD with a new CO2 charger.  So it might be a good idea to bring an extra charger or two with you.    Also, if it's possible to look at the PFD inside your pack (uninflated) check and make sure the thing will fit over your head.  Mine had a very small headhole and so what a surprise for me while being swept rapidly downriver to find I had to hold my inflated PFD against me like a surfboard.

-----

RookinIraq-- bless your heart and be sure to introduce yourself to everyone.  As far as the wing paddle, you're going to hear over and over to use a small wing for marathons.  A week before my first MR340 I got a mid-wing and taught myself to use it and it was just fine.  And I bet you are ten times stronger than I am!   If you want tips on how to paddle with a wing, do a search in You Tube and you will find a treasure trove of videos on techniques.  This will give you a really general idea of the different stroke needed with a wing.  Then, with that basic technique, let the paddle teach you the rest.  Be sure to test it on both flat water and rougher water so you can get both a good smooth speed stroke going as well as a solid brace with your wing.  Paddle your wing in wind to get a feel for how a wing feels in headwinds.  Don't forget you need a spare paddle for the race.  If you can't get a second wing, train with both just to be sure. 

The QCC600 is an awesome boat.  It is rated as an intermediate to advanced user boat by QCC Kayaks, most likely cause it's only 21 inches wide.   The Dagger Axis 12 is 27 inches wide so it's going to be more stable, but because it's only 12 feet long it will likely be a lot slower on the water than the 16 1/2 foot long QCC 600.  Hopefully you'll have a chance to paddle before you borrow a boat and see what feels best to you.  Wish you the best and hope you have an awesome experience and make a lot of new friends.

Lots of love from Wales, United Kingdom.
IP Logged

Reply #21 - 02/20/11 at 08:41:39

Joewildlife   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Jackson MO

The Onyx belt PFDs are on sale right now at Bass Pro Shops.  Hellbender and I got them for last year's 340....highly recommended.  Without going into the inflatable vs. std pfd debate...  I now wear the Onyx all the time when I'm fishing, regardless of boat.

Here is a pic of the green LED light for the bow...I got a red one too and wired them to an 8 pack of AA batteries.  Very bright and it just velcroes to bow.

And I ain't too old to hurry
Cause I ain't too old to die
But I sure am hard to beat
Ride on
AC/DC, Ride On
IP Logged

Reply #22 - 02/20/11 at 08:42:31

Joewildlife   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Jackson MO

The Dot It 2 puck lights...red/green electrical tape available at Wally World Automotive...

Dot_It_H20.jpg (14 KB | )
Dot_It_H20.jpg

Ride on
AC/DC, Ride On
IP Logged

Reply #23 - 02/20/11 at 08:43:09

Joewildlife   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Jackson MO

The Ozark Trail mini lantern makes a cheap stern light and is very bright

Ride on
AC/DC, Ride On
IP Logged

Reply #24 - 02/20/11 at 10:47:30

rookinIraq   Offline
MR340 Veteran

Goldfishgoddes: Thank you I will be sure to introduce myself to everyone. But I am sure I will be the only one with a very bad Famers tan and white legs. Thanks to all of the encouragement I think I will go ahead an buy a mid wing. Have no idea how much time I will have on the water to practice. But I think after about 30 some odd hours of straight paddling I should start to get the hang of it. 

Thanks Everyone else for the lighting Ideas and the clear sunglasses for the bugs.

IP Logged

Reply #25 - 02/28/11 at 10:27:21

chuck and di   Offline
12X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
5X Gritty Fitty Veteran
MR340 Record Holder
Kawnivore Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Record Holder

Scott:

Is there a book for the 340 that includes the check points that have to be made?

Then is a map included to get to these check points?

My husband has no trouble with but he thinks there is a book about this.  We would appreciate  any info on this.

Thanks,

Jan Bruns  (Charles Bruns' wife)

If you find yourself suddenly smack dab in the middle of hell, stopping is not an option.
IP Logged

Reply #26 - 02/28/11 at 12:23:24
Scott   Ex Member

http://rivermiles.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1278767666

There is an attachment to click in the first post of the thread.  It's good stuff.

IP Logged

Reply #27 - 02/28/11 at 12:59:25

bigfoot   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Spring Hill KS

This is great info... One Question - Is Checkpoint #5 in the PDF correct?

IP Logged

Reply #28 - 02/28/11 at 13:22:57
Scott   Ex Member

Should be Katfish Katy's instead... seems like Derek came out with a Katfish version later... but I can't find the link.  Once someone finds it, I'll repost it and clean this all up on the FAQ thread.

IP Logged

Reply #29 - 03/14/11 at 19:44:55

napradoc   Offline
MR340 Veteran

Does the Corps of Engineers or the DNR sell any maps of the river???

Thanks

Steve

IP Logged

Reply #30 - 03/14/11 at 20:12:28

BradleyB   Offline
Kawnivore Veteran

army corps of eng. has a great map- you can buy one at moriver.org for $5

IP Logged

Reply #31 - 03/14/11 at 20:19:35

Walt Birmingham   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
3X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot
Forum Moderator
Chamois, MO

Check out this one   http://www.nwk.usace.army.mil/RiverCharts/Rec-n-Safety/  
Also check out DNR's    Lewis and Clark Water Trail  site.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story. (Mark Twain)       http://greatrivertimes.blogspot.com
IP Logged

Reply #32 - 03/18/11 at 12:14:50

napradoc   Offline
MR340 Veteran

Thanks for the leads on the map. Look forward to meeting everybody in July.

Steve

IP Logged

Reply #33 - 03/19/11 at 15:04:52

riverteeth   Offline
Future Participant

First time paddler looking for someone who might be willing to drive my truck from kc to st Charles after race starts. Other option would be to meet me at st charles on Sunday a take me and my kayak to kc leaving my truck in st charles. I will be coming from north alabama and will be happy to pay someone for  help. My email is riverteeth@yahoo.com thanks Steven Gregg

Answer:
Oftentimes, racers without ground crews can use the forum to find a volunteer or victim willing to spend a few days traveling with the ground support circus as it makes its way to St. Charles.  It's a rewarding job.  The ground crews have a blast.  It's a big, mobile 3 day party.
« Last Edit: 03/22/11 at 08:50:40 by N/A »  
IP Logged

Reply #34 - 03/21/11 at 19:44:35

napradoc   Offline
MR340 Veteran

Another rookie type question.
I presume that every checkpoint must be reached by the cutoff time???

Steve

IP Logged

Reply #35 - 03/22/11 at 08:48:20
Scott   Ex Member

Yes, paddlers must make the checkpoints before the cut off times.  This ensures the efficacy of our safety plan which keeps our safety boat halo manageable.  The times are quite generous and in 5 years we've probably had to eliminate less than 10 boats due to failure to make the cutoff. 

Those DQs were the result of either too much time out of the boat or a less than desirable hull choice.  (whitewater boat, etc.)

IP Logged

Reply #36 - 03/22/11 at 15:27:01

napradoc   Offline
MR340 Veteran

Thanks Scott

IP Logged

Reply #37 - 03/26/11 at 21:52:57

Joewildlife   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Jackson MO

Regarding maps...

I am  a map freak.  Give me a map and I know where I am at.  Give me a map and I am never lost.  I love maps.  I can relate to maps.  I have a terrible sense of direction, but with a map I won't get lost.

But I do know, this is a downstream race and you will not need or want to have a detailed map to tell you where you are and where you want to go.  You won't want to waste your time on navigation.  You are heading downsteam...that is what you need to know.  You need to know how to read the river, you need to know where the checkpoints are.  But beyond that, you do not need to navigate with maps....

Joe

Ride on
AC/DC, Ride On
IP Logged

Reply #38 - 04/19/11 at 22:11:22

unit1069   Offline
Future Participant

Quote:
Everyone is welcome to post FAQs to this thread... questions AND answers welcomed.  They will be edited and amended over time.   Folks searching for answers should browse the old forum threads extensively for all the best wisdom from 5 previous runnings of the 340.  But over time, we'll try to accumulate a bunch of it here.

Scott

1. When does registration start?

Registration will open at the stroke of midnight, New Year's Eve.  The limit for 2011 is 340 boats so sign up early and often.

I just found this site after searching the Internet for a month!  Is it too late for me to sign up for the race?  And just how do I sign up for the race?

IP Logged

Reply #39 - 04/20/11 at 08:16:47
Scott   Ex Member

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 10
Send Topic Print